1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Interested in Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Sep 3, 2016.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Backdoor, eh? That's why you're sensitive??

2. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Speaking of old rockets, I saw Chase Budinger at Santa Monica Pier walking alone a few nights ago. Guy looked super depressed. Wanted to talk to him for a bit or get a picture but didn't realize it was him until it was too late.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

He also lost a tooth in a playoff game against the Jazz, and later went on to make the game-saving block. Tough dude.

4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

lookin at those Sixers highlights, he can still bring offensive rebounding with a reliable jumper...we need interior quickness and blocking...seems he gonna play Center though for us just like in those plays

5. roksoer

roksoer Member

Scolandry forever, I remember when he lead the league, or was second to Kobe maybe in 4th quarter scoring. He was a beast down low with those turnaround screwdrivers.

6. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Bring Mandry back! He always fought tooth and nail... Get it? :grin:

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Those are good points

Still I didnt say give Harrell the keys to the team or make him a foundational piece. I'm surely NOT saying he has Kenneth Faried Team USA ceiling.

I'm saying teams generally don't draft guys to give up on them soon. I'm not too concerned if a player is less than their over-inflated projection and comparisons. Just because D-Mo isnt the next Dirk doesnt mean you cast him off.

Its making sure they become the best they can be for the team whether its through game minutes, D-league, being mentored, whichever. But at some point if you value them enough you need to see what they can do without blocking their path too much

That said, I'm sure Landry can still offer a team 15-20mpg. And if there's roster room at vet minimum I wouldnt cast off Landry, but with a full roster now dont know who on the team,to let go for him either. Itd have to be Beasley or a trade dumpoff of someone like Brewer or KJ (who I have similar doubts on), or Harrell

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is stupid. The team is too old as is, and he's no better than what we have at PF even down to our 3rd best PF.

This is not a team primed for a ring, and it's not going to be primed for a ring by staying the way it is. We need projects and established stars, we've got TONS of everything else. Would rather pick up anyone under the age of 21 who performed decently in europe or d-league.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Love it. Consistently high TS% even though many of his shots are mid-range and beyond. Even better when you consider he's lost some of the explosive finishing ability. Just flat out knows how to play and his energy is infectious. Would drop Beasley yesterday for him. His so-called decline is super exaggerated but that's to be expected here.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Yeah, I think I mistakenly came across like I was bashing you specifically - my bad. Just wanted to get that announcement on Harrell off my chest. I'm sure most disagree, and their opinions are as valid as mine.

What has really convinced me on Harrell is that I don't think guys his size just learn how to rebound. If it was shooting, sure. Looking back, only one guy comes to my mind who really developed strong rebounding ability - Kelvin Cato - but that guy was blessed with all the physical advantages. Harrell doesn't have those. How much more can he hustle?

Compare Harrell to Landry actually. Landry started out a great rebounder and declined to the poor rebounder he is (pretty quickly). Harrell is starting from where Landry declined to.

So, I'm writing Harrell off. He'll linger a bit, like any draft pick will with their first team. But I'm not expecting anything from him.

1 person likes this.
  11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That video was terrible.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Patrick Beverley - 28
    James Harden - 27
    Trevor Ariza - 31
    Ryan Anderson - 28
    Clint Capela - 22

Eric Gordon - 27
    (D-Mo? - 25)
    Nene - 33

That rotation certainly isn't the most youthful, but it's far from "old". Everyone except Nene is in his prime (with Capela not even there yet). And there are plenty of guys in their early 20s on the bench who may contribute.

With this roster, they can add either vets or youth. Neither will move the organizational needle much either way.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He can still play. He's FAR from the chopped liver some of you are making him out to be. Has even gotten some minutes at center over the past few years; a relevant point given Nene's injury history and Capela's propensity to disappear.

14. Rocket_Man_2.0

Why Carl Landry? Josh Smith is way better..resign him!:rolleyes:

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

but carl used to be good. thats what every dumb **** on clutchfans says, so we shoul dget him. **** montrezl, **** onaku, **** zi, **** dekker. give all those minutes to the toothless tough guy who bites gay pple. makes sense to me

landry for 2 years/2m, 2nd year team option, decline 2nd year and re-sign to 200m max, who says no? i say yes. lets make a poll

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is this year 2009? Does this interest stem from that year?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How can you miss the inofficial Slam Dunk Champ?

Cool story, bruh!

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What is wrong with you?

19. hakeemthagreat

Would take him back with no hesitation. People saying he's washed up haven't even seen the man play. Is he the same player athletically since he was here? Probably not. But I'm sure he can still hit a open jumper & grab a offensive rebound. Landry's toughness is needed

20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

It may just be insurance, but with Anderson, Beas and Trezl, there's really no reason he should get any minutes. He might just be a coach in the locker room at this point.