1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#BeMoreLikeEurope] France Wants to Ban the Burkini

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

GoTopless Day - Aug 28 2016

I think everyone should be wearing a shirt in public personally.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We love our bikinis....but forcing girls that don't want to strip down to 2 pieces of cloth seems a lot more oppressive.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I show you how free you are. . . by forcing you to do something . . . ..

BassAckward thinking there

Rocket River

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

France is attempting to preserve its cultural integrity. Expelling a ridiculous homage to an ancient, outdated tribal custom on its beaches is not only common sense - it's good for business.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

By enforcing their own outdated tribal custom of forcing women into near nudity?

Rocket River

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I tend to agree. While I don't think banning these things is going to work from a legal perspective, it's nice to see a start of the rejection of Islamic culture in the West. I am dumbfounded at the seemingly blind support of Islamic practices from a lot of progressives. Progressives wouldn't let Christians get away with the crap that they dismiss on the Islamic side.

(and before you call me a persecution-seeking Christian fundamentalist, please note that I am actually a militant atheist.)

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I can see both sides.

One side tells me it is dumb to legislate what a woman wants to wear on the beach.

The other side says: this is France. France is not the US. They have the right to defend their national identity of being French and if you don't want to align to that national identity, you don't have to be there. I think someone mentioned above: they are not the "grand experiment" or "melting pot" of the US. This isn't some humanitarian crisis where they are eliminating the women wearing burkinis, just the burkinis.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dayum. That was a solid response.

9. Supermac34

I do think someone made the point, however, that if you saw some nuns on the beach in full nun gear, you probably wouldn't give a crap other than think it looks a bit silly to see some nuns frolicking in the sun. So it is a bit disingenuous to hold someone wearing a burkini to a different standard. Additionally, where is the line drawn? If an old French Grandma wants to go to the beach and wear a long cover up that basically covers as much as a burkini, how is that the same (although I can attest to French Grandmas often wear the LEAST amount of clothes on a beach or at the pool).

10. Baba Booey

That's why I said it won't work from a legal perspective. I am just happy at the overt rejection of the culture, which I think it deserves.

11. Supermac34

My Sociology 101 professor from many years ago would say this is exactly the point of cultures. In a purely amoral world (in theory), no culture is "Right" and no culture is "Wrong" and in their little patch of the world (France) they not only have the right to push their old, outdated cultural outlook, they wouldn't be acting in a human way if they didn't. Their outdated culture is "Right" to them, and in effect, in their world, that is all that matters.

I'm not saying I agree with that assessment. Its just that's what the majority of cultures do. They have their outdated, ridiculous customs that are theirs and it is their prerogative to enable them over somebody else's outdated, ridiculous customs in their own back yard.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

How can anyone seriously argue that France isn't a melting pot? Easily the most diverse country in the EU and has been welcoming immigrants for a very long time (i.e. French Foreign Legion)

If it wasn't for the abhorrent terrorist attacks and the threat of ISIS, this would a non-issue

13. Baba Booey

With all due respect, you can take the terrorism argument completely out of the equation and there's still plenty to condemn. Islam is by far the worst religion on a planet full of bad religions.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We can have a rational discussion if you like, hyperbole gets us nowhere

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

No one is forcing anything upon anyone in this situation. The burkini is on the wrong side of history. I suggest to the burkini's proponents that they get on board with modernity or risk being left behind.

16. Baba Booey

Pussyfooting around the obvious problems with Islam isn't getting us anywhere, either. I welcome rational discussion, but I don't pull punches when it comes to religious BS.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Most ethnic group that faces discrimination in France are't the Muslims,Arab or middle easterners ,it's as usual : the Blacks. so take your argument to different direction .French want to restore their identity which is fine but too bad at one point they invaded many places and brought back some of those foreigners with them.

18. Dei

Dei Member

It's their country, their rules. But, honestly, I think a burka ban isn't going to help. It's basically addressing a symptom, not the disease. They should get out of the EU and deport all the middle Eastern and African migrants who've come there for the past decade or so. Europe gets the worst type of migrants, not that the US is any better, but Europe gets the really uncivilized ones straight from the source.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OShTUfGCnVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

They should 'd invaded Sweden and Norway instead , much easier to integrate into French culture and better quality of immigrants for sure , a good start is by dropping the francophone scheme

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

surfers and divers with their wetsuits are next on france's hit list.

this is getting embarrassing. we'll probably get laughed at by future generations over this. wearing full body swimwear will probably become the norm because of skin cancer.