1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September 2016 Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Sep 7, 2016.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

iPhones have smaller batteries so doesn't take as long too charge. Unless it's the plus model

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

That's true for most things, but if you actually care about the audio quality there really is nothing compared to a wired over ear headphone. That may only be like a few percent of the population like me who still buy music on CD's or flac because I don't want to lose the quality but they exist.

This. Lightning was released before USB-C, but Apple was too into keeping proprietary that it missed the opportunity to take full market from microusb and USB-B. Advancing the industry and looking to the future only works if you allow your tech to become a standard.

It's all marketing and shifting the profits to quarters. By releasing the MBP in October they get multiple headlines and more free publicity. Plus they already realize the iPhone is a cash cow that will sell well now. They can push the MBP release into the holiday shopping season to hopefully increase the numbers sold given that computer/laptop sales have generally levelled off for everyone.

While I agree people won't keep buying every incremental upgrade, people will still buy phones. Just as they still buy computers. It will just level off and stop peaking all the time. Also, in many ways the small incremental upgrades are necessary to successfully support major innovation. It's all part of the process. It is simply impossible to totally change the game every time out.

Also, Apple's MO has never been to put out "lower quality products" in regards to main device. They may not be the brand newest technology and they may not have been what people wanted, but they have generally been high quality. Sure, some of peripherals, cables, etc. would be the exception. Most of that history was under the direction of Jobs though, so who knows what the future holds though.

3. hlcc

hlcc Member

for example?

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Anyone taking advantage of the trade in a iphone 6 or higher to get a 32gb 7 for free promotion from t-mobile?

The only catch I see so far is that they put the iphone 7 on monthly payments and then credit you each month for the installment. This forces you to have to stay on t-mobile for 2 years otherwise you'll have to pay the remaining balance on the iphone 7.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You know that there's no example.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The same Samsung that had to recall their last phone?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/tec...dex.html?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

Yeah they can beat them to market with explosive devices...:rolleyes:

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I have a Note 7. Every single person I talk to says it's not only the best phone they've ever had, they'll be replacing the phone with the same. It was just a battery defect from one of the manufacturers. At least I have a ****ing headphone jack.

We're also talking like 45 phones out of a million.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So I take it you're not gonna send it in to fix right?

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

That does sound convenient for people that have it. I have similar in my car but with Android just not as integrated ha.

The main complaints I am seeing online now other than the charging and plugging in the headphones is that people who run their own business will have to buy a new credit card reader since it plugged into that port saying that it would be too loose and a pain in the connector. Other people that work in media/music saying their equipment doesnt have bluetooth. Not exactly sure how many people that really effects though. Also from what I read, it seems that people now think that the new design will make it harder to listen to pirated music with the new headphones and the digital signal similar to HDMI previously. Im sure people will figure it out quickly though if that comes up. The last complaint is that if you want the dual camera you have to get the highest model. This is all IF people want to move to this phone especially since the Iphone 8 is supposed to be big.

It is a little funny that they are so positive that wired headphones should be a thing of the past but they include wired headphones with the phone. They should have been extra courageous and included the new headphones with it or a cheaper version. They will still sell quite a bit of them since they are so small and easy to lose. It might be smart to include a small chord or something that gives users the option to connect the headphones together. I know when i take mine out, i drape the chord over my neck/shoulders.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They will be replacing it in person within the week. So, no...I won't be "sending" it anywhere. I don't think my phone has the defect, but I'm not stupid either.

11. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

At least Samsung knows how to take care of their customer right away unlike another company who blames user error. Bendgate and Attenagate:rolleyes:

There are 2 options on how to send your note 7

1. Go to the carrier store you got it from and exchange it when the new shipment comes in 2 weeks.

2. Sign up and wait for the phone to arrive at your place and swap out and send it back.

I'm going with option 1 . Not all devices are perfect. I'll take that into consideration. It's how you take care of your customer who shell out $900 phone with respect instead of belittling them.

#111 got em COACH, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Samsung is great at a lot of things (and I've had several Samsung phones myself) but you can't possibly compare Samsung and Apple when it comes to service. Apple has its own retail network across the US. Samsung more or less has to rely on carriers and third parties to service its devices.

Apple's service network blows every other phone out of the water. They're the only manufacturer that directly services their phones in stores with a large retail network to boot. That's far superior to anything Samsung has.

13. got em COACH

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

was there any update on the next mac mini release?

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you bothered to read what else I wrote, DA, you would see that is exactly my point.

Apple does a superior job of pushing out quality products. Eventually corners will be cut. That said, Apple has quality control issues in the past, as any other product on this planet.

The exploding phone is a headline trend. If you dig deeper, all manufactures have had worse issues.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Android manufacturers will do the same as well. USB-C made this possible. Lenovo already got rid of it on the Moto Z. This is an industry decision beyond Apple.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure how this is even a benefit. It reminds me of a couple douchetard Apple fan(girls) who were bragging on facebook how they just scheduled an appointment to have their phone serviced at an Apple center. Two hours after their appointment, they were b****ing up a storm how they had to wait over an hour even though they had an appointment.

First off, I have the expectancy that I should not need to get my phone 'serviced' in any way. This isn't a car that needs an oil change.

Secondly, I've only had one Galaxy that had an issue. One call to VZW tech support and two days later I had a new phone at my door step. 10 minutes on the phone and another 10 minutes of swapping out a phone. 0 drive time and zero line wait. I'll take that over any care center.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why did USB-C make this possible. Why not a plain old usb jack?

19. got em COACH

Because it only plugs in one way — so you have to make sure it’s oriented correctly when you plug it in. USB type C is like the lightning connector. You can plug it in without double checking to see if its in correctly.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

In most cases when a company does something like this it's because a newer, better technology has emerged and is clearly going to make something obsolete *very soon* if not already. The difference here between what happened with floppy disks, VHS, CDROMs, etc is that Bluetooth technology has been around a while now and it doesn't look like it will ever completely replace the 3.5mm aux. For headphones, sure, BT will eventually become the ubiquitous standard. But there are hundreds upon hundreds of peripherals and home/car tech that rely (understandably so) on the aux port. This is really is a case of fixing something that isn't broken, or worse yet, removing something universal for the sake of creating a proprietary alternative to bilk your userbase.

Just another reason I left Apple and never looked back.