1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Interested in Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Sep 3, 2016.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Montrezl > Every PF big man on this roster. Mark my words. He'll be our starter next year.

Montrezl>Anderson=Beasley=Capela>Nene

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Ha....

I'd definitely like that to be true, but even with their youth, neither Montrezl nor Clint have anything close to Ne's footwork or jumper. It's also expected that neither have the offensive or defensive intelligence at this point, mainly because of experience. Clint drives me insane, but I think he will turn out to be a good center. I'm not sure if he'll ever have a great offensive game though. Montrezl is a wildcard, but right now, he's still as raw as ever. And, let's be honest, his maturity is a work in progress. Those anger issues...

Also, FYI, Ne's ankles feel better than they have in years. In other words, his lift should be much better for defensive purposes and getting off that mid-range J we haven't had consistently since Luis Scola was here.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Is it 2007 again? We still have Scola, Battier, Brooks, Hayes, Mutombo, McGrady and Yao? Then we got Artest too? How can the rest of the league compete?

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Montrezl IMO is a wrong fit for the new system. His abilities will not mesh and he will find maturity in his new home, if maturity is to be found.

I still see some Faried in him but...

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Good to know you're around. Sorry you can't give us The Inside Stuff, but I'm glad you grace us with your presence from time to time.

6. hakeemthagreat

I like Montrez. But Nene is our best big man, and will be for the next few years. Not sure what your talking about sir

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I do see your point, understand it wasnt a snipe

Just straight up saying "PASS" on Harrell / Beasley youve seen enough, get better options, and you gave actual reasons behind it. Really thats what good posting is!

Not forgetting ChinaManNanuNanu on the team either. HE'S gonna be the best Rockets big man :eek: . Yeah thats just how it is with young projects, even if they have a low ceiling they might hang around on their drafting team just for "potential" in front of established veterans.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great to see that you are feeling well Codman.

9. dmoneybangbang

The rebounding is a bit baffling since his body is like an elite line backer with pterodactyl wings.

Aside from the rebounding and maturity, which are big issues but that's why he was a 2nd round pick, I see him becoming a very useful player if things fall the right way. I can forgive the rebounding if he can improve it from abysmal to mediocre if he can put it together in other places.

Defensively is where I see Harrell having the most impact if he can improve on said shortcomings. He's athletic and long enough to switch to the perimeter if he can get it together between the ears. He has the freakish length for his size that as we saw with OKC in the playoffs, is absolutely disruptive and game changing. If we can manage to have Harrell and Capela out there at the same time, that could be very disruptive switching as I am sure we will still do.

Offensively, he is an elite finisher at the rim and is surprisingly good from 3-9ft (52%). I am sure MDA would like Harrell if he can consistently set good screens/picks to go along with that elite finishing. Also, like KJ, MDA should put Harrell in constant motion cutting and setting screens. Speaking of KJ in that context offensively, it baffles the mind how JBB couldn't figure out how to use KJ for at least 12-15 minutes a game last season.

In the end, he is a second round pick with phenomenal athletic ability, great motor, and elite length who has to put it together between the ears.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Side note: still very perplexed that rumors are linking us to free agent big men whenever our PG situation is as hysterically bad as it currently is.

I know it's slim pickings at this point, but the fact of the matter is we only have two PG's on the roster and there are still some serviceable options available (i.e. Chalmers, Cole, Blake, etc). You would think the rumors would be linking us to one of these guys instead.

That said, I've suspected all along DM plans to make a move in the near future to acquire a PG. I highly doubt he plans to seriously roll into the season with Bev and a player that turns 40-years-old this season manning the point.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So you don't put much stock in Mike D'Antoni turning James Harden into the next Steve Nash?

*(sound of crickets chirping)*

I said, "James Harden....next Steve Nash."

*(so quiet you can hear a mouse get a hard-on)*

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

MANdry!!!!!

I am the proud owner of a Landry jersey. (home whites)

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Valid. I'm in on Chalmers (while also suspicioning a 1 could be coming and a Bev be going).

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It's doubtful that the Rockets go out and get another PG, given all the other PGs invited to training camp (Payton, Taylor and Brown). While Payton and Taylor were draft night signings (or agreements in principle), the Bobby Brown agreement seemed to signal that the Rockets would be taking a "volume" approach in training camp to see which of those guys might be able to stick.

Seems more likely that the top two PGs this season will be Beverley and Harden, with Prigioni filling in for spot minutes.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You are as bullish on Harrell as I am bear. That just screams tipjar bet

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

As much as some people here hate the likes of a guy like Bogut, he was a great trade target. Superb high IQ Center with great passing ability, a power game given the opportunities and can create from the post. Everything should have been done to acquire or sway him to coming to Houston. Sure he's injury prone but so is David Andersen. He would have been a great pickup that the Warriors will surely miss at the five. Bogut played controlled for the Olympics and will gel smoothing with the Mavs. Sux

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

David Anderson babyyyy

18. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Good to see Morey has learnt nothing. Still haven't got anywhere near enough ball handlers. Gordon can get his own shot and slash to the rim, it was a step in the right direction.

Prigioni is a thousand years old. Beverley is a nice spot up shooter who doesn't know how to run the offense. So we are going to either rely on a rookie or an ageing scorer who is unproven at NBA level to pick up PG duties? It's like a horrible nightmare.

Ariza can't dribble or handle the ball, none of our power forwards can (but Anderson can create his own shot which is nice) and we have no point guards. What could possibly go wrong. Harden is great but surely last season showed we need to change our approach, get guys who can do a little bit of everything. Being able to handle the ball and make plays should be a priority.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Harden is a MVP caliber player as the "ball handler". Last year didn't prove anything about our approach, it proved we need better players.

20. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Don't ever underestimate the Heart of a Mandry & Montrez !

#80 djperm, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016