1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Accidentally Record Themselves Conspiring to Fabricate Criminal Charges Against Protester

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HamJam, Sep 19, 2016.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-futu...conspiring-fabricate-criminal-charges-against

And like I always say when cops get caught doing things like this, we're only catching a small fraction of the times they are doing this. Considering how rarely they get recorded when they aren't aware, it would be Pollyannaish and naive to think we are catching anything other than a minuscule fraction of the times cops illegally frame, kill, brutalize and ruin people's lives.

These cops haven't been charged by the way, and it took the person they were trying to frame more than a year to get the charges dismissed -- and that is when their little conspiracy against him was on tape. The mass majority of people cops do this to of course don't have that advantage -- so just imagine how much more hopeless their situations are -- which, again, is pretty much all people this happens to.

Also, don't forget cops kill about 1000 people per year and that we have the highest incarceration rate in the developed world by far -- and then remember that the primary thing holding cops accountable is the cops themselves. Cops like the ones caught on tape framing this protester.

So next time you believe the cops side of the story instead of the side of the story of the person they brutalized or imprisoned, remember cases like this.

1 person likes this.
  2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I can imagine the dirty cops or hitmen for hire murder this protester before he has a chance to testify ala Steven Seagal 'Hard to Kill' style. Sick how this scenario is probably all too common without being reported.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

With over one million people employed by law enforcement agencies in the U.S., there are going to be some bad apples. Impossible to know how many bad cops are out there.

I think the majority of Cops do a good job. And it's a job I wouldn't want to do. I am in favor of all Cops wearing body cameras at all times.

4. HamJam

Did you read the article? The bad apple argument just doesn't hold water. Take note that none of the cops involved in this situation (including a supervisor) put a stop to it. None of them reported it. They all acted like it was common place. Seriously, what are the chances that, of all the times cops were accidentally caught on a recording, that it would occur at a time when all the cops in the situation were just "bad apples" who were framing someone.

Again, I'm sorry, but that is naive. This is common place.

I mean, if it wasn't common place then it wouldn't have taken a year to get the charges dropped , these cops would have been prosecuted and police would be clamoring for these guys to be held accountable - but that isn't the case.

#4 HamJam, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I read the article. It sounds like three officers were involved with the protester. Those officers should be fired and prosecuted for what they did. However, this incident doesn't prove that most officers do this type of thing. I said that I felt that the majority of officers do a good job. When I say majority, I mean more than 50% of Cops. I have no idea exactly how many cops are good or bad, but My gut feeling is that more than half do a good job. Maybe a lot more than half do a good job, but we can only guess.

With a million people in law enforcement in the U.S., just think how many times each day they come in contact with an American citizen. I think most of the time they do a good job.

If you disagree with me that's fine, I'm just giving my opinion.

6. HamJam

The problem is that it has been a year and they haven't been. It was an uphill battle and a year of litigation even to get the fraudulent charges dropped. I think that tells you something about how our justice system views cops committing these types of acts, and what level of accountability cops are held to.

That's the majority of the problem -- we are over policed. I am sure a lot of cops are probably good people when they start out, but having that much unaccountable power over people is not conducive to them staying good people.

Yes, I do disagree. I'm not trying to be hostile here, I am just debating you a bit on the opinion you gave. If you'd rather not be debated on it then I'll be happy to disengage.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

No problem. You aren't being hostile. We just have differing opinions on some things. I do agree that the justice system is very unfair to many people.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is it me or does the article seem to conflict with the video?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The whole barrel is rotten . . . .when you find a GOOD APPLE
    they are the exception . . not the rule

Rocket River

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THIS CAUSES THE ANTI POLICE ATTITUDE . . not OBAMA . . Not KAEPERNICK . ..
    THIS BULL ****

Rocket River

11. Nook

Nook Member

Someone else noticed that huh?

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It was fine until they seemed to make up witnesses that didn't stay.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

typical to see resident right-wing nuts defending the police at any cost. Police are just angels according to them.

Police are humans with a lot of power and from the cops I know they all say their departments definitely mistreat people and they even admit.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What was their initial reason to stop this guy anyway? For putting up a sign and recording police? That also isn't fine. Over policing.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Interesting...