1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady: 'I am proud to call Yao my friend'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Nice article by Tracy McGrady talking about Yao Ming. If only they stayed healthy :(

[​IMG]

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17421964/yao-ming-impact-reaches-far-nba-court

When I got traded to the Houston Rockets in 2004 I really didn't know Yao Ming. He'd been in the league a few years, we'd both been to the All-Star Game and we played against each other a few times, but I had never talked to him.

I didn't think he could speak any English and I was worried about that. I thought: "How is this going to work?"

I had just won the last two scoring titles with the Orlando Magic, but I was so excited to be playing with a great big man that I knew I was going to have to work with him and feed him the ball. But to do that, we needed communication.

How would I talk to him on the court? Would I have to look over at an interpreter on the bench every time we needed to say something to each other? I was thinking maybe we'd have earpieces or something.

When I finally met him, I realized two things: he does speak English and not only does he speak it, he has an amazing sense of humor.

I loved seeing his personality come out more and more over the years as he got more comfortable in Houston. That's how I really learned what an amazing person he is. He will sometimes just pretend he doesn't speak English -- he does that even to this day!

I remember when he came to my wedding reception in 2006. My family and friends were so excited and they all wanted to take pictures and get autographs, and he pretended he couldn't understand them. I just had to sit back and laugh.

1 person likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Count down to tinman appearing in this thread...

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't remember the last time I read an article on ESPN. But for Yao, anything!

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

T-Mac is a true Houston Rocket and American patriot!

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Always get sad thinking about Yao. :(

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Yao won over a skeptical country both on and off the court. That's a man. He adapted and excelled.

7. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Ugh, man. Gut shot. I do look at the Yao and Tracy era fondly. It was so promising, yet so disappointing and frustrating. Still, I'm glad we had them for when we did.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I am glad that Yao Ming calls T-Mac his friend, as well. T-Mac is a great ambassador for the Rockets and I hope he continues being affiliated with the franchise.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

FIFY

Its on me doe....
    That Toronto game doe...
    Ima have back surgery without telling the team doe....

10. 92i

92i Member

In before tinman.

11. alethios

alethios Member

It makes me sad and angry that those Yao/Tmac years were wasted either due to injury or getting outplayed in the first round. So much potential unrealized.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

One of the reasons why NBA players or athletes cannot stay healthy in general is because of sneakers. The evolution of the shoe/sneaker turning into a high raised platform taking away natural balance and putting strain on the knees, joints, and back in general is a disaster consequence. Think about it.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve Francis and Yao friendship > Tmac and Yao friendship

14. tinman

Supporting Member

fixed!

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He claimed he wish he never left the Raptors... And why? He could have done some great things with his cousin Vince before looking for money elsewhere. I don't knock him on that. Vince Carter in his prime was something special.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I'm not sure about that. You had Kareem playing 20 years in Adidas Superstars and what not.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Much lower to the ground and probably better natural balance feel. Modern athletes grew up wearing 'platform' like footwear where they are dependent upon big heel cushioning which is completely anti-balance and the heel is not meant to absorb impact in that manner all the time. The heel is mainly balance.

Take of your shoes and go out to a well groomed field (synthetic or otherwise) and make quick movements or cuts and try jumping...

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What about Lakers? Yes or No?

1 person likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

LOL!! Wow I forgot about that one, Tmac did so much anti-Rocket stuff back then.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I remember the .gifs back then. Trying to find TMac Lakers #1 .gif. Tracy was not only rooting for the Lakers while the Rockets were still in playoff contention but touted them as the favorites to win it all... That is a pure kick to the balls. I know he was injured but still. Can somebody find that funny photoshop .gif of McGrady smiling while wearing that big ass Lakers Number One glove?