1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paycheck Bounced

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da_juice, Sep 1, 2016.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

So I worked for a deli over the summer and my last paycheck has bounced not once, but twice. I keep getting hit with this stupid $12 fee from BoA for cashing bad checks.

I don't know what to do. The store is in the process of getting sold. The (now former) owner won't return my calls. The manager is the one writing me new checks, but I don't really know what power he has.

I'm at wits end. It's too small for me to go to court (about $100) but its still a lot of money (especially because I'm a college student in an expensive city).

Any advice on how to deal with this? Is this something a Department of Labor would deal with? For reference, I'm in DC not Houston.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Gofundme.com

You got screwed. And you're right. If it's around $100 that's not enough to spend to much time on. But 20 of us could throw $5 at it and make it up.

Set it up.

1 person likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Good man ^

Listen to this guy.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I really do appreciate it, but I don't feel comfortable asking you guys (none of whom I've met) for money. Tbh, most of that $100 would have went to beer and maybe a few meals. I've got a job, I'm healthy, and I have a roof over my head. It really does mean a lot though. And definitely helped cushion the news.

1 person likes this.
  5. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Where's the place you worked at?
    I'll go with you to rough him up until he decides to pay up.

You can wait in the car to avoid any connection

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Can you get $125 worth of food from the deli?

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol I would just go take some **** from the place.

It's still open? You said it's getting sold, but it's the same business right? Same manager who you're speaking to? If so just go in there, talk to the manager or whoever and demand the money (also the $24 dollars from the fee's), let them know what's up and you'll be there until you get it.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can file in small claims, and it would stop the sale, I would bet you money they quickly get you the $100.

DD

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

How does that work with taxes and stuff? According to the paystub? I had taxes taken out of my check. If I get paid off the books, do am I on the hook for them or is the store?

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

hotballa, you better pay up.

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is what illegal immigrants have to endure.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

EDIT: Actually, I think I'm wrong. Not sure. Ignore.

#12 RedRedemption, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No need to go to court. Go to the TWC website and find the form to claim unpaid wages.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Repp'd for having integrity! A lot of people would've jumped at the opportunity to receive a handout when they don't actually need it.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping one another, but only if the situation is legit and it's warranted!

Hope you receive your money soon!!!!

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Take a few chairs and pawn them for $100.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Take a few cartons of cigarettes and start selling $1 loosies

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'd just let it go. You said the money would just be for beer and a couple of meals anyway, seems like a lot of hassle for $100. Really not worth it in my opinion.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How did that story go again with the other thread handout guy on this forum? I'm at a bank and want to open a checking amount with no money? Turns to another ClutchFans member in line with another teller..."can I borrow five dollars so I can open a checking account?". Response: "Umm...yea...remember me...gave you money last time...umm...no!"

Classic!

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Disagree. On principle, you should make it as hard as possible on the owner. They're having troubles so they'll shifting the burden to their most vulnerable counter-party, their employees. Doesn't matter that the money is for beer, the owner is stealing labor from people who put their trust in him. If you have the capacity to fight, you should, because there are other people who don't have the capacity.

DC has a Dept of Employment Services who will take your complaint.

Writing bad checks is illegal in DC. Send them a certified letter demanding payment (and I'd include any fees you incurred). Tell them in your letter that you will contact the police and take legal action if they do not rectify in 5 days. If they don't pay you in 5 days, call the police and file a police report. http://www.badcreditmd.com/bad-check-laws/districtofcolumbia/

And, don't accept another check from them. Insist on cash or money order.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wife dealt with same situation a few years ago. Quit depositing checks. Try cashing them at their bank to avoid fees. Consider cashing at Walmart if the check is no good.

Only other acceptable option is to demand cash instead of check.