1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voting For or Against?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Aug 25, 2016.

?

What is your motivation for your vote?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2016.
  1. For Hillary

30.4%
  2. For Trump

3.6%
  3. Against Hillary

14.3%
  4. Against Trump

51.8%
  1. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

2. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I chose against Trump, but I'm really voting against both.

Having a tough time choosing which 3rd party I am going to vote for. I like the Greens platform better, but I don't want to reward them for not being able to find a better candidate than Stein. She's a nice lady and I'm sure her hearts in the right place, but she makes them look like a joke party (or, rather, she proves that they're a joke party).

Johnson is a serious actual politician and candidate. I disagree with a lot of his views, but I agree with others enough that I might vote for him and hope doing so will help the process of destroying the hegemony of the two corrupt corporate neo-liberal parties that are destroying this country in order to enrich themselves and their friends.

Of course, I mainly just vote because I think politics is interesting, in a sort of hobby sort of way. I know in truth it is pretty meaningless, and that real change only ever comes through direct action.

3. Buck Turgidson

So when is this revolution you're espousing? And will it be televised?

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Who knows, it may never happen. Or it may. Typically when such things happen it is because of social and/or economic collapse where the hegemony of the status quo breaks down and people are able (or forced by desperation) to start trying other ways to live. An uprising ex nihlo pretty much never occurs, or at least never works. It is typically a war, civil war, coup, economic collapse, famine, etc. that precipitates such events.

If Trump become president I think he would cause issues and tension such that a chance to start resistance movements might arise. Luckily he is going to lose disastrously.

So, I'd say the most likely scenario that may occur is that another economic downturn like 08 happens again, and then a cop irresponsibly kills someone and it starts circling social media during an already tense time with people out of work and getting evicted (like in 08), and then that community reacts as communities have been to such things more and more -- with riots -- but in the more desperate environment people are more radicalized and militant, and things escalate worse than current riots have been.

And then if that sort of riotous resistant attitude spreads like Occupy did...and maybe there's even a politically crazy landscape like this election has been -- well, maybe something could happen.

I wouldn't say I'm exactly hoping for such an occurrence, I just think it is best to be prepared is all -- otherwise things can go fascist instead of revolutionary at such times. I do think anarchism would be better than what we have now, but I would never want to force people into dire circumstances to get it. But, if our fearless leaders bungle things enough to place us there anyway, then we may as well take advantage to make sure they can't do so again, and so that we can gain more power over our own lives and communities.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Against Trump. Against Hillary. Against Johnson.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should have nuked Iran!