1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This morning I was looking at the what the astros should do at catcher

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Sep 17, 2016.

1. what

what Member

I spent a few hours researching this. The name I came up with: Austin Hedges. It's going to take a haul to get this guy. I'm thinking Kyle Tucker for starters. And I wouldn't hesitate to do that, either. Maybe more than Kyle Tucker at this point. We might have to give them Martes as well. It's going to take a lot. But I do feel that the Padres would be open to dealing him for the right haul.

Here's why.
    He has been as high as #23 on Baseball Prospectus. Prior to this year he had 23 home runs in the minors, which dates back to 2011.

This year the guy hit 21 homeruns in triple a ball, with a .326 average. He also sports a .271 average since 2011 in the minors (meaning that he has always been a good contact hitter.)

And I haven't even spoke about his defense.

In 2014, hedges was named the second best defensive catcher in minors by MLB.com.

Here are some quotes:
    At the age of 21, Hedges is already one of the best defensive catchers in professional baseball.

Hulet on Hedges:

Arguably the best all-around defensive catcher in the minors, there isn’t really anything Hedges doesn’t do well behind the plate. He’s the type of backstop that brings out the best in his pitchers and he controls the running game with aplomb.

And here's praise from Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus:

Hedges is the best all-around defensive catcher I’ve had the privilege of scouting at the minor-league level, with a strong, accurate arm, quick and coordinated actions, and the in-game management qualities of a seasoned major-league veteran.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Although I do like hedges, I would not move Kyle Tucker for him. He hit .167 in 56 games last year. He's 24. Potentially elite defensive catcher, but Tucker could be a centerpiece for a much bigger deal.

3. what

what Member

I think that the astros need to move Kyle Tucker in a deal, the reason being is that he is so far from being brought up in the majors.

I also think that catcher is the biggest need on the team and the fact that we have players like Daz Cameron, Jason Martin.

Maybe they would take say Miguelangel Sierra and Forest Whitley for Austin, but again keeping Tucker stashed is the wrong move in my opinion.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Username checks out.

San Diego is rebuilding and looking to get younger, they're not going to trade Hedges unless they get a drastic overpay. Houston is in a contending phase and don't have time to break in a rookie catcher.

Houston may acquire a catcher from the Padres, but it'll be Norris. And it might be for Tucker...Preston Tucker.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

That, and *if* we do trade Kyle Tucker, it will be for a proven MLB player. Not a prospect.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros biggest need isn't catcher, it is elite starting pitching. Also the hole at catcher isn't so pronounced if the Astros fill glaring holes at 1st base and DH. The cost of filing 1st base and DH are less in terms of cost in trade and free agency. Further, Gattis can continue to catch 50-70 games a year. Someone like Norris or McCann is capable of platooning and filling the hole.

Once 1st base/DH are filled with average to above average hitters, catching offense won't matter much because it would be the only hole in the line up.

1 person likes this.
  7. what

what Member

Norris is good offensively, but his defense is still just average. Also, while hedges is a rookie catcher, he's been playing professional ball for 5 years now.

Plus, Norris is going to command more than Preston Tucker. You need to think more like the haul that they got for Carlos Gomez.

8. what

what Member

I'm not sure starting pitching is the biggest need. Last year it wasn't. Dallas had a bad year, Mccullers got hurt. But everyone else pitched about as expected.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While Keuchel had a bad year this season, 2015 may have been the aberration. Also, everyone else pitching as expected clearly shows the need for better starting pitching.

10. what

what Member

The biggest problem with trying to upgrade starting pitching is that trying to get a Chris Sale type player will cost the astros Bregman, Mccullers and probably 2 guys from the minors one of them being Miguelangel Sierra, most likely.

That's insane. I would be more comfortable trying to upgrade pitching with possibility the best defensive/offensive catcher since Posey came out, than break the bank on Chris Sale, especially since the astros have such a huge weapon with our bull pen which is only going to get better next year.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think your morning could have been better spent on something else there whatster.

1 person likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This makes absolutely no sense.

In three years, you would probably damn Luhnow for taking such a short term view.

13. raining threes

Yep,

I expect Tucker to be at Corpus maybe by the start of next season and the all star break at the latest. If he does well we could see him in the majors next yr as a Sept call up and I see him starting in the Astros OF in 2018.

This is a guy I wouldn't trade. All other guys besides Tucker/Whitley (Who I think is going to be a future ace, possibly in 2 yrs, this guy has that kind of ability) should be on the table for a future ace.

I would try to pick up a replacement level FA OF in FA and re-sign Valbuena in FA. Make a trade for an ace and trade for a backup C.

Also if Swithart becomes available and the Red Sox wanted to strengthen their bullpen I would move Feliz/Paulino for him.

14. what

what Member

Austin Hedges is a better prospect than Tucker, at a more premium position, and he's already made it to the majors. I know you think that the Astros can get Clayton Kershaw for Kyle Tucker, I know.

15. Progs

Progs Member

No way would I trade Kyle Tucker. He is only 19 and can become an all-star player in the Majors.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Austin Hedges is no where near the same level prospect that Tucker is. Indeed many scouts don't even think Hedges is in the Padres top 10 prospects.

Tell me the last time that a starting pitcher fetched a package near McCullers, Bregman and two other top prospects? Bregman can play and position defensively other than catcher, was the #1 prospect in all of baseball and has an OPS approaching 900 after a tough start. McCullers is 22 years old and has an era around 3 in his career and has an exceptional strikeout/contact rate.

The only pitcher I can think of that cost that much was Bartolo Colon and the prospects at the time of the trade were not as elite as the Astros package.

The Astros don't have to get another catcher but they have to get a top end starter.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Austin Hedges isn't near the prospect that Kyle Tucker is.

I am not sure who gave you your information but it is wrong.

18. Progs

Progs Member

Astros can definitely upgrade a starting catcher. Stubbs can be a good back-up.

19. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I'm not so sure. I think the Astros are better off re-signing Castro and just not playing him against lefties. He has a career wRC+ of 109 against righties but a woeful 50 against lefties. Gattis is more balanced but better against lefties over his career.

Would rather focus on OF, starting pitching and a LOOGY

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

There's two routes to go this offseason: sign a big time free agent (Ramos) or find a short term solution as a bridge to Stubbs, Rogers or another prospect. Stubbs hit .325 with an OPS over .900 in AA this year. Good chance he starts next year in AAA.

My guess is they resign Castro to a 2 year deal. As others have mentioned, you can deal with Castro's bat by shoring up other positions.