1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[10th ANNIVERSARY] Tracy McGrady: 13 points in 35 seconds 12/9/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SwoLy-D, Dec 9, 2014.

1. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

*can't

2. the shark

the shark Member

Of course 13 in 35 is freakin awesome and should (and is) thought of as a wonderful Rocket accomplishment/memory. As is the 22 game win streak. Nobody is saying otherwise.

That said, it was in the regular season, and thus it's WAY down the list on the most important Rocket accomplishments. Doesn't mean it's not a wonderful memory. Just as when Murphy scored 57 pts in a game back in '78.

The playoffs are where you separate the great players/teams. That's the debate on Tracy. How great can a player be if he NEVER got out of the first rd in 13 yrs with (Tor, Orl & Hou)?

What's the more important accomplishment, 13 in 35 or Elie's 3 PT kiss of death shot, or Kenny's 3pter to send the gm to overtime in the FINALS against Orlando, or Mad Max going off against Phoenix in the 2nd half, or Hakeem's shot against Utah or.....

Playoff memories vs regular season memories. Please list McGrady's playoff accomplishments that ultimately helped his team win and advance in the playoffs, because at the end of the day that's really the ONLY thing that matters.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I forgot he was only 12 for 29 that game. It's hard to remember it in any way but him hitting everything.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I really get the never got out of the 1st round vibe.....

It is not like he was a net negative in all those 1st round series, on the

contrary, before his back broke down and he had his microfracture surgery on

his knee, he was the best or Top 3 player on the Rockets playoff team as it

should have been.

You can question his legacy that he was not a legendary or superstar player,

just very good and talented.

But it was not for the lack of effort in playoff games.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Again, NOBODY is questioning McGrady's talent or that he didn't give it everything he had in the playoffs (at least they shouldn't be).

As talented as he was the facts say that he never lead/dragged a team out of the first rd of the playoffs over THIRTEEN YRS with Tor, Orl & Houston. Not being able to accomplish this certainly doesn't make McGrady trash, but on the flip side it also means that he shouldn't be placed in the upper echelon of the truly great NBA players who won championships and made deep runs in the playoffs. Did he make the players around him better, because that's what the truly great players do?

Van Gundy, Doc and Adelman are all on record saying he wasn't a leader. They all agree he was an unbelievable player as does anyone else that watched him play. That's not debatable. It's making the role players around you better. Like Iverson did with that run to the finals with Philly. It's about winning in the playoffs.

Doesn't take away that McGrady wasn't responsible for some awesome memories for the Rockets, but when you don't win ONE playoff series with the Rockets, those memories get a little tarnished when you freakin quit on your team but that's a different discussion.

You think when McGrady (or any kid) was growing up shooting hoop in the driveway they dreamed of scoring 13 pts in 35 seconds? Hell no....it was always counting down 5...4..3..2..1..for a shot at the buzzer to win the championship.

Great players know they can't do it on their own (win playoff games and ultimately titles), and they do everything in their power to make the guys around them better. Again McGrady is on record saying, "I'm not wired that way".

I just can't imagine Jordan, Magic, Hakeem, LeBron, kobe, Bird, I. Thomas, etc EVER THINKING THIS LET ALONE SAYING IT!!!!

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. I was not talking about McGrady being a legend or great player.

I give you an actual example.

Lillard is a good player, even maybe very good, and he and his Portland team did make it to round 2. (and once on Houston's behalf)

Do I think Lillard was better than McGrady? I really do not think so. He is an Allstar but nothing more.

Not making the 2nd round several times feels like a curse, it will weigh on you mentally.

McGrady was not the mentally strongest, so one 1st round exit after another

would have probably ruined his confidence quite a bit.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When this board started, it was all about the HOUSTON ROCKETS winning. then player only fans joined from all over the world because they somehow they thought because their favorite player was on this team that we should worship them like they do.

we don't.

TOFs were the classic example of this. They came from germany or the former yugoslavia , which is nowhere close to Houston. And when they saw the clips of Rockets fans in Houston booing Tmac on his return , they don't understand it. They aren't team fans.

Yes Tmac did this fantastic comeback, but that's just one game in an entire season and an entire tenure.

The worst thing they do is keep implying hypothetical situations that tmac is healthy and we got a new team and we would have won this and that.

that's called fantasy and not reality.

Here's the answer for all their speculation.

NEVER. that's the answer to the what if questions they will ask.

8. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, he had the opposite effect. The teams he left did better after he was gone.

Last Season in Toronto '99-'00: 45-37
    Post T-Mac Toronto '00-'01: 47-35

Last Season in Orlando '03-'04: 21-61
    Post T-Mac Orlando '04-'05: 36-46

Last Season in Houston '09-'10: 42-40
    Post T-Mac Houston '10-'11: 43-39

1 person likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

That's silly. Add more context and post what other players came and went those years on those respective teams.

Anyone at the time we had TMac could clearly see how good of a player. Whether or not you are butt hurt on the results dictates your personality type.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Anytime we didn't have tmac we could clearly see how good of a team we have

11. slayer700506

slayer700506 Member

12. slayer700506

slayer700506 Member

13. dmoneybangbang

Christ.... Dementia is a terrible affliction for our elderly population. There is help out there.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

My memory is sharp
    Tmac never led the rockets to a playoff series victory
    Anyone pretending that it happen needs to go to drug rehab right away

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Your the one with the ptsd my friend, he haunts your life

16. tinman

Supporting Member

did he get past the first round of the playoffs as a Rocket?

I think the answer is no

and I think the answer is no if you bump this thread in 100 years

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Can i like the Tracy McGrady? Yes or no?

18. tinman

Supporting Member

of course you can
    and you can accept rockets history too

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Ok i miss Tmac and he gave me and some on this board good memories, although he was a failure in most other aspects....see this is the point, you come in here accusing us of saying hes the best Rocket when all were doing is reminiscing some good performance hes had..

20. tinman

Supporting Member

not you specifically

the tofs like to give credit to tmac for a 22 game winning which more of a display of team ball
    the tofs who with backwards logic claim tmac is a better leader when james harden advances the rockets in the playoffs
    then the non stop what if tmac was healthy etc