1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explosion in Manhattan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 17, 2016.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Even if the assumptions are obvious, you would hope a high level government official doesn't just jump to conclusions, as obvious as they are, before all the evidence is presented and the initial 'haze' dissipates. Unfortunately you are right that the American populace doesn't think in a rational manner as how a high level government official ought think.

Hillary Clinton not making a declarative statement about a ongoing attack where information is JUST leaking out is the responsible thing to do that most Americans find irresponsible. It's a sad state of affairs that makes me question the merits of democracy.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There will be more attacks before the election.

I am now - like Michael Moore - sadly convinced that Trump will win.

If the leftists had not shouted down everyone who was warning about the dangers of Islam, a Trump victory could have been prevented.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A Trump victory could also be prevented if millennial progressives suddenly become less spiteful.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How about waiting for the facts. Hillary did call it a bombing on the plane. She didn't want to speculate who did it. It's called wanting to get the facts right. Trump is like a child.......just to conclusions without the facts. You cannot do that as president.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Like I said...I really dont know how to approach this topic, but I'd first see...
    1. Why are we hated by those from Islamic states?
    2. Are we able to alter these views?
    3. If we are unable to change the views that others have about us...how do we first ensure the safety of those in our nation first?

The fact is that Islamic views and American ideals will ALWAYS clash. There is a fundamental difference that poses a threat to each other.

Finally, I dont live in a bubble to think that we can eliminate terrorist threats/attacks.. We live in a not so kind world. That being said, the amount of cameras/imaging available to LEO allowed for a rapid apprehension of this suspect...perhaps we must be open to being a more "watched" society.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You would be surprised, I still know many people that believe the narrative of "the religion of peace".

It is really simple.

Either the USA severely limits immigration from Muslim nations and deal with the next generation looking at us and judging us as barbarians (like the Japanese internment camps) or we make the US so welcoming and prosperous that the Muslims here have no real motive to do anything but secularize.

Yes... and that SS soldier shooting Jews in the back of the head didn't represent the Nazi party.

That thought doesn't work when it becomes more than a passing connection/issue.

FWIW I appreciate your perspective.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am very proud of our law enforcement and the local governments handeling of this act of terrorism. They found their No. 1 suspect and broke up a potential terror cell and saved lives.

8. TheresTheDagger

That's exactly the point. It doesn't work 100% of the time. This is why we should have a temporary stoppage on immigration from specific countries until we improve vetting to the point it is as good as it can get. We don't seem to be there yet.

Do you not see the irony in judging me for "dismissing an entire group of people" (which of course I'm not) while simultaneously judging me for something I don't actually believe?

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What vetting process. The guy is not a refugee nor a recent immigrant.

There are those who wants to sneak their way into western countries through legal means and commit terrorist activities, those are the ones you can filter through the vetting process. These usually don't happen in North America because the vetting process after 9/11 have already been really really selective.

The more recent attacks have almost all been with Muslims who grew up in the US, the immigration vetting process does not target or affect these people in anyway.

The immigration/refugee issue is actually easier to solve. It's these Americanized Muslim terrorists that are almost impossible to catch or detect.

There's no real solution this imo, we are pretty much at their mercy which sucks big time. You can't just read people's mind to see if they want are radical Islamist, especially when they show absolutely no signs of it in their normal lives.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bombing suspect's family sued NJ city and police in 2011, claiming they'd been subject to anti-Muslim discrimination <a href="https://t.co/l1GT8kEDnD">https://t.co/l1GT8kEDnD</a> <a href="https://t.co/IujMDdCctS">pic.twitter.com/IujMDdCctS</a></p>&mdash; CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) <a href="https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/777942336080900096">September 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yet another example of the same anti-police people that cry about racism and discrimination end up being the same people who end up being terrorists. BLM inspired terrorists, ISIS inspired terrorists, same thing really.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

This is what happens when you don't follow the entire conversation I was having with the other person. ;)

The specific example I was referring to was not today but rather Tashfeen Malik in San Bernardino.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This.

13. TheresTheDagger

This is what happens when a corrupt party structure puts its thumb on the scale for Clinton vs. Sanders.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

How about we all just hold hands and pretend that there is no threat of ISIS in our country and that everything is awesome. Lets meet in the tranny restroom (which is any restroom) and sing happy songs with Hilary. She's so hip!

Lets see how diverse we can be and just open the borders to whomever wants. How rude of our government to actually even try protecting any person in!!!

#HilaryforHappiness!

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If a Hillary presidency comes to bear, you'll love her gun ho spirit for invading the Middle East.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is what politicians and parties do. You still have to vote. Republicans overtly did it against Trump and he still won his party's nomination.

Bernie didn't talk to minorities and didn't attack Hillary enough. He lost and it was his own fault.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No screening process can be full proof but the u.s is pretty good.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Hypocrisy or r****dation. We may never know.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's a mix of both in New Yorker's/Sweet Lou's case, and being desperate for any kind of attention.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why don't you tone down the level of personal attacks here Casey??

All I said was wait for the facts, nothing more.