1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dermatologist recommendation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Who here knows of a good dermatologist's office here in the Houston area?

I live in the Westchase area but if I have to drive a little it's okay.

The wife is suffering a bit of hair loss. Nothing horrendous, but naturally it can be traumatizing.

The last place we were going....mmm, decent staff, and nice people, but the right doctor can make a lot of difference. I found that out a couple years back when I had some medical issues.

Of course then there's always the question of what places accept what medical plan, but I'll deal with that later.

If anyone knows a good dermatologist and can share that with me, I'd appreciate'cha.

1 person likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

http://dermtexas.com

Offices around Houston. They've caught early stages of melanoma twice and have helped me with other skin problems.

I use Sra out of the Webster office, but I've had some of the other doctors do checkups when she isn't available.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really sorry to hear that, man ....But, Dr. Waisman has been my Dermatologist since 15 or so. She's among the best ...and handles a wide spectrum of issues. She'll set things straight.

Dr. Margaret Waisman

4101 Greenbriar #115

Hou, Tx 77098

713 526 1667

#4 Plowman, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Check thyroid levels as that can cause hair loss in women too..

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Dr. Melissa Bogle

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Goto your PCP first, depending on the type of hair loss it could signal a bigger underlying problem. Then just get the referral if need be..

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Drs. Jon Stern and Adrienne Glaich on Beechnut

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I work with Dermatologists within the Houston area. Your best choices imo are Bellaire Dermatology and Dr. Stephen Mahoney. Dr. Mahoney is closer to you. He is right off of Richmond by the West Houston Medical Hospital. Bellaire Dermatology has some of best thought leaders in Dermatology. Highly recommend them if you can get in there.

10. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Hair loss? Call Dr. Boozer. He will give you 10 tips other dermatologists don't want you to hear!

[​IMG]

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Hair Loss?...perhaps you should see an endocrinologist first. Unless of course you see irregular patches where the hair is lost, which dermatologists can help with.

There are some good suggestions on this thread...another one I can recommend is Dr. Marjory Nigro... She has two offices. Went with my mother for one of the appointments she had for a skin issue, and she was pretty decent.

BOL.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Exactly this.

She needs hormonal tests, ANA,TSH, medication history reviews, physical test of infection,family history , if things are negative,a Dermatologist can take over from there

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I appreciate all the help, and am glad that only one of you was clown enough to post a picture of Carlos Boozer. ;)

It's not that my wife has gone Boozer. But you notice when the scalp starts to show, and when there's more hair than before in the drain-trap. She had some of the blood tests to look for underlying causes (believe me, I know all about getting the proper blood tests when I found out I had parathyroid disease---but only after wasting time and money with the wrong doctors), and all that was fine.

But the person who saw my wife, while capable and nice and all that, was not an MD but (I had to go double-check this) a MSN FNP (Nurse who also studied about dermatology). The location's MD didn't have available appointments. I had gone there and saw someone else, also not an MD, and he took care of my basal skin cancer very thoroughly and neatly. But my wife wants an MD, no ifs, ands, buts, or bulls***s.

The hair loss might just be a stress thing. Which I don't take lightly, mind you. Anxiety kinda runs in her family. Her sister back in Brazil has a bit of the same problem. Might even be genetic.

If this is something we can pinpoint, and not have to pray to the Gods of Rogaine, we want to take care of it. Losing hair is traumatic enough for a man (although you see lots of women with the problem as well).

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

so she sorta having family history ,but assuming everything else is fine ,most likely she will use topical minoxidil ,effective but needs continues use . Best wishes