1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just got the cheapest flight ever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Aug 26, 2016.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

About an hour ago I booked a one way non stop from Austin to Chicago on United that leaves at 1:45pm for $36.10 after taxes ($20.47 before taxes). Every other flight was at least $500 and had stops.

Who can top that?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Frontier airlines?

Can't say I can top it but I got a frontier one way from Houston to philly was $50.00

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would love to see some tricks on how you guys can find cheap flights, especially internationally.

#3 RudyTBag, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've gotten good domestic flight deals before, but overseas. It wasn't a shady airline either, just got real lucky with the timing and promo. The total was around the equivalent of $5, one way.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Flew internationally from Singapore to Penang for $9 after taxes last year. $0 before taxes.
    Was able to book 7 tix at that price

6. PhiSlammaJamma

US Airways shut down the Island of Dr. Moreau in the 70's, otherwise we would have free flight and feathers today.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I just booked a round trip flight to San Diego for $117 on the weekend of a pretty large music festival with Spirit. I plan on throwing all of my stuff in a backpack, I will be on the beach for 4 days. I watched flights using Hopper and I was able to save some pretty decent $. That sounds like a commercial but my new GF is a travel nut and showed it to me, that app is legit. I am watching a few trip on there. Also Skyscanner looks to be similar but I downloaded it afterwards.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Trying to fly out to LAX early AM 1/21 and return evening of 1/23. Any tips on getting a cheap flight?

Spirit was $187 but for just a little more Southwest has the same flight. Being tall I'm very hesitant to fly in a more cramped than usual Spirit plane.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I learned the hard way with Spirit. Drove to Iowa and then Minnesota this summer and was going to fly Spirit one way Minn-Houston. Really cheap tickets.

Flight was at 8pm, but a thunderstorm passes through that lasts about an hour and nearly all flights were cancelled. Spirit couldn't put my wife and I on another route home for 36 hours. Ended up getting a refund and paid for a Southwest flight the next morning at about 3x the price.

Cheap, yes, but be careful with them if you aren't really flexible with your travel plans.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yes, that is the real danger with Spirit ... or really any airline that doesn't have frequent flights. I won't book a ticket if the airline only had a couple flights a day leaving that airport.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I booked them kind of knowing they were a POS airline. I got travel insurance, would that cover something like this? I noticed they have a ton of flights on those days around my flight so hopefully I shouldn't be too SOL if there is an issue.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Houston to Detroit (non-stop)
    United
    First Class

$128.50

It was a pricing mistake.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

What airline was this and when?

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I went to Vegas $37 roundtrip

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I've done a penny flight on Spirit (Minneapolis to Dallas)

It was around $24 round trip. All of it being fees and taxes with the fare being 2 cents.

Other flights for me include $44 roundtrip to Las Vegas on Spirit, $38 round trip from MSP to Trenton NJ on Frontier. (from Trenton I took the NJ transit to Penn Station for $20, it used to be the cheapest way to get to NYC from here until they killed that route)

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Tell me y'all's secrets!! That's amazing.

Can anyone get me a ticket to Lebanon next July for under 100? lol

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

can anyone pm me on strategies to get low fares?

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah I'd like to know to. I ****ing paid $700 per ticket on United to go IAH-Cancun and return Cozumel-IAH, albeit on July 4th Weekend

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

You can check out www.escapehouston.com for pretty good deals out of Houston. Southwest Airlines has weekly sales if you book 2 weeks in advance for "wanna get away" fares. Other than that, Spirit and Frontier are known to be cheap airlines that cut out everything not necessary for flight and they nickel and dime you for anything other than your seat (bag fees, water, blanket, pillow, etc.). There are occasional sales from United, Jet Blue, etc. that I check www.slickdeals.net for when they pop up (I check this multiple times daily).

I haven't had anything crazy booked for myself, $90 round trip to Vegas from Dallas, I've seen sub $20 one way fairs on southwest airlines (hint, just because they say fares starting at $1xx doesn't mean the prices don't dip below that price if you just look manually).

Hope this helps anyone.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No doubt. I'm flying round trip to Denver from Atlanta next week for $38 total.

Last year did the same thing round trip to Denver. Flew to Chicago round trip for $30.

Philly was my first trip $29, flew back from DC for $39, which they then turned around and gave me a $50 credit for my flight being delayed a couple hours, which I turned around and used to fly to Milwaukee $39 each way before the credit.

After my upcoming flight to Denver, I'll have enough miles for a free one-way to LA from ATL.