1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm wearing socks depicting a related group of people as animals, as a commentary about how some of them are bad. I don't quite follow his logic.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with the whole anthem thing...like maybe he's just a bit misguided. But with the Fidel Castro shirt and now the socks, it doesn't seem like he has much of a coherent thought process.

#361 DCkid, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

But you will have liberal scum-bags on here still defend him.
    Liberals hate cops and love criminals. They need scum-bag criminals to win elections.

3. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I hope a cop beats the **** out of his ugly face.

Freedom of speech

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The relevance to the situation.

VeteransforKaepernick shows a number of them take no offense to what he did since so many in the public felt the need to put words or beliefs out there that a number of those veterans don't concur with. Simple enough.

Source?

5. ferrari77

Your place of work and that of a professional sports team aren't even close to being the same in any way. A lot of things happen within a professional sports team/at their facility or stadium and in their locker rooms that wouldn't be allowed at your place of work.

I believe some times NFL teams stay in the locker room until after the anthem, maybe more will decide to do that this season.

6. conquistador#11

Seven droughts coming to a town near you.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Still no anthem, still no regrets for Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

[​IMG]

Twenty years later, despite losing prime years of NBA stardom, enduring death threats and having his home burned to the ground, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf still does not stand for the national anthem.

The quicksilver guard who foreshadowed NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s protest is now living in Atlanta, taking care of his five teenage children along with his ex-wife, training NBA players, and giving occasional speeches to groups in black or Muslim communities. At age 47, he has no regrets about choosing the difficult journey that Kaepernick is just starting.

“It’s priceless to know that I can go to sleep knowing that I stood to my principles,” Abdul-Rauf told The Undefeated. “Whether I go broke, whether they take my life, whatever it is, I stood on principles. To me, that is worth more than wealth and fame.”

Abdul-Rauf has never spoken to Kaepernick, and isn’t a football fan. But he supports the quarterback’s protest and message “1,000 percent,” saying that it created a valuable debate.

“It’s good to continue to draw people’s attention to what’s going on whether you’re an athlete, a politician, or a garbage man. These discussions are necessary,” he said. “Sometimes it takes people of that stature, athletes and entertainers, because the youth are drawn to them, [more than] teachers and professors, unfortunately.”

Abdul-Rauf first came to public attention as a Louisiana State University freshman sensation then named Chris Jackson. At just 6-foot-1 and 165 pounds, he averaged 30 points per game with a hair-trigger jumper and acrobatic layups. Despite having Tourette’s syndrome, he went pro after his sophomore year, was picked third in 1990 by the Denver Nuggets, and converted to Islam. By the 1995-96 campaign, Abdul-Rauf was doing unguardable Stephen Curry things, such as giving Utah 51 points and dropping 32 on Michael Jordan when dealing the Chicago Bulls a rare loss in their 72-win season.

That season also is when Abdul-Rauf’s conscience told him not to stand for the anthem. At first, nobody noticed as he stretched or stayed inside the locker room instead. When a reporter finally asked about it, the issue exploded.

Like Kaepernick, Abdul-Rauf said he viewed the American flag as a symbol of oppression and racism. Abdul-Rauf also said standing for the anthem would conflict with his Muslim faith. “You can’t be for God and for oppression. It’s clear in the Quran, Islam is the only way,” he said at the time. “I don’t criticize those who stand, so don’t criticize me for sitting.”

On March 12, 1996, the NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf for one game, citing a rule that players must line up in a “dignified posture” for the anthem. It cost him almost $32,000 of his $2.6 million salary. The players union supported Abdul-Rauf, and he quickly reached a compromise with the league that allowed him to stand and pray with his head down during the anthem. But at the end of the season, the Nuggets traded Abdul-Rauf, who averaged a team-high 19.2 points and 6.8 assists, to the Sacramento Kings.

His playing time dropped. He lost his starting spot. After his contract expired in 1998, Abdul-Rauf couldn’t get so much as a tryout with any NBA team. He was just 29 years old.

“It’s a process of just trying to weed you out. This is what I feel is going to happen to [Kaepernick],” Abdul-Rauf said. “They begin to try to put you in vulnerable positions. They play with your minutes, trying to mess up your rhythm. Then they sit you more. Then what it looks like is, well, the guy just doesn’t have it anymore, so we trade him.”

“It’s kind of like a setup,” he said. “You know, trying to set you up to fail and so when they get rid of you, they can blame it on that as opposed to, it was really because he took these positions. They don’t want these type of examples to spread, so they’ve got to make an example of individuals like this.”

After the NBA shunned him, he played a season in Turkey, making about half of the $3.3 million he earned in the last year of his NBA contract. Abdul-Rauf caught on with the NBA’s Vancouver Grizzlies in 2000-2001, but played only 12 minutes per game. He never got another NBA opportunity, playing another six seasons in Russia, Italy, Greece, Saudi Arabia and Japan before retiring in 2011.

The overseas option doesn’t exist for football players, and Kaepernick is in a vulnerable position with the San Francisco 49ers. His $11.9 million base salary is guaranteed for this season. But he’s been injured often, and has lost the starting spot that seemed so secure after his galloping runs and rocket passes led the 49ers to the 2013 Super Bowl. (They lost 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens.)

Abdul-Rauf says Kaepernick was smart to have some guaranteed money in hand when he sat out the anthem. “There’s nothing wrong with it. It doesn’t belittle his stand whatsoever. He signed a contract. I’m not saying it was planned. Even if he planned it, it was an intelligent move, because he has foresight to know how the system and how the minds of people work.”

Kaepernick is still taking a significant financial risk. After this season, the 49ers can cut him and not pay another cent of the six-year, $110 million contract he signed in 2014.

“Look at all of what he has to lose by taking this position: his wealth, his endorsements, possible threats, the attacks against his family. He has a lot to lose. As far as I’m concerned, I think it’s more selfless than selfish,” Abdul-Rauf said.

“He’s willing to put all of that on the line because, to him, truth is more important than those things. Justice and equality is more important than those things.”

It all brings up strong memories of his own protest experience. That includes death threats by mail and telephone, and the letters “KKK” being spray-painted on a sign near the construction of his new house, five miles outside his hometown of Gulfport, Mississippi. His then-wife did not want to move into the 2,800-square-foot residence, and in 2001, while it was vacant and for sale, it was destroyed by fire.

“I want to live and die with a free conscience and a free soul when it’s all said and done. That’s the journey I’m on,” Abdul-Rauf said. “I had to make that decision for myself and I found that after I did that, it took off a huge weight. Do you get ridiculed? Do you hear the nonsense? Do people try to assassinate your character? Yes, but when it’s all said and done, you’re like, man, I feel good because I know that I’m standing on something that I believe in.”

In the 1990s, few athletes took stands on social issues, which made Abdul-Rauf an outlier. Today, Kaepernick’s protest is the latest move – and one of the boldest – in a resurgence of athlete activism.

“It is beautiful to see,” Abdul-Rauf said of the growing movement, “and it’s going to be hard to stop.”

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Join the military, have some friends, bee your own source

1 person likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same people complaining about this are the same ones who cry about safe zones and complain about people suppressing free speech. Really shows how hypocritical it is.

We have a race relations problem in this country. Having someone call that out at a major level isn't a bad thing. Sports have nothing to do with patriotism. Being a great athlete doesn't make you a patriot. Neither does standing for a song or a flag.

Willing to die to defend a country is patriotism. Having the strength to take ridicule for something you believe in is patriotism in America - that's the fundamental idea of America - that no matter how many people disagree or hate you, you can express yourself.

The only reason this is a big deal is because people make it a big deal. It's all about the reaction.

At the same time he should tell people what he wants to happen though. A protest doesn't require it, but patriotism does.

10. dback816

dback816 Member

You dont know it, because it's not colors with a "s"

We don't have Colors(s)LivesMatter movements shutting down roads, harassing students in libraries, hijacking other people's rallies, holding anti government protests or chanting for the deaths of police officers. There is only one movement doing that.

1 person likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, why did he choose to stand during the singing of God Bless America? If he is going to protest, then protest. Don't pick and choose.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think BLM is painting white people as the enemy. There's enough white people in those protests that walk side by side with black people to clearly distinguish the contrasts between that movement and the WLM movement.

It's more about Black Lives Matter Too rather than Black Lives Matter More.

There will always be idiots doing ****ty things to people not their skin color and then hide behind a movement to evade responsibility. You see that in Occupy, the Tea Party, and here. That tragic event in Dallas was mostly peaceful until a lunatic did what he did.

What can you do? Walk up to a BLM office, and lay it all out on the table like you did here. Tell them you're not signing up to help. You're out of your comfort zone, but you're more curious about the movement and what it means to you and how we can all begin to think of ways that aren't portrayed as zero-sum answers. Come with an open maybe ignorant mind, mention how the media isn't really helping in that department and talk like human beings.

Whether things end up good or bad, you tried and at least you have a story.

13. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Like Kaepernick, Abdul-Rauf said he viewed the American flag as a symbol of oppression and racism. Abdul-Rauf also said standing for the anthem would conflict with his Muslim faith. “You can’t be for God and for oppression. It’s clear in the Quran, Islam is the only way,” he said at the time.

That's some gold.

I guess the Koran saying homosexuals should die isn't oppression

14. ferrari77

Mmmmk so that means no source as to "the majority of vets are against Kaepernick" statement. You just put that in your post for effect. All good.

#374 ferrari77, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  15. ferrari77

Maybe this has been mentioned before but why aren't more people talking about the playing of the Star Spangled banner before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT.

Is it really necessary to play it/have it sung before every sporting event? All 162 games of the Baseball season, 82 games of the NBA season and playoffs? MLS games and Soccer exhibition matches?

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

America gets triggered over the most insignificant things

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You want criminal assault done to him for wearing some socks you disagree with. :rolleyes:

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, at least then he'd have a legitimate reason to act the way he has....either that or maybe it would fix whatever is wrong with him. Let's not dismiss the suggestion out of hand.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I never understood this. I understand playing the anthem in a game between national teams. But not for every game. It is just stupid.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here's a history of the anthen being sung at baseball games:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/30/a-brief-history-of-the-star-spangled-banner-being-played-at-games-and-getting-no-respect/

Interesting it notes that the Baltimore Orioles eliminated the playing due to what they thought was fan disinterest and disrespect.

Here's a broader history of the anthem and sports:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/history-behind-kaepernick-protest-sports-dissent-star-spangled-banner-n640256

Some interesting facts about past protests the anthem:

Other famous protests include American Olympic runners, Tommie Smith and John Carlos, raised their fists in a black power salute during a medal ceremony at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City as the anthem was playing.

And Dion Waiters refused to stand for the anthem in 2014.