1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial double standard in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 20, 2016.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sweet Lou is obsessed with hating on white people.

you mad bro?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't seen a single person give Lochte the he's just a kid excuse. All I've heard and read is that he's an idiot and deserves whatever bad fallout comes his way.

Also haven't heard a single person in real life say any of those disparaging things about Douglas. Only random, anonymous internet trolls.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Since when is 32 years old considered a kid? :confused:

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Sweet Lou just has a chip on his shoulder and wants to turn everything into race wars.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Sigh.

The Ryan Lochte story was world wide news, on the front page of most news sites. Gabby's story was news, but nothing near Lochte's. Also there were a number of articles defending Gabby; I don't know of any that have defended Lochte and he is likely losing millions.

As far the "hair" situation, the vast majority of people on social media discussing her hair were black people.

What about the fall out of Phelps when the bong picture came out? He was criticized for years.

Race and poverty play a part to some degree in most culturally influenced experiences; however it is usually nuanced.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Lochte is a spoiled punk. He should have just paid the $400 for being a drunken douche and kept his mouth shut.

What I'm waiting on is the transgender group chiming in when Kate wants to race in the women's events.

7. amaru

amaru Member

FYI black people can espouse and further racist ideas.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Maybe he just hasn't met the RIGHT white person to turn his heart around.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's a reflection of the most vulgar and absolutist thing people think they can say in relative anonymity that will also garner approval from their immediate online audience. It's a catalyst for intensity and aggression, not accuracy or earnestness. Even so you've got about 29 more Olympiads and a few thousand more athletes' experiences to document before this racial preference theory has any legs.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

^^^This.

So many that you cannot even bother to quote and link even one of them, not to mention a few.

This is just you trolling, race-baiting and straw-manning all in the same thread. In other words, business as usual by you.

1 person likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This is what I'm trying to say. One guy who is part of the IOC and the Olympics says Lochte is a kid and probably would've said the same thing for any other country's athlete regardless of race and people are going crazy about this? lol. Just seems so pathetic to reach for something like this. I hope some of you that are really reaching are actually giving this a hard thought to see how stupid your logic is.

I'm not sure how you can even bring up race in this Lochte thing. Everyone's pretty much trashing him for what he's done, yet a few people here with obvious agendas seem to be claiming that people are making excuses for him. Where? Show me please. Idiocy.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty derp thread, not shocking given the OP.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a black athlete vandalized a bathroom they wouldn't be calling him an idiot, they would be calling him a hoodlum and say it reflects their class. No one is attacking Lochte as a low-life, just a drunken idiot. It's a total double standard in my opinion.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You cannot assert a "double" standard when one of the scenarios is fictional criticism towards hypothetical behavior.

16. ItsMyFault

Who's "they"? Where is the double standard?

So any time a white athlete does something wrong, are you just going to assume people are going to look at it differently and call it a double standard based on what you think might have happened if the athlete was of a different race?

This is what I'm saying lol. The fact that someone is actually using this story in a racial way is just pathetic and sad. There was a few people on twitter comparing it to Mike Brown because a gas station was involved. It's just a pathetic reach as I said earlier. Normally I don't give two ****s about **** like this but it's pretty annoying that people can use even the Olympics where all these nations come together to paint their agenda about inequality and race.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is for collegiate sports but I think it's still applicable:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/sports-media-is-still-racist-against-black-athletes

18. ItsMyFault

lol... No it's really not applicable. We're talking about the Olympics here. The MEDIA in general talked about this story, it wasn't just sports outlets like is the case for collegiate sports. Do you think Yahoo would've called someone a thug? Washington Post? Houston Chronicle? This was front page news for America. So you basically have nothing to go on except assuming that they would but I'm not sure how one could assume considering the stage and how something like this has never happened before. Again, it's just silly at this point to even use this story to paint the fact that people would create a double standard towards black athletes. This story doesn't fit that at all because while it is still sports, this is on a whole other level.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What are you talking about? This study was regarding perceptions of black and white athletes - nothing is ever going to be a perfect comparison. I think there is a lot of truth that mistakes a black athlete makes are more likely to be attributed to their character than white athletes.

You see it here in this case. With Gabby Douglas people question her patriotism, but with Ryan Lochte - people are just saying he is a drunken idiot - not one is say he is a person of low-character.

20. ItsMyFault

Black and white athletes in regards to collegiate sports, yes. Sure they can be, but you can't say that media outlets and the majority of people would be calling a black swimmer any different if he was drunk, urinating and destroyed a sign at a gas station and then wasn't completely honest when asked about it. Lochte made himself look like a douchebag, and people have been trashing him and his character since this thing happened.

What are you talking about? There have been plenty of people that have said he's a person of low character. The Gabby Douglas thing is a silly gossip story of people nitpicking something. How can you compare that to the Lochte thing at all? Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. The only thing in common between both things are that they were Olympics related.

#40 ItsMyFault, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016