1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

No love for A&M? :grin:

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hookem b****es !

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

absolutely not haha... went to SWT, always been a Texas fan just couldn't get in (lots of family did tho), and will always rep htown (also family).

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I feel like pretty much every play Buechele ran was an RPO (Run Pass Option). He had the choice to either hand it or keep the ball and throw it.

I could be off base though.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So you had them favored to win this game? I guess you and DD were the only ones. Not sure why I'm even responding to your dumb ass. Start Savage? Seriously?

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is mascot'in supposed to be hard?? We just beat a top ten team. Is that good? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HookEm?src=hash">#HookEm</a> <a href="https://t.co/5N2F0FCP28">pic.twitter.com/5N2F0FCP28</a></p>&mdash; BEVO XV (@TexasMascot) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasMascot/status/772648368052985856">September 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Man, I am still smiling from cheek to cheek. Even though I had to give away my tickets to go to my cousin's wedding. Every single table had a phone propped up streaming the game. Ruthless priorities, lol.

Hook 'Em!

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just got home from DKR, what a game. The stadium hasn't felt like that since I was in school and I'm so happy we won. This is a game we would've lost the last two seasons and I'm glad to see Swoopes be the hero. He's gotten so much ****, but he's found his place on this team. Buechelle has potential.

All of that said, what in the hell is wrong with special teams under Strong? How many years do we need to see bone headed penalties, blocks in the back and freak plays like the blocked PAT? The team wasn't set and they rushed it, leading to the freak block and two points.

Hook 'em!

9. Major

Major Member

It's amusing reading this thread. The defense has some work to do, but they stood pretty tall in the middle part of the game. 9 of the regulation points weren't really on them (turnover and then 2-pt conversion).

The offense looks better than it has since the Colt McCoy days - and even those were primarily a product of sheer talent. This offense was truly creative - changing pace, opening up the field, trusting their players, etc. They could run up the middle and to the outside. They threw the ball short and deep effectively. The main thing they didn't do was throw intermediate and in the middle of the field, but those are the areas where you can have the most mistakes misreading coverage and the like, so I imagine they were protecting the new QB to some extent. This offense has the potential to be on par with the high-powered offenses in the conference like Baylor and Tech.

ST had the one big mistake where they should have taken the delay of game and reset. But otherwise it was great - kick coverage was good, punting was phenomenal, they blocked a FG, etc.

I can't imagine anyone watching that game and not being impressed with what they saw. Texas has every reason to believe they can compete for the B12 title this year, especially with their schedule (Baylor, TCU, WVU all at home) and with OU and TCU showing some early weaknesses this weekend.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The special teams gripe is they gave up too much field position due to missed tackles and dumb mistakes that hopefully will be corrected in the coming weeks. The D line looked great at times but put no pressure on the QB. The pressure came from LB and secondary blitzes. They just looked blah. Not sure if it's because ND has a great o line or they're just not that great at hitting gaps, bull rushing and just getting in the backfield in general.

11. Major

Major Member

Doesn't ND have arguably the best O-Line in the country? I was impressed that we contained their running game pretty well after that first drive. There were some coverage issues, but overall the tackling was solid and they did a lot of bend-but-don't-break type stuff. Certainly can get better, but they might have been facing one of the best offenses in the country too.

12. Major

Major Member

On offense, I think was the best system / playcalling since the Major Applewhite era. Obviously Vince was able to do crazy stuff off sheer talent and Colt with his short game accuracy, but this offense seems to have real balance and a mix of ways to beat people.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This game was the most important of Strong's UT career. I saw the list of players that were at this game. UT could have a ton of talent on this team in 3 years if they play their cards right.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I honestly have no idea, that's what I was asking my friends and myself. Is our d line that bad or is their o line that good. Nobody could answer. Your post finally gave me an answer. Grace! :)

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

While I am no fan of UT, college football just isn't the same without them. I really cannot explain why, it just isn't.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm starting to get behind this UT-Austin team. A lot to like.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They're basically the Texas version of the NY Yankees. Some passionately love them, some love to bandwagon with them, and many passionately detest them. If you are a football fan in this region you aren't indifferent to UT, therefore them being relevant is very good for business.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think we played a lot of 3 man fronts as well. But ya both of their lines are very good. Really like the way Mattox had the OL ready to go. Outside of the missnaps by Shack and chop block by Vahe (all very costly), thought the OL played a heck of a game. The running game was effective, 6 rushing TDs, 0 sacks, and really just not that much push or pressure from the ND DL. Not too bad for a group that got banged up a little during camp.

19. Major

Major Member

Don't take my word for it, but that's what I was hearing from the fans around us. Also I heard that their DL is basically all DT's and no DE's, so running up the gut was probably harder than normal, but running around the edges was probably easier. So not sure how reflecting that running attack will be of normal life against other teams.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A positive bigtexxx-UT comment?

[​IMG]