1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting Vietnam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Feb 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Care to share?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is it better than the one in Houston?

I've heard that the americanized food tastes better stateside than in the country of origin for most foods. I've had Pho from several different countries (except Vietnam) and so far the one in bellaire tastes so much better.

1 person likes this.
  3. Vigorous

Vigorous Contributing Member

You can always find new dishes. Here are my favorite ones that I can eat all the time. No particular order:

BUN DAU MAM TOM -
    Fried tofu, pig intestines, boiled pork belly (not pictured), pressed vermicelli, and of course the fermented shrimp paste sauce (alot of people cannot handle it).
    I liked it before, but Vietnam took it to a whole other level. Dat blood sausage doe!

[​IMG]

BUN BO HUE -
    Spicy soup with pork meat.
    This was my former #1. Not sure where it is ranked now.

[​IMG]

HU TIEU KHO NAM VANG -
    Dry noodles with shrimp, minced pork, boiled pork, pork liver. Soup is on the side.
    I personally like the dry version, but the soup/wet version is good as well.

[​IMG]

BUN CHA HA NOI with NEM CUA BE -
    Grilled pork patties, vermicelli, veggies.
    Best way to describe it is deconstructed Bun Thit Nuong, since it's basically the same.
    Then add in the crab egg rolls!! WOW!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HU TIEU MUC -
    Noodles with squid and shrimp.
    Delicious, cheap and quick seafood meal.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Vigorous

Vigorous Contributing Member

It's hard to explain the difference. I find it to be alot sweeter than in the states. It's a hit or miss for me in Saigon, so I kinda just stopped trying. Hanoi uses alot of MSG too. Also, don't bother looking for Sriracha to put in your pho or any dishes since its so rare.

I just prefer the Houston version more. I'm not sure if it's because I grew up with the Pho Binh Trailer or just how US makes it. And I don't want to tell the homeland that I don't like their authentic pho. I might turn into that recent pho viral video. Haha

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

All nice and lovely but what do all them Vegan brahs in Vietnam eat?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least with China I can concur. The food in china was so bland , at least they add some spices here in the US. Szechuan restaurants were ok there, but they just just seemed to overload it with peppers to make it spicy.

I think Americanized version of food tastes better since they add more salt, msg, spices, tec.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Bun Bo Hue goes so hard (found mostly in North Vietnam). It has the shrimp paste in it but you wont be able to tell.

If you ever see a puff pastry with a fried shelled shrimp on it. Get 10 of them and eat them. Then get 10 more for later.

That blood sausage really is good too. Its got cilantro and onions in it that adds a nice lightness to it.

Vietnamese food is probably the best food in the world. There are so many variation of things and so much of it is healthy.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm definitely very envious. I was supposed to be go several years ago, but ended up doing other things instead. One thing I read about is that often they normally serve coffee from a French Press, but will often give Americans instant because they think it's more American and what the tourists would want. So, just make sure and ask for the French Press if there's an option.

Also try some of the bakeries and french food since it is part of their history and heritage there as well. That was just based on my research, and that was several years ago, I don't know if it will be of any use to you now.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Thanks for bumping this...I didn't do a search before I posted my thread.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually such a doofus that I didn't realize I wasn't posting in your thread. I looked at link in your thread that lead to this one and actually posted in this one. I meant to post in your thread. Ooops.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sometimes it's better to be a doofus than be good.