1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it worth it to pay full price for the latest phone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vaioavan63, Aug 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I have a Note 2 with Verizon, unlimited text/data. I'm way overdue for an upgrade and I have my eyes on the Note 7. I don't want to lose my unlimited data. They offer 1GB for $30 bucks these days which sounds lame. I pay $30 for unlimited data/text. I can comfortably afford the $900 price tag. But that is too damn much for a phone. I average around 7GB per month.

2. The Boz

The Boz Member

I would do whatever it takes to keep the unlimited data. Dont screw that up. When I upgrade my phone I always go with the previous version of the latest model for half the price. Not worth the $ for me to have the latest and greatest. To each his own.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How the heck did you keep your unlimited data at 30 bucks a month with them? They bumped me up to 50 about a year ago.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Completely agree. Almost all phones are incremental upgrades. Or wait about 4-5 months and pick up a used one on swappa.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

ask yourself this..........

Will I get laid with a Note 2 phone? probably not.

Will the quality of my sex tape or naked pics of my girl look nice with a Note 2 phone? Definitely not.

;)

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

For something that you use everyday, it is a good idea not to skimp on quality especially if you can afford it. This also applies to other things like computers and shoes.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm in the same boat. I need a new phone but these new phones do things I just don't care about. I don't like paying for crap I don't need.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What do you get with the latest phone that you do not get on one that is one year old? Nothing I would miss for sure.

9. opticon

opticon Member

This is just my opinion. As some who deals with IT for a living I would not buy an Android phone that was not a nexus device. I am current note 3 user and my note 3 hardware is great. However Samsung gave the note 3 the finger after lollypop (android 5.0).

Most flagship phones use the same Snapdragon chips now, so to me the company who provides updates the fastest and for longest period of time wins out.

I have had to field test the Nexus 6 , Nexus 6P and Nexus 5x and they are great phones. They come unlocked and you can use them with any carrier in the US. Best of all google with continue to provide software updates for the phone.

My wife has a note 2 and the hardware is till good but Samsung has not giving it an update since Android 4.4. so she has problems trying to run certain apps.

Any way just my two cents.

10. vaioavan63

I know I would be crazy to give up my unlimited with verizon. I get 4G in areas where some of my friends barely have a bar and I can't help but giggle when they complain about their lack of coverage.

11. vaioavan63

I just checked my Verizon account in like forever. I see they've bumped me to $40 for unlimited. Still not bad.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I agree with this. I've loved having the latest software from Google and the Nexus 6P is a pretty great device in its own right. I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade to the newest Nexus this year, but I really haven't had any complaints with my 6P.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Get a Note 4 and root your phone.

The display is still one of the best in the field, as there haven't been too many advancements in that sector.

The hardware is likewise still one of the best in the field.

You still have removable battery and expandable storage. Something that most new phones take for granted and don't include.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Depends on what your definition of "worth it" is.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Agreed. My first Android phone was a LG G2. It was supposed to be stock android with updates as fast as nexus devices. It only got one OS update. Next phone was a Nexus 4 and I held onto that phone as long as I could. It still received the latest updates even two years later. Got a Nexus 6P and I like the features. It does run noticeably faster and the fingerprint lock is pretty nice too. The only downside to Nexus devices is their camera quality generally sucks compared to other phones. It's worth that sacrifice to receive the latest OS updates that keep the phone feeling new even if the hardware isn't a year or two down the road.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Since when do you have to change your plan to change your phone? Can't you just upgrade your phone on the same plan?

17. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The note 4 is a fantastic phone. The main drawback compared to new flagships is the crappy swipe fingerprint reader.

I used to think fingerprint readers were an useless gimmick. But after getting a phone with a good fingerprint reader, it's great. I used to never have screen-lock password because I hated having to enter it in every time. FP makes it super easy to have some security on your phone.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Get a ZTE Axon 7 or a OnePlus 3.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can get a refurbished/used note 5 for about 300 bucks.

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yup.

if a company with the resources of samsung can't commit to updating their own carrier unlocked devices, it doesn't bode well for other oems. i'd also go the nexus route.