1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This morning I was looking at the what the astros should do at catcher

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Sep 17, 2016.

1. what

what Member

Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, MLB.com and every minor league scouting service has had Austin Hedges as a better prospect.

See here:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=hedges000aus

You are a homer if you think that Tucker is a better prospect.

But but, Tucker was drafted 5th overall. Yeah but Austin only fell out of the first round in 2011 because of a strong commitment to UCLA, but the padres were able to sign him for 3 million.

Hell, in 2013, MLB.com named him the fourth best catcher in the entire minors while he was hitting for a ****ty average and nobody even though he had a bat.

He's played in the MLB futures game. Also, remind me when has Kyle Tucker been rated as a #27 prospect on Baseball America's top 100. Austin did that without even hitting in 2014.

We need somebody here to explain to nook he doesn't know what he's talking about with Hedges. Now hedges may not be 20 home run hitter in the majors but the fact that he's putting power with his receiving skills makes he one of the most interquing prospects in all of baseball.

How in your mind to you think Tucker is in any way better than Hedges.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He got a third of a season last year and was overmatched. I know that most players fail to some degree in their first shot, even the ones that end up being good/great. Having said that, the Padres didn't even bring him back up this year in a year where they were going nowhere, that has to say something. Not saying I wouldn't take a shot on him, but giving up Tucker for him would be stupid.

3. what

what Member

Last year, he still had not figured out his bat. This year his bat has exploded. Now that may not mean nothing, but it's worth noting that he has hit nearly as many homers this year than he's hit in 5 years prior in the minors combined.

That makes his interesting, to say the least.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So then, why do you think the Padres had no interest in bringing him to the majors this year to see him develop against mlb pitching?

Again, if we wanted to take a shot on him with a mid level prospect i'd be fine, giving up a top 50 mlb prospect for him would be crazy

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Minor league offensive stats mean very little when it comes to actually translating to the MLB.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Sigh.

Baseball Prospectus has Tucker #40 in their mid season rankings.
    Baseball America has Tucker #33 in their mid season rankings.
    MLB (notoriously slow) has not released their new rankings and he is #51.

Keith Law has said Tucker will open next year in the 20-30 range.

Tucker is also 19 years old, not a 24 years old with a .450 OPS in 170 MLB at bats.

I have nothing against Hedges, he is a fine defensive catcher.

Hedges has now spent nearly 4 years between AA and AAA.

I will take the 19 year old outfielder with an 800 OPS, 30+ steals, a low strikeout rate and developing power over a 24 year old that has had one good offensive season in 6 years and has a career OPS in the 730 range.

None of this changes the fact that the Astros have larger needs other than catcher. Look at the Astros production at catcher compared to the rest of baseball and then look at their rotation, 1st base and DH.

7. Progs

Progs Member

Astros need two pretty good starting pitchers.

8. Buck Turgidson

Once again, what, what, what, oh what?

Keep at it for entertainment purposes if nothing else.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Austin Hedges pitched for his high school team.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If they got Kris Benson out of retirement and traded for Hedges, think about that battery.

11. Buck Turgidson

The best player on your team in HS is usually a P-SS/C/CF. This is not unusual at all, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shohei_Otani

He throws 100 MPH, led the league in ERA and also led the JPL in home runs.

I'm really curious what happens when they decide to let him come over here.

12. Buck Turgidson

John Van Benschoeten is the other (or AJ Reed or Brooks Kieschnick or ???) 2-way college guy I was thinking of.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow, take note!

Get er done.

14. Buck Turgidson

His wife would get them all done.

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It is completely fine to argue that Hedges is a better "prospect" than Tucker, but what makes him so much better than the Astros need to add Martes? Is Hedges worth Tucker and Martes? Seriously? I think a lot of people replying missed that part.

Also I'd like to see him do something in the majors first after his terrible first start.

16. Progs

Progs Member

People think that the MLB is like the NBA when trading for a star player.