1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Bill Worrell planning retirement, Craig Ackerman to take over road TV duties

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

I think he might still voice commercials for the team. I hear him quite often on the radio on other commercials, too.

2. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

"I tell you Olajuwon has David Robinson just bamboozled."

Sad times that hes going. More Bullard and/or Drexler is even more sad.

D-rock and Trackball like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Did he actually call out harden? I often watched road streams to avoid Clyde's nonsense

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

So Craig Ackerman is doing road for this season only as Bill starts getting phased out, it doesn't necessarily mean that Craig Ackerman is going to replace Bill Worrell full time starting in 2017 does it? I do like the idea of Ackerman taking over. Brings an exciting college basketball feeling to games.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I kick that can down the road.

DD

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Things I like about Worrell was his colorful nicknames and commentary. What I won't miss is his absolutely homerism and some terribly observations he'd make.

7. Trackball

Trackball Member

How is Joe Tait in the Hall of Fame and Bill Worrell not?
    Bill and Calvin were the greatest commentators this organization has ever had.
    It's a shame there's not more of their work together on YouTube.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

50 years anniversary, why not give Bill his farewell alongside Calvin for home games? That would be the proper way to say goodbye. Now he has to suffer alongside those corny bull and clyde.

9. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

I can't believe some of yall's criticisms of Bill being too much of a homer. How preposterous. He's dedicated his entire career to this organization, has been loyal to a fault to this team, and after all he's given to this franchise...you say he's too much of a homer. Absolutely garbage that some of you expect the main TV play-by-play guy for the Houston Rockets for 30 years to NOT have at least a slight pro-Rockets slant.

Has he declined a bit and has the game seemed to have gotten a little too fast for him at times? Sure. Do me a favor though...watch other games on League Pass just to listen to those TV crews. Then come back here and let us know how good we've had it for so long.

Bill is a broadcasting a legend and should definitely be a Hall of Famer, no doubt.

He's a literal staple of my life, and NBA seasons won't ever be the same without him in the booth.

Ditto for John Paul Stevenson for the last decade or so, by the way...but at least they're replacing him with a throwback.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not sure how I feel about Thomas calling the games on the radio after listening to Peterson and the finally getting used to Ackerman. Seems very laid back for play by play calling.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I really liked Ackerman on the radio, so I'll definitely miss him there, but he'll be just fine on TV. Bull needs to go as well, they should bring McGrady back to the org and start to groom him for the spot.

12. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Don't think mcgrady should've even be considered. Rather have mutumbo

13. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Mutombo/Olajuwon combo :cool:

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tinman falls in faint.

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Nobody seems to know when exactly Bill started calling for the Rockets. A lot of sources say 1983 when HSN first started but at the earliest he called the 1981 Playoffs, particularly Game 7 between the Spurs and Rockets.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he might quit that crappy espn show he's on, then that show will get better.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Regarding bill and Calvin, we need to start a petition and present it to Morey when the preseason starts. Plaster it all over Twitter for greater visibility.

18. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I have no problem with enjoying your local guy, and certainly not with missing him as he leaves. Much luck to Bill in all his future endeavors, but...

A change has been a long, long, long time coming. Our local team is a joke nationally, and while they shouldn't make the national audience their top priority, there is a way to satisfy both.

Here is one of several similar links in support:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/the-nba-local-tv-announcer-rankings.html

#138 glenadyll, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you got some 18 to 20 year old dudes from other countries criticizing a Rockets original, Bill, who's worked for the Rockets longer than they have been alive.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Bill Worrell is a Houston as well as a Rockets institution. Its going to be sad when he calls his last game just as it was when Gene Peterson and Jim Foley called it quits.

Bill has done so much for the city as well as for UH over the years its fitting that UH will be inducting him into the Hall of Honor this November.