1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone use Kodi?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Jul 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Nice, let us know how it is!

From my experience, I've bought 2-3 different boxes to setup for my cousins, all of the remotes for these boxes suck, I just use the wireless keyboard/mouse remote setup also. There is a Kodi Remote app for both Apple/Android that works great.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_phone/tablet

#141 Dave2000, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The remote is slow. I went to microcenter and picked up a cheap ($15) 2.4GHz wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It makes setting things up a lot easier. It comes with Kodi base package installed, so you will have to install your own skins/wizard interface. So far, i like it better than the Fire stick that i was using for Kodi.

3. Dave2000

yea, Android boxes are better on Firesticks, IF you are just using Kodi, you don't get "official" versions of basic apps like Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, WatchESPN, on these generic Android Boxes, which is why I still stick to my Firestick

4. Dave2000

interesting, my banggood order already shipped event though it said it wasn't going to be available till 15th, was shipped on the 11th via "Priority Direct", hopefully I'll get it by end of the week

EDIT: Looks like it was on sale, it's up to $56, thanks for the headsup LCAhmed, congrats over the weekend :)

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Yeah mine shipped too but said it was accepted in China on Sunday. Thanks again for the heads up.

6. macho87

macho87 Member

Is the fire tv box better than the stick when it comes to buffering or watching live tv streams?

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I honestly haven't heard one good thing from friends or on other forums about the android boxes for kodi. Everyone says to stick with the firestick. My coworker bought one preloaded via eBay and he even sent a youtube video to show how everything works. I believe it was around fifty dollars. She loves it.

8. Dave2000

Depends which one you get, there are crap ones that still have Android from 3 years ago (Kitkat) that try to run the latest Kodi they go for less than $25 and won't have a good time, then there are the newer ones with better processor, runs Lollipop/Marshmallow, has 2GB of RAM instead of the usual 1GB that run 10x better for around $50.

I've set up 2 boxes and Firestick. Both install fairly easy and depends on what you are going to use it for. I use the Firestick since I still use it for SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu, and WWE Network to run along with Kodi.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Android tv is the way to go

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Nice hardware discussion, dudes. Let's talk about addons, too. I'm cutting the cord at the end of the month. Genesis is still my go-to addon for movies and TV shows, but I would like to be able to watch Houston Cougars away games live. Anybody got an addon recommendation for live college sports?

I'm getting rid of HBO Go, too. Anybody watch HBO live using Kodi? How?

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Glad I could help, and thanks!

12. Dave2000

Genesis still runs? I've moved on to their clones Specto and Exodus

As for sports, Castaway has a good Sub Reddit category to stream off their links, I heard SportsDevil improved to add this feature but haven't tried it yet.

There is one app that I use for streaming TV, forgot what it is. It's passable, not 1080/720p quality, usually I just wait the next day to stream it at better quality. I'll let you know the add on when I get home.

13. LCAhmed

14. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I've found Ares Wizard to be pretty good for shows & movies, as it pulls in multiple sources, but I have yet to get it to stream live TV, which is a bummer with football season coming up. Open to other suggestions!

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

16. LCAhmed

Never used their website, but the source (Slickdeals) had no issues or questions regarding the website (if it were shady, there would have been boatload of questions regarding reputable site or not). So take it for what it's worth, hope it helps.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ok, too much info that is beyond what I know.

If I want to stream live sports, someone just tell me what I need to buy/download. :grin:

I'll be traveling quite a bit, so I need access to my sports.

19. Nero

Nero Member

Same here - I am just looking for a way to stream out-of-market NFL games in HD. Anyone know a way to grab something that will do that on a standard Kodi-installed Firestick with the TVAddOns 'skin'? (I assume it's a skin..?)

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1. Nexus player
    2. Kodi
    3. Install a sports add-on (a bit of a hassle this part, just follow online instructions)