1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is more "racist": The Trump Organization or Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The following article is from 2015 and is still very relevant given all the "deplorable" rhetoric going around lately. Most of the "deplorable" rhetoric stems from Trump's statements on illegal immigration and H1B visas and other such economic policy.

[rQUOTEr]http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/16/silicon-valley-diversity-problem.html

As tech leaders flock to Austin for this week’s annual South by Southwest Interactive Festival, workplace diversity advocates hope to shine a spotlight on the industry’s hiring efforts, which remain abysmal. At Twitter, only 10 percent of tech jobs in its global workforce belong to women. Among its U.S. employees, just 4 percent of those lucrative positions are filled by black or Latino people. The numbers aren’t much different at places like Facebook, Google and Yahoo. Even Apple, which can point to above-average diversity, still counts just 20 percent of its tech hires as female, and black or Latino workers make up only 13 percent.

...[/rQUOTEr]

4%? Come on, man. Even the Trump Organization has a better record than 4%. And we have to hear about how Trump's rhetoric regarding the number of H1B visas is "racist". Yet at the same time there is dead silence about the industry that benefits the most from this Jim Crow-era law.

So who is blowing the dog-whistle louder: Mark Zuckerberg who wants to dramatically increase the number of H1B's or Donald Trump who wants to increase invest in Americans?

#1 Cohete Rojo, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think Trump is personally that racist, he just plays up racial hysteria to play the rubes. Playing up fears is his only competitive tactic.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

IT diversity in the workforce is a big issue. Another problem is that women of any color seem to shift out of developer/programming roles after a decade for various reasons. There's a lot of elitism that passes around the Bay Area and racism/sexism is one of the many currencies traded in the office.

That isn't to say that smaller startups follow the same behavior, but there are other barriers in play such as VC funding for female or minority founders....

Throwing the eye grabbing Trumpeteering aside (SILICON VALLEY FOR VP):

Beyond the outrage, what steps do you propose to correct this issue? Would you support stronger Affirmative Action policies such as office quotas and industry driven promotions of disadvantaged male and female minorities?

4. Dei

Dei Member

This is what really ticks me off about the push regarding diversity in the workplace. Workplace diversity doesn't mean companies are free to hire who the best talent regardless of color, orientation or religion but it means they have to hire a set % of those people, regardless of whether or not they're the best qualified for the position.

Let's just give away all these high paying, technical jobs to anyone so long as they're black, Latino or has a vagina but nobody complains about there not being woman lumberjacks or oil drillers or blacks farming.

[​IMG]

5. bongman

bongman Member

By any chance, do we know what percentage of latinos, blacks and women graduated with IT degrees?

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

There aren't a lot of females or minorities in the IT industry. it is hard to hire them if they aren't there to hire. If it were so racist...how would you explain all the Indians and Asians?

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, not one of them have a beard!

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly. It IS a white male dominated industry, but that's because that's who has the skills.

If it is so racist, how would one explain all the Indians and Asians???

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a big part of it - you certainly don't see a lack of Asians. A big part of it is also that to be a great IT professional you probably grew up playing with computers and sadly a large percentage of blacks don't get that experience.

This is why underfunded inner city school and poor mentorship is such a big problem. Even when parents care about a child's education, if you are poor you don't have the tools that children of better of parents and school systems get.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Every IT group consists of 1 fat guy and an Indian guy.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Ah, I see people are trotting out the ole "black people just don't want those jobs". That's about as good as the ole "Mexicans are too lazy for this job or that job" argument.

And since when did one need an "IT" degree to work either in the tech industry (SV and related) or in a tech role? Our resident central bank intern has no "IT" degree yet claims:
    • He is a programmer.
    • Works in SV.
    • Has done $750 million worth of business.
    • Can't scrap a single CSV from a website using Python because he lacks indentation skills.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't pay full price for these arguments.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is such an ignorant argument altogether. Spend less time focusing on why someone got the job you want, and more time on getting the job you want.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't know if this part is actually true...

Trump has basically been focused on Hispanics and Mexico when he talks about Americans losing their jobs... But what about all the Tech jobs that go to Asia or India? There are speeches about this?

So it seems that Trump is basically targeting Mexico when it comes to work and nothing about the many Americans that are in the IT field that have also lost their jobs.

T_Man

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Well the programming and development is definitely a white male dominated industry... But networking has a lot of different cultures..

But it makes no difference when employers will hire Indians and Asians that they can pay 10 cent on the dollar...

T_Man

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You keep doing whatever you need to do to justify your Trump support ...

[​IMG]

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Beyond the outrage, what steps do you propose to correct this issue?

Would you support stronger Affirmative Action policies such as office quotas and industry driven promotions of disadvantaged male and female minorities?

I'll give you the reach and let you respond with what Trump is doing to "correct the injustice", if you double please answer with a cherry on top.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

As someone who has worked in both IT and engineering, I can tell you that women and minorities (only Black or Hispanic counts as a minority hire, not Asian) that have the technical and engineering skill-set get GOBBLED up by these companies and, even if they are low skill. There are just not enough to go around. It actually creates a reverse kind of affirmation that they have to fight. I've seen awesome women engineers get awesome jobs and then have to fight the stigma that they were promoted because of D&I (Diversity and Inclusion).

I have also seen manager roles go to less qualified people for that exact reason.

Believe me, most of these tech companies know they have a problem and have no issue having affirmative action type programs to promote and hire women and minorities.

Believe me, if I post a react.js or node.js developer role with Grommet experience, or a Data Architect role do work on an Enterprise Data Model, I would bet $100 I would get no black people posting to that role. I would get 90% male, 49% Asian/Indian, 49% White, and 2% Hispanic.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think in any situation like this the question that should always be asked is...are opportunities denied?

If not then there really is no issue to be found here.

To fix this 'problem' would mean just getting more minorities and women interested in this field.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Getting more women and black people into technical skills in College is key. Women often tend to go into humanities or non techy business (HR, Finance, Accounting). Engineering and Computer Science isn't even in the top 10 degrees that women get.

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is exactly it. We import our engineers, four of the last five have been females and all five have been from Pakistan. The problem is, kids in America are too busy getting liberal arts degrees and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt in the process.

This is correct. I work for an Australian company and we are pushing majorly for getting more women into tech, there is actually a group within the company whose goal is to do so. This is a problem that will take decades though.