1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BleedRocketsRed, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, he can "speak out" about whatever he wants, and I can call him a moron for it if he's sincere and kind of an ******* if the whole thing is a bit cynical.

That's the beauty of America, douchebags like him are allowed to make asses of themselves if they so choose and people can call him out for it.

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Oh no doubt. I'm saying it's fueling the division that some see as a double standard in society regarding straight white males vs everyone who isn't a SWM. Doesn't mean they are right in their perception. I've worked in management long enough to know that things aren't always as simple as they probably should be with regards to these touchy subjects.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is his right, his freedom of expression.

DD

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

598 posts to go. I've said it once before I think. I better be mentioned in your epic 100,000th post.

5. Rocket_Man_2.0

This dude is ruining his career...he better apologize or no NFL team will sign him! You gotta respect the flag! :rolleyes:

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...actice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

[​IMG]

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Average straight, white, non-political nor overly religious male here.

Can I ask y'all something?

Lemme start by saying I acknowledge the problems our society faces. Skin colors, womens, gays, worship....I know it. I see it. I know it's wrong. You don't have to convince me when a police wrongly shoots a person. You don't have to convince me that women deserve better pay and less unwanted sexual advances. You don't have to convince me that gays deserve equal view under the law. You don't have to convince me that not every muslim is a terrorist. I get it, I really do....to the extent that I can.

So what I'm asking is this: what do you want me to do about it?

CK protests his oppression. A free man, a handsomely paid, celebrity status holding kinda hypocritically and absolutely disrespectfully protesting openly. Seems like the oppression might be overstated but that's me, my opinion. However, I get his point. I do see when black people are mistreated and other than when it's within my personal reach to say or do something....what am I to do about it?

Do you think I control it? I made it this way? I keep it this way? I don't, I didn't and I wouldn't. Too often I see people who think I do, I did and I would. Too often I'm feeling the anti-white male current in today's causes. Make no difference between me and bigots, paint us all with one brush...it's not the best feeling in the world.

Seriously. What do you want me to do about it? When and realistically when will everyone lay down these damned burdens and get on with living? All this divisive bull**** has to end sometime, somehow. When? How? What can I do to help us all get there?

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

What does him wearing those sock have to do with BLM. NOTHING this is one mans fight and nothing to do with BLM put the blame were it belongs.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What's that old saying that bigtexxx would say....Once you resort to name calling, you've lost your argument or something like that. Lol

11. Granville

Granville Member

If you don't think that Kaepernick is caught up in that rudderless ignorant movement, you are very naive. Wearing those socks is sterotyping and pissing on the Police. That's the same damn thing BLM does day after day.

Kaepernick is at work disrespecting the American Flag and the Police Department. If anyone with a decent job wore something that visibly offensive to work, we would be reprimanded. If Kaepernick doesn't want to stand for the National Anthem, they should leave his ass in the locker room until it's over.

#331 Granville, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Oh so it's ok for the police to sterotype but when it's done by someone who isn't a cop that's when it matters. As for BLM they don't do that day after day where is your proof of that.

13. Granville

Granville Member

Well...When you stand up on a pulpit like Kaepernick is doing and scream about things such as stereotyping and in the same breath do it yourself, I'd say that matters if you want to be taken seriously.

BLM has stood behind a bunch of false flag incidents and hasn't acknowledged any of those missteps. So day after day they contribute to this type of bias toward the Police.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah like all the police shootings of black folks or racial profiling have nothing to do with it.

Sheesh.

DD

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nice, about to trigger more "Free Speech" conservatives.

This is the problem some have, no one is blaming YOU personally for anything. They are pointing the finger at the country. No you didn't make it this way...but there are people fighting to keep things the way they are and some people want things to change. Those that don't are cool with how things were. As mentioned in this thread a lot of the people championed today, Ali and MLK were hated then. Hated. Why is that?

Those that remain complacent and content are the enemies to this movement or any movement, just as they were during the first Civil Rights movement (As MLK mentioned this point several times) the best thing any one could do no matter their race is listen honestly to the complaints of people and not just dismiss it as whining or delusions.

1 person likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

"here are some bad things that people in the country have done, therefore the country is bad"

stupid argument

As is the free speech straw man. No on says Kaepernick shouldn't be free to act like a moron.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ummm, this entire thing is about a player deciding not to stand for the anthem.

Some people are saying he should just shut up and stand and others are saying he has a right to do whatever he wants at this moment.

Some are criticizing him for doing it only but saying he does have the right to do it, but there are definitely people offended that he's not standing for the flag. When you say respect the flag or leave you basically think there shouldn't be a choice in the matter. There are certainly people "Offended" by this.

As for your other point I really don't even know where to begin with that. Just wow.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While lots of well-off white people here are advising black people what they should think and do, I found I learned a lot of history that was background to Kaepernick's protest...

I did not know the composer was tone deaf, which helps explain why the National Anthem is difficult to sing
    I didn't know the composer of the National Anthem used a popular British song for the music
    I didn't know the composer was originally opposed to U.S. participation in the war of 1812 (that the song was considered a patriotic song about)
    I didn't know that the National Anthem had four verses
    I didn't know the third verse had controversial lyrics regarding "the land of the free" which would have excluded those not "free" (African slaves)
    I did not know that the composer was held captive when he wrote the lyrics, held captive by freed slaves, and thus wrote lyrics which showed he had no sympathy for African slaves
    I didn't know the parents of the composer were slave owners
    I didn't know the composer himself owned slaves
    I didn't know that the composer was a lawyer who represented cases against abolition
    I did not know the composer once wrote (about African slaves) "a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community."

19. Granville

Granville Member

All most all the shooting BLM have been protesting have been found to be justified. Even if they haven't that doesn't make it ok to piss on every police department / officer.

20. Granville

Granville Member

He's at work when he's doing this. If he wants to take a public stand on something not work related, he can do it on his own time, That's what the rest of us would have to do.