1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeff Van Gundy thinks Rockets will be an offensive juggernaut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 9, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

What do you mean by "control the paint" to draw attention away from Harden?

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I agree the big difference is we also have a better Harden than the 12 team.

There was major uncertainties going into that season and they still pulled out 45 wins. Asik had never started a game and was really only a 15 min per game backup in Chicago coming off an injury also. Lin had about 50 games under his belt.

For how good harden already was he had been playing with KD and Russ while also being the 6th man and never starting in his three seasons.

I actually think if healthy this team can win 50 games fairly easy maybe even 55. Regular season You play a lot of games and teams can't lock in on what your doing. Having harden with elite shooters around him and an actual system for the role players will make us just plain out score most teams on any given night.

What I'm worried about us come playoff time. I think that's were this team will have major problems because unless they shock all us the defense is going to be a problem in a 7 game series.

I think if we get a top 4 seed and play Portland, Utah, Dallas, Memphis we can win a 1st round series but I'm not sure we win more than one game against the Spurs clips and especially the Warriors.

But last year when Dwight was out in the 2nd heat game the offense looked fantastic and we scored at will and beat them pretty easy. This is what I expect the offense to look like on most nights and any team that 500. Or worse will prob get beat pretty easy. The good team are going to be rough.

But I think our offense will be good enough to be everyone outside of the Warriors, Spurs, Cavs and clips.

There's a big drop off after Those teams and there's no reason why the rockets, Celtics, raptors or pacers can't slide in and be that 5th team but imo those are the best teams after the big 4.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

JVG is correct.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Maybe I'm drinking the kool aid; but if we can get a couple more pieces I don't see why we cant be a top four seed if the offense works out as we think it will. I like our chances against anyone outside of Spurs and Warriors next season, and you never know: this may be the season the Spurs take a bit of a dive.

Yeah the clippers are still a good team and will be there abouts, but I don't rate them as a contender. The Mavs are anchored to Conley with a busted Chandler Parsons, and Damian Lillard plays worse defense than Harden.

I think the Wolves are the dark horse.

mdoggnic likes this.
  5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

If we had another coach I would also think 50 wins would be our minimum. However we have pringles.

6. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Could you please clarify this statement? How exactly did he sell out?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This team is pretty loaded, the only problem is we still have only one star while other teams have 2-3.

8. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Fixed cause you had me confused :)

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DMo and Rubio fall in faint

10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Yeah lol sorry, you know what I meant

11. bmd

bmd Member

"Pringles" probably had the biggest impact on how offense is played in the NBA today.

The man deserves some respect.

He gets hated on because of his time in L.A. and New York. Those two huge markets are extremely harsh on coaches with the power of the media behind them. He took over that dysfunctional and injured Lakers team 10 games into the season. He wasn't the coach to start the season. He didn't get to work with the team over the summer or have a training camp. There was no way to win there.

Then he goes to New York to coach a team with no talent. There was no way to win there either.

It's like thinking Rick Adelman is a terrible coach because his teams in Minnesota sucked. There was no way to win in Minnesota no matter who the coach was.

1 person likes this.
  12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JVG the offense minded analyst, offense challenged coach.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

JVG is always positive about everyone. The Rockets especially... But I wouldn't be surprised if he made public comments about the Kings having a shot.

15. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

And its not even close.

16. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Exactly. You cant forget the one with four. I hope three of them completely blow their ACLs.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

just plain dumb. no excuse for any of that. im assuming you've never played an active sport in your life. otherwise if you actually do then that makes you even look more ignorant

18. alethios

alethios Member

He does have a dark soul...:eek:

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

"IF they stay healthy" is a very big if. And offense is only half of the equation. It makes no difference how many you score if you give up more than that.

It may be a good fit for Harden. Hope so. Here's the question around him, and it isn't defense (although that is part of it). Does he make the players around him better? Elite players do. No one doubts Carmelo's talent...but he doesn't make the other players he's playing with better, and hence the Knicks are a mediocre team. One could, in fact, make a case last year that he made the players around him worse, by setting a bad example, on defense, with his attitude towards the coach, etc.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

JVG picked us to win the championship a few seasons back if I recall correctly.

I take everything he says with a grain of salt. He's no Nostradamus.