1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Per Yahoo. Dmo has not received a serious offer from Morey. Not being a bballholic apologist, but isnt the person to roast 'heypartner' with all his back and forth and his posts that DMo has already got his contract or trade ready.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What? That was a spoof of bballholic. I posted the link to his original which I edited. Go back a few pages and look

Don't let him slide on this just because you didn't get my Spoof. He's been saying "DMo is paid" for about 1 1/2 months now. I merely "bumped" it under my name to show how ridiculous it reads the longer the holdout lasts

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No one is offering 6 mill .. . but we gonna jump to 12 mill . . . for 'goodwill'?

DMo has to PROVE something . . his back . . his long term prospects
    This is not Horry for Sean Elliot . . .at best .. . DMo is Elliot not Horry
    and I think his injury seems to be worse than Elliot's was
    (Unsure about the comparison of injuries)
    But I am sure that Elliot had done alot more in this league than DMo has

Rocket River

4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Morey to BJ and DMo...gotcha! poor DMo and management..now resorting to media

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

Where is holic after these comments from DMos agent? Definitely not coming from a place of confidence in the big offer that's coming

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I keep telling you guys, he is not worth a big contract. He will barely make more than TJ did on his new deal.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This feels like the Josh Smith situation all over again.

8. alethios

alethios Member

That's just it - he is worth something if he can like he did pre-back injury, especially during the time Dwight was sidelined.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The situation where the Rockets made the hard decision to not bring back a player they projected to decline or not perform at a high enough level to help the team repeatably, and were right and got him back at the vet min when nobody else wanted him after he couldn't get off the bench for the Clippers??

The way I look at this first (before looking at the Rockets) is if in this market why isn't he getting offers from other teams?

My guess is it's cause DMo's people want too much money and there is no reason for Morey to come to the table when there is no comparable offers to what they are asking. BJ said it himself in the media note that he's looking for "starting center" money.

BJ going to the media is a textbook move here to get Morey to give him a serious offer. The only thing that will make this deal move along is a deadline (which is coming) or a serious offer from another team.

My guess is he misses a couple days of training camp and ultimately BJ comes off his crazy high asking price and they get a deal done. But this isn't the last we have heard of this and not the last we have heard about the threats with the QO.

The Rockets did the right thing with the Josh Smith situation and they are likely going to make the best possible decision with the situation at hand that they can make. DMo still has a lot to prove in the NBA if he wants starting center salary.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The QO he's guaranteed already is several times more than the league minimum that Jones got.

11. heypartner

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My new hobby ;-) just traveling around the and stealing the <a href="https://t.co/RatXXsOLSR">pic.twitter.com/RatXXsOLSR</a></p>&mdash; Donatas Motiejunas (@DonatasMot) <a href="https://twitter.com/DonatasMot/status/775049369875722240">September 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Same vibe for different reasons.

It's not like we didn't want to bring back Josh Smith last summer. We absolutely did, but we all know Morey is a bottom line kind of guy. Once he assigns a particular number or price tag, he doesn't budge. I'm definitely getting that same vibe with this D-Mo stalemate.

I'd imagine given D-Mo's injury history and Morey's willingness to part with him, that bottom line figure is a lot lower than D-Mo's camp ever imagined. Leading to an almost indifferent feeling coming from our end. "Yeah, we would like to have you back...but you're a walking injury report so here's what we're offering. Take it or leave it". Something like that.

I'm very pro Morey and pro D-Mo, so this isn't a criticism; just an observation. I suppose it's worth noting that this bizarre D-Mo standoff has lasted two months longer than the Josh Smith thing did, but the point that I'm making is we sat there for a while with the means to retain him but lowballed the hell out of him to the point where he bolted. No comparison is perfect but there are similarities in the situations.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think its that Morey isn't going to pay "one of his guys" (and by all means he is a Morey guy given he drafted him, and has advocated for him for years) more than the market dictates he is worth just because of loyalty or because he likes him, or whatever.

Josh Smith had a key role the season before. That Clippers game wouldn't have been won without him going into Steph Curry mode from 3 in the second half. But that didn't mean Morey was going to give him a gentleman's pay day just because of sentiment.

And the fact is IF the Rockets do retain D-Mo this next month its because they were STILL willing to give him more money than any other team out there. But the market hasn't yet dictated what his value is for them to match so that's why there is no offer they can make the match or pay more than to keep their guy.

The person here who really screwed up is BJ Armstrong. He's continuing to overvalue his player on a market where teams are really just focused on backups (teams left with cap space). He wants starting center salary and look at the teams left with the money to pay that.... do you see the NEED for a starting center? I always said his comps are players at around 3 years 10 mil per. If he would have driven his price around his comps back in July I think he would AT LEAST have had a couple offers in the 7 to 10 mil per year range... which would have forced the Rockets to match. He could have "likely" taken a 2 year 15 mil gamble on himself, and now he's looking at taking a 3 mil for one year gamble on himself because his agent screwed up.

#1573 dobro1229, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, he's worth it even if he doesn't get it this time. I hope DM the GM doesn't overplay his hand.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Those days are over. His back made sure of that.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing says he's worth a big contract

17. heypartner

Dude, the market has spoken. You're talking about potential, like you know something the market doesn't. The market valuates potential, too.

18. heypartner

From Feigen and BimaThug regarding Morey's dislike of restraints of QO. They are saying threat of signing QO does have some teeth. How much, we don't know.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We know Daryl does not like restraints that would come if D-Mo accepts QO. Not that he'd ever trade him. Oh yeah. <a href="https://t.co/Y0lrzgpdrD">https://t.co/Y0lrzgpdrD</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/776410684720414720">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

Followed by this from BimaThug

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wonder if Ezeli/Zeller-like deal (2 yrs/$16M, 2nd yr NG'teed)gets done. May be better than restraints if QO accepted <a href="https://t.co/UEhKRgqK0G">https://t.co/UEhKRgqK0G</a></p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/776407099437756416">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

19. heypartner

btw: BimaThug's suggestion is similar to mine, but $2m more per year. Do I win something? :)

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Obvious stuff - DMo's only leverage is signing the QO, the Rockets can either up their offer, or pull the QO (losing him for nothing) neither of which are good for the team.

If the deal is not 2 years for more than the QO - I expect Dmo to sign the QO, locking DMo in this year - no trade unless he approves, and playing ball.

DD