1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Indians

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Could Hinch have requested a HBP review since that is reviewable?

2. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

But surely then they would only be reviewing whether it was a HBP, even if the video shows the foul ball, that isn't the issue under review.

It should be though.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If you had a healthy Astros pitching staff the brooms would have been out.

On to the next series.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think it works that way. The ball would have actually have to come close to hitting him.

That's like Hinch wanting them to review whether or not the runner at home was safe... Even though there was no play at the plate.

But it is ridiculous that you can review whether or not a ball hits a finger or a bat (which often happens on bunt attempts)... Something that really can't be discerned with replay anyways... But you cannot review foul ball vs. passed ball/wild pitch.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Clearly because they never though 4 umpires would suck so bad at their jobs.

6. the shark

the shark Member

Lester, Lackey & Arrieta.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The wild card is starting to look out of reach. We can't make up two measly games! We keep yoyo-ing. The law of averages says we won't make the playoffs. How long have we just been out of reach of a wild card spot now? GEEZUS! LOL

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

They are just fine. Just need to be within striking distance (3 games) after the Rangers series and the Astros will have a good shot of making up the necessary ground.

9. SuraGotMadHops

I agree with how Hinch reacted, he was supposed to get thrown out in that situation, and he did. More theatrics would have been nice, but I think he held back because you had a young kid making his debut (who was in a serious jam) and didn't want to take too much away from the kid's focus by causing a huge scene, then Paulino having to refocus and finish the inning afterwards.

Hinch is still much better in these situations than Brad Mills, who didn't do jack after Roy O got tossed for arguing balls and strikes a few years back.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are playing the hardest part of their schedule all season right now.

Ideally the Astros would have taken 3 of 4 from the Indians, but they could have just as easily lost 3 of 4.

The Astros lost 2 of 3 against the Rangers....... and just split with the Indians...

They have 3 games against the Cubs coming up and then 3 at home against the Rangers....

If the Astros split the next 6, they will be fine.

The season ends with 6 against the Mariners, 6 against the Angels and 3 against the A's.

They have a decent shot at 88-91 wins if they split the Rangers/Cubs series.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Why the heck wasnt this game played under protest... And why was the 2nd run allowed...when clearly the ump called time before Napoli stepped on home plate...

This is yet another disgraceful situation that the Astros are victims of in regards to instant replay. Why the fck do we have it...if not to challenge scoring?? and very clear errors by the umpires? What a terrible crew...f u Joyce...

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Is it true Paulina was only throwing 91mph?

Kid was advertised as having an "electric" arm.
    _______

To everyone complaining about the non-foul ball... the call was beyond horrible, but didn't cost us the game. Yes, replay rules should be changed, immediately.

13. juicystream

It was played under protest.

Because Napoli was almost home when he called time.

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Hinch is a better man than I am...I would have gone ballistic.

15. juicystream

He threw harder. His curve is what got hit.

How can you say that call didn't cost us the game? Kind of spiraled downhill from that.

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i actually don't think this is a good time to say that considering the teams ahead of us have a lot of games against each other so they're going to lose ground. i think 2-3 isn't bad at all considering who we played and who we have pitching. cubs series is gonna be another test though. hopefully they can get on base and just steal on lester all day.

17. Buck Turgidson

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dare say that those games are not even modern baseball from some peoples perspectives.

I was at the 86' playoffs in the Dome :)

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Had a good time at the game. Met some knowledgeable, nice Indians fans that had nothing but compliments for the Stros.

Had one guy even buy my wife and I waters, at $4.75 a pop, since it was pushing 90 and humid.

I just want us to sink about $100 million into the pitching staff in the offseason. It sucks our starters are hurt, though.

20. Buck Turgidson

'86 was the best playoffs possibly ever. All 3 series were classics.