1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why choose the left nut or the right nut...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Sep 15, 2016.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...when you can grab the Johnson?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New 2016 poll: 4-way race <a href="https://t.co/Doak6RYzAj">pic.twitter.com/Doak6RYzAj</a></p>&mdash; Morning Joe (@Morning_Joe) <a href="https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/776376150616641536">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He intrigued me for a while, but he's just too weird for me to fully support. I just get the feeling that he'd rather sit back and smoke a J than deal with ISIS.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does this mean that Jill Stein is finally outpolling Harambe?

I'd love to see Johnson on the debate stage if only to have a different voice in the room. While I don't agree with a lot of the Libertarian platform, it would certainly be interested to have somebody on stage calling for the decriminalization of many drugs and standing as a contrast to the talking Dorito wearing a tie.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's always high. Plus, this election isn't between a left or right nut. It's between crazy or not.

5. basso

Supporting Member

FTFY.

Johnson was not my first choice, but if we're ever to break the cycle of extreme partisanship that's infected our political, and increasingly everyday, lives, i think he may be the best choice.

and i agree with him about many things, particularly the size and role of government. ie, make it smaller, and get it out of the way.

i'd prefer a more atlanticist foreign policy, but you can't have everything.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is the criminal right?

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is the first image that comes to mind when I think of Johnson:

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/rRpkBXpobNEHe" width="480" height="279" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/rRpkBXpobNEHe">via GIPHY</a></p>

1 person likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

With all this talk (a lot from the republican/conservative side) of not voting for either major party and instead supporting Johnson, it will be interesting to see if he actually comes in at the normal place for a third party (suggesting people instead voted for their party's candidates).

Previous third party vote percentages (since 1900). Teddy Roosevelt hit the high water of 27% of popular vote in 1912. Ross Perot had 19% in 1992. LaFollette had 16% in 1924. Wallace had 14% in 1968. And the popularly cited John Anderson had only 13% in 1980. Just about where Johnson is polling.

My guess... Johnson ends up with 12% or less in November. Which to me suggests lots of people saying they won't vote for either Trump or Clinton did actually vote for Trump or Clinton.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What will you do about Allep...er, Chicago?

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/l2Sq65MAn1yainXsA" width="480" height="268" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/Election2016-election-2016-gary-johnson-libertarian-party-l2Sq65MAn1yainXsA">via GIPHY</a></p>

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hillary a left nut? Liberals would love it if she was. She's pretty ****ing moderate. 99% of the attacks on Hillary has little to do with what positions she holds on policy.

11. basso

Supporting Member

take your pick.

12. basso

Supporting Member

i actually campaigned for Anderson in 1980; Weld seems somewhat in the Anderson mold. i have no expectation that Johnson would actually win outright, but if he can score a few electoral votes, such that neither nut gets 270, and we end up in the house...anything could happen.

in any event i can't vote for either Shillary or Drumpf. i like enough about Johnson to support him, and it would be refreshing to have a truly independent executive. could cause all kinds of interesting realignment.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The choice is disruptive narcissism or politics as usual.

I know the POTUS isn't a reality show though, some people apparently don't.

14. basso

Supporting Member

politics as usual is the problem. Trump is the wrong solution.

#FeelTheJohnson

15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Genuine question, basso: what gives you confidence that if it ended up in the House, they wouldn't simply elect Trump? Paul Ryan has shown very little willingness to go against Trump and his plurality of voters, many of whom support more far-right House members. Would Ryan actually risk turning this bloc against the Republicans by pushing through the election of somebody not named Trump?

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I would like to see Johnson get a spot in the debates. I don't agree with a large majority of his platform but I think it would be for the greater good to have a 3rd candidate on the stage. It would do more long term for 3rd parties to be confident that they can get a voice in the debate. If he ends up getting somewhere over 10% in the election results, I can see the LP growing quite a bit over the next 4 years. Possibly gaining seats in the House come 2018.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I disagree - him being there plays to Trump hiding behind soundbites vs. substance.

18. basso

Supporting Member

i don't have such confidence, but it's an option i'd like to have. if Johnson polled strongly enough, i think it would demonstrate widespread disgust with the other choices, and perhaps a coalition would develop across the aisle to elect him.

Trump has alienated enough of the republican establishment to open the door to someone else.

and there's a lot of common ground between Johnson and small government/fiscal conservatives.

social cons, not so much.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A vote for Johnson is a huge mistake as you are risking handing the election to Trump, and believe me, you will regret him being president. No matter how annoying and dislikable Clinton is, she will not ruin the country like Trump will

20. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Would you, as a conservative voter, like to see the social wing rejected by the GOP? Their hardline positions don't seem to bode well for attracting voters younger than 60 and they seem to be the most visibly intractable members of the party (I'm thinking of people like Steve King, Louie Gohmert, etc.).