1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jeff Van Gundy thinks Rockets will be an offensive juggernaut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch, love it when JVG speaks with the 790 guys

Very classy guy too, speaks nothing but praise even after losing out on a potential hire

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jeff is so pro-rockets even though Les screwed him 1.5x.

He's the bomb.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

50 wins is a bit optimistic, but if everything clicks offensively and we stay healthy I suppose it's within the realm of possibility.

But I agree that I have no idea what to expect from this team after last year's disaster.

5. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Other than the Warriors and Spurs, the rest of the West is up for grabs.

Clippers I'd say are #3 behind those 2 teams, then everyone else will fight for 4-8. I expect a 1st or 2nd Rd exit for us this season. It all depends on where we finish. If we're ranked 6-8 seed, we're 1 and done.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It is almost like we hit the reset button and took ourselves back to 2012 when we first got Harden.
    Suffice to say I think we have the better roster now (if healthy) than our 2012 iteration.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love his comment about Harden. :)

8. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Can we agree that J.B. Bickerstaff will go down as the worst coach ever in Rockets history with McHale right behind him?

Any coach we would've brought in would have been a huge upgrade after those 2.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Right. Les loves offense, offense, offense, so JVG "the leading candidate" didn't have a chance in hell to return as coach; but he continues to wave our banner. Great dude.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I kinda agree but...i'm not sure the Spurs will be better than the Clippers, losing an hall of fame like Duncan can be huge...i'm curious to see them.

Also, i think the Grizzlies have a great starting 5, if they can stay healty (which is a huge if but...), they can be at the top imo.

Personally, i don't think McHale was better than him as a coach to be honest. J.B was bad though, i agree, but the situation was really awful, the players are the ones to blame for the last season, some of them at least, imo.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

50 wins is crazy IMO but I hope he's right

mdoggnic likes this.
  12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Mike D'GOAToni

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we have a brutal start with 14 of 20 on the road. if any of the rotation guys go down early then things could get ugly out of the gate again

14. JRod7112

JRod7112 New Member

#15 JRod7112, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

homer's gonna home.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Juggernaut on offense, the joker on defense

17. 34to11

34to11 Member

You mean the guy (Bickerstaff) who inherited a swiftly sinking wreck during the season and managed to not only keep them afloat but eked out a winning record and got them to the playoffs despite having his secondary star check out on the team?
    And the other guy (McHale) who has the highest winning percentage in franchise history and coached the team to their first conference finals appearance in two decades?

[​IMG]

18. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I doubt any coach out there would have been able to convince Howard that he wasn't an effective offensive option. A whole lot went wrong last year not just expectations but take into consideration the fact that we were EXTREMELY lucky that Brewer, Prigioni and Smith were able to elevate their games and help us win that series we were destined to lose against Los Angeles.

We made it to the WCF without Dmo and Beverley, then heading into the last season we were able to acquire Ty Lawson. A lot of people thought we were able to add two more players to a core that went to the WCF + a top tier PG (who had his own personal issues, but was a good contributing player if he had the ball in his hands). The Rockets crumbled under the expectations of winning in the beginning of the season and Les went and fired McHale but replaced him with a coach who ran the exact same system.

I don't see this team really putting it together until maybe December to be honest. Our team this year looks great on paper but our success hinges very significantly on Anderson and to a lesser extent Gordon's health. Maybe being a super sub playing 25-29 minutes a game will help keep Gordon healthy. All I'm asking is for the Rockets to play a more complex offense. We don't need to continue to play playground basketball.

Not going to hold my breath on the new coach and his staff to put more emphasis on playing defense.

1 person likes this.
  19. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I guess I'm crazy, but I feel like if everyone stays healthy for the most part, 50 wins is closer to the floor than the ceiling.

Okay, maybe that's a stretch. Let's say with health, 45 is the floor and low 50's is probably the ceiling.

This team's similar the one in Harden's first year, but with a lot more experience and a little more talent. That team won 45, so 50 should certainly be doable, imo.

20. SunsRocketsfan

JVG is awesome.. worst part of Rockets org right now is out of touch penny pinching Les. Really hope he sells the team and retires..