1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will things get really ugly when some NBA players sit down or kneel during the Anthem?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I can already imagine ESPN salivating. :eek:

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NFL is the tail that wags the dog in American sports. Unless LeBron kneels down, no NBA player would have as much sustained discussion around their actions as a group of NFL players.

No league wraps itself in the flag as much as the NFL and that irony isn't lost on the players who are protesting and exercising their freedom of speech.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It will serve to diminish these people and the cause that the purport to represent. However, they will get street cred out of the deal. How sad.

All this will achieve is to create more divisiveness, more hostility and more violence. None of this is good and nothing good will come from this.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

kind of like a Trump presidency.

I'm starting to think maybe we should just say "**** it" and push this country till it breaks. The strongest will survive.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It will from fans, the owners will have to side with the players because the blacks ones could all eventually decide to act in solidarity like at Mizzou, and they're too large a percentage of the league to not accommodate. I don't think Don Sterling would have lost an MLB or even NFL franchise, Marge Schott and George Preston Marshall certainly didn't.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The diminishment will occur mostly due to the inevitable backlash of racial epithets from the right that are sure to ensue.

Thanks Obama!

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

White people want unity and peace but simultaneously hold down POC.

1 person likes this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The NBA is by far the most progressive league of 3. However Chris Jackson got black balled for doing it. Maybe Carmelo will do it. I don't see Lebron being willing to do it cause of his Nike deal.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wish they'd stop doing the anthem at sporting events.

10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Me too. It doesn't "honor our country" to play the thing at every event from Round Rock Express minor league games all the way to the damn Super Bowl.

Drew Magary's Thursday NFL Dick Joke Jamboroo had a good take on it this week:

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Total non-issue. Unless one of the Warriors does it. Then they should disband the team.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can always find one douchebag to be disrespectful so I expect it to happen, and hopefully there will be a negative backlash against them.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If anyone doesn't do it it might be because they got where they were by focusing on their goals and being part of a team.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Disagree completely. While the NFL, as a sport, is king, NBA *players* are far more prominent. One big reason is because that is how the NBA markets itself, whereas the NFL markets its brand, and its teams. They are also a lot more noticeable, not being all wrapped up in body armour, and much closer to the fans.

So, it will be a bigger deal when/if NBA players do it. The only difference being they won't be doing it first.

What 'irony'?

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Let me translate. Nothing good will come from the blacks protesting police brutality unless they're courteous and nice about it so as not to offend the oblivious, willfully ignorant people who love America and can't fathom why anyone would think it's oppressive to minorities, all history to the contrary.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Only amongst those groups that are already divisive, hostile, and violent. The message is resonating with those who don't suffer from one or more of the aforementioned flaws.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I guess I agree with this. I feel solidarity with those protesting discrimination, but I also don't set myself in opposition to the cops/etc accused of discriminating. I think it's a problem we should work through. I think it's too bad so many take it as an insult and shut down. I also think it's too bad that some protesters have taken things over the top and have hurt cooperation. But, I don't see non-participation in the national anthem in that way. It's non-violent free speech.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

People will make a big deal out of it. I've heard so many people say they don't like basketball because the players are all thugs.... Yet they watch football which has way more issues with crime. Wonder what's giving them this perception....

19. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I wonder if it's because they can actually see what basketball players look like when they play.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd be fine if the NBA players raised their fist during the anthem.