1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Bill Worrell planning retirement, Craig Ackerman to take over road TV duties

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 17, 2016.

1. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

ive been saying it for years, now with this, lets have a bill worrell bobble head!!

2. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Bill was great for a long time, but it's time for him to go. I hope he stays around in some capacity. I like Clyde even though he's corny. I didn't used to like Ackerman but he has definitely grown on me looking forward to hearing him on TV. I really didn't like the nursery rhymes so I'm glad i don't have to sit through that anymore.

3. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Bill Worrell appreciation thread???

4. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

tough news. bill and the pa guy were major factors in me getting at least some entertainment value out of the joke of a season last season was. :mad:

both of them will be missed. :(

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

While I love Bill, I'm a big fan of Craig. Good for him. Matt back on the radio doing Rockets games and the PA again?! YES!
    I do like John Paul though.

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Does anyone know if MT will still be doing any hosting on ST790?

7. bmd

bmd Member

I like Matt Thomas... but why replace the PA announcer and also keep him with the organization in another capacity? I wonder what that's all about...

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

NOOOOO i loved that guy lol

"Zydrunas....Ilgauskas..."

my friends still joke about that. we were probably actually rooting for big z to make buckets so we could hear it again!

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bill is such a great guy, always polite and friendly when I talked to him at TC. Will miss him and what he brings to the table!

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn, I'm still trying to get used to not hearing Gene and Jim on the radio...and now this?

Not a big Ackerman fan (even though he's a fellow Bearkat). He screams and yells too much on the radio. It's so weird to hear him yelling and screaming about every single shot and hearing no crowd reaction whatsoever in the background.

"Harden steps up to the free throw line, dribbles a few times and.....MAKES THE FIRST FREE THROW!!!!!! THAT SHOT DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH THE BACK OF THE IRON AND HE STILL HAS ONE MORE SHOT TO GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Read this yesterday and I'll miss good old Bill. He and Calvin narrated some of the best moments of my sports life.....

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

You better believe sports MT will throw in the "monotone big guy" voice on a consistent basis, was a running joke on his old mid day show.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

The screaming should definitely be toned down, but hope he keeps the excitement like Worrell did. Usually guys on the radio go nuts.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That seemed strange to me, too.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

JP is/was great imo, way better than those guys with little kid voices like the Warriors announcer or guys with just...a normal voice.

16. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Time for a Bill Worrell retirement bobblehead!

Cuneo beat me to it.

#116 Smacktle, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

kind of happy I am not a fan of Bill at all. Bullard is at times corny and Drexler while idiotic makes me laugh because he is so idiotic.

Bill though - never was a huge fan (didnt grow up with him) so it will be nice to hear a new voice - Bill was homer to the max which at times was kind of annoying but i think his time has come. He was overly critical at times last year about players (namely harden) and rightfully so but I could imagine that didnt help his cause.

To me it sounds like the team is completely trying to re-identify themselves I like Craig

I am going to miss Jon Paul though I really like his PA voice

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly one of the few bright spots of last year's disastrous season was Bill having the balls to tell it like it is and actually call people out. Most of us were thinking it anyway.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I wonder if this is a cost cutting move by Les.

20. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Bill called one of Mike Tyson's first professional fights! GL with retirement we needed some fresh air!