1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO's agent "Rockets not doing enough to re sign him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Sep 14, 2016.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

In the Chron article, the agent said the Rockets "know how much a starting center makes". That alone tells me they are far apart in negotiations.

I really like DMo. Love his game and attitude. He's the only player I follow on social media. But at this moment, he's not a starting center. He's a plus bench 4/5 with a significant injury history, and he's also a restricted free agent. I would guess that even without the RFA tag, he still wouldn't get north of $10 million per guaranteed.

If I'm the Rockets, I'd probably offer a fully guarantee $8-10 million in year 1, $10 million with only $5 guaranteed in year 2, and a fully non-guaranteed $10 million in year 3. That gives the Rockets an asset with some protection and DMo more guaranteed money than Ezeli got.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

can this be over already so it can show all the delusional ones dmo isn't getting some huge payday that they still believe is coming smh

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If BJ is any good, at some point he will ask for a quid pro quo favor of another GM to sign an offer that they know Morey will match, just so he doesn't have to sit out a week of training camp waiting for Oct 1st.

It won't be big, it will be very Morey-friendly, but will have the years DMo wants -- something they know Morey will match...hence, no risk to the other team.

I always thought Landry's very favorable offer at the end of Sept was a quid pro quo arrangement by Agent and other GM. Otherwise, it seemed silly to make an offer sheet so late that was clearly going to be matched. Landry agreed to a deal roughly 60% of the MLE with a Team Option on the third year.

#63 heypartner, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Now that's funny.

Sounds like D-Mo needs a better agent. No team is going to throw money at a dude coming off back surgery when they don't have to. Go get some outside offers. Do your job.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't tell that to bballholic...

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

****ty "I'm not frustrated" agent is ****ty, frustrated agent. :)

And the Rockets aren't going to negotiate against themselves either, when apparently there are no other offer(s) out there.

It's your job to find the offer(s). It's the Rockets job to then decide whether or not to match. No offers? Too bad, better luck next year?

See, I thought Daryl & the Rockets, even after they traded D-Mo, would offer us a fair contract out of the goodness of their hearts and we wouldn't have to go through this RFA process.

Oops.

1 person likes this.
  7. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

[​IMG]

Damn you and your logic!!! --signed BJ Armstrong.

[​IMG]

Not to be confused with this guy who seems like a genius compared. Hell even NOT compared.

1 person likes this.
  8. heypartner

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We know Daryl does not like restraints that would come if D-Mo accepts QO. Not that he'd ever trade him. Oh yeah. <a href="https://t.co/Y0lrzgpdrD">https://t.co/Y0lrzgpdrD</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/776410684720414720">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Followed by this from BimaThug

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wonder if Ezeli/Zeller-like deal (2 yrs/$16M, 2nd yr NG'teed)gets done. May be better than restraints if QO accepted <a href="https://t.co/UEhKRgqK0G">https://t.co/UEhKRgqK0G</a></p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/776407099437756416">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

How much do DMo and his agent think he's worth? Sure a lot of money was thrown around to start free agency, really wish they smoothed the cap increase, a lot of players are getting paid WAY more than their ability/contributions. Hope he stays on for a reasonable price. The Rockets need all the flexibility they can get because I dont think the roster,as is, is good enough to win a title. They can be entertaining, but theyve entertained me/us for quite some time. Lets get another Larry O'Brien trophy.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Player salaries are not about their contributions and abilities are, it's about what they can negotiate. That's why some players get "under paid" and some get "over paid". Steph Curry is an example since his injury history hurt his negotiating power.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DMo would be a fool to sign a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being team option on NGteed.

Just take the QO, and become an UFA and get paid.

DD

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

And a lot of star players restricted by max salaries are getting paid way less than their ability/contributions.

13. heypartner

Both Ezeli and Zeller did it. Sounds like he'd be more stubborn than a fool to not take $16m that BimaThug says they took.

You sounds like a hard-ass agent who would never get DMo what he wants this year, trying to convince to bet on himself. Or this is something to do with your insistence this yr he'd get $15m per, and you're having trouble stepping down from that claim. i guess you advocate holding out for $12m / yr.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

New theory: bballholic is DMo's agent.

Tell me that doesn't explain almost everything.

1 person likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing foolish about that at all especially in Dmo's case and his circumstances. But hey not surprised coming someone who has kept saying "his back is fine" for how long now. I lost track because its been that long

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

May be on to something

17. CertifiedTroll

I am honestly perplexed if DMo goes cheap. I do not value DMo personally, but he had so much hype. Also, the market went ape ****, the contracts being thrown out were just flat out dumb. Allen freaking Crabbe? Seriously? I would invest in a 7 foot mental midget before a 6'5 mental midget.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Existing theory also explains everything:

bballholic just makes crap up

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Except $8 million is far greater than $3.4 million. $4.6 million greater.

So the risk is he has a GREAT season and then is locked up again the next year for $8 million. Which then is $16 million over two years vs. $3.4 million + the first year of whatever larger deal he could get if he did have that great year. Money probably ends up being close, just more of it upfront. Plus it protects DMo in case his back gets f'd up again or some other injury... or if he just isn't that great. Yes, it makes him more tradeable... but not sure DMo should really care about that much. His sole focus should be just staying 100% healthy and kicking ass on the court.

20. Nook

Nook Member

At this point, outside of Motiejunas; who really cares.

The Rockets value him for what he is, a solid rotational player if he is healthy.

He signs at what the Rockets value him at, or the shrug and move on.

The idea of him being a starting center is funny. If Motiejunas is your starting center, you are lottery bound.

He is a very good person and hard worker from everything I have heard... but that doesn't make up for a bad back, other general health issues, poor rebounding and a lack of consistency.