1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outrage at Mavs NBA 101 for Ladies

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Sep 2, 2016.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

You're throwing passive aggressive snipes right now

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That was a response to my comment that was similarish in tone.

I'll add my own similar account just because. At an old job, managers and HR appeased the crew of women workers in good ways and questionable ways by being OVER-considerate. DURING work that woman crew was all ragging to each other on another male worker who OUTSIDE OF work did something to "upset" another women coworker, WHILE he's in same work space next to them. They were clearly distracted by the clique gossip away from their own work and throwing "shade" at him making him VERY uncomfortable when he just wanted peace.

The manager told HIM to just "ignore" it and "dont YOU be distracted" because "they already are, dont want to make it more drama" ... Really they just automatically blamed HIM for causing THEIR distraction and lack of production (when he didnt even do anything bad). And its being too FEARFUL of simply telling them get back to work and save it for after, cuz addressing them gets their "FEELINGS' hurt more? All that HIS feelings, image, comfort, DONT get tended to. Its theirs that matter. And that carried on rest of the WEEK

You have 3 options, express Aggressive, Passive-Aggressive, Or be Passive/Accepting altogether. An needless eggshell situation like that requires open Aggressive "Tell them Shut Up please no time for that crap i dont care what happened" But apparently the Passive-Aggressive pc / corporatized way is the preferred handling to ensure "safety" and "non-offense". Personally I DONT think "Passive/Accepting" is the right way so at least a snipe is something lol

3. mingthething

mingthething Member

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Juwanna Mann?

A lot of movies from 10+ years ago would be PR disasters. Comedy is dead. The people have lost the ability to laugh at themselves.

5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Blame the SJWs. Generation X'ers who've turned out to be losers in life.

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

The Arkansas Razorbacks host a similar event catered to women where they teach them about football. I'm pretty sure tons of teams have these types of programs. It's f***ing stupid to criticize this. I'm completely dumbfounded. I'm a bleeding-heart liberal but this PC culture has gone too far.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They have guys night out specials.

8. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Hey boy you talk to a woman like that and you can definitely "make some waves" if ya know what I mean, uh, when the breeze of her blowing past you ripples past your frat boy stupidity. hey boy#mavscheerleaderposterslobber

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Translation anyone?

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Muck the Favs

11. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Didn't read through the thread... but the event sounds essentially like an one day basketball camp. For novices who want to learn how to play basketball specifically geared to young women who'd like to further their game.

I wish there was a basketball 101 for men hosted by the Rockets when I was younger. I would go lol. If I was a mavericks fan, a mother and had a daughter who loved basketball I'd definitely take her to the event. Good learning experience.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Hey dont "MANSPLAIN" to US any defense of this event :)

Its the whole "mansplaining" buzzword and fury thats exploded big in recent years driving this. Any form of male appearing to explain "down" to a woman about anything, or seems to want to "enlighten" her from a male perspective, expressing in a way that validates male behavior, or of course even a delicate attempt to talk against a woman's opinion and choice is inherent MISOGYNY.

And its to ONLY look at her as CAPABLE THINKING HUMAN who KNOWS. (Or her being the MORE capable one of course). Basically its dont TREAT her as an identiable "female", SHE can but YOU cant in any way.

Anyways, in the END, ITS just PEOPLE want to HAVE a little FUN in a FUN event. All that other stuff totally missed the point and is just borish Lol Good thing you just looked at the event and not the talking points

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Reaction to this "outrage" is hilarious, mostly because the outrage doesn't exist. Look at the article and the twitter responses. Those are just people saying that the marketing was a bit clumsy and tactless (which it is. I mean, "hey girl, hey"? lmao) and making harmless jokes at the Mavs expense. That's it.

Nobody's really outraged or pissed. I have no idea why feminism, PC culture, and SJWs are being brought into the convo. The Mavs did something kinda lame, and people are making fun of them for it. If I was a woman that knew a a bit about basketball (which most women that follow the Dallas Mavericks twitter account probably do) I'd be making smartass jokes about it too.

It's getting to the point where you can't take the piss out of anyone, no matter what side of the political or social spectrum you fall on.

2 people like this.
  14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Huh? From what I saw on the ESPN shows and read on twitter, the outrage did exist. Then as is the norm on social media, something else took over the news cycle.

Please explain how the marketing was clumsy and tactless?

Feminism, PC culture and SJWs are being brought into the convo because I guess everyone else has seen similar stuff in various issues that have been raised over the last couple of years. Various things that people have taken offense with.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The Mavs did nothing lame at all.

Not even one bit.

16. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

The false/stupid outrage like this is what's making Trump so popular. I mean, come on!!!!!

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Pretty much how I see it. A few sarcastic tweets and a guy with a blog is not an outrage. Everybody lighten up.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's the same with that stupid Lyft hula doll chick. No one's actually defending the woman in the press, there are no think pieces on Slate about Hawaiian cultural appropriated or how the backlash against her is sexist, there's ultimately no real story there. But some people are still acting like one idiot who got kicked out of a cab for being an ******* is evidence of PC culture run amok.

We live in a victim culture, and that extends to dudes who sincerely believe that evil feminazis are oppressing them through mass outrage or some such ****.

3 people like this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Its kind of funny that as much as people are bashing the " PC" culture they don't realize that they are in fact expressing offense at people being offended. I don't particularly like/ understand people getting outraged at things that i consider funny/or minor , but I'm not going to rant on an internet message board about how dumb people getting offended by **** is. Our culture isn't reflected in the internet, its in the real world. Sure , there is some spillover and I can understand wanting to voice an opinion to try and " balance the narrative." However, I would guess that the vast majority of people really don't give a **** either way.

As for the actual event, purely stated it is an attempt to make money and regardless of current social media " backlash" the amount of attention it is receiving is almost sure to make it a success.

1 person likes this.