1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clinton resorting to McCarthyism like Bush I

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 11, 2016.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Only Deckard is old enough perhaps to remember this, but now that I read it I remember Bush I and the idea that they were using the State Dept to try to find out dirt on Bill Clinton Interesting read from the past.

Hillary Clinton’s Turn to McCarthyism

August 9, 2016

Exclusive: Hillary Clinton’s campaign is engaging in over-the-top Russia-bashing and guilt-by-association tying Donald Trump to the Kremlin, a McCarthyism that previously has been used on Democrats, including Bill Clinton, writes Robert Parry.

By Robert Parry

The irony of Hillary Clinton’s campaign impugning the patriotism of Donald Trump and others who object to a new Cold War with Russia is that President George H.W. Bush employed similar smear tactics against Bill Clinton in 1992 by suggesting that the Arkansas governor was a Kremlin mole.

Back then, Bill Clinton countered that smear by accusing the elder President Bush of stooping to tactics reminiscent of Sen. Joe McCarthy, the infamous Red-baiter from the 1950s. But today’s Democrats apparently feel little shame in whipping up an anti-Russian hysteria and then using it to discredit Trump and other Americans who won’t join this latest “group think.”

Sen. Joseph McCarthy, R-Wisconsin, who led the "Red Scare" hearings of the 1950s.

Sen. Joseph McCarthy, R-Wisconsin, who led the “Red Scare” hearings of the 1950s.

As the 1992 campaign entered its final weeks, Bush – a much more ruthless political operative than his elder-statesman image of today would suggest – unleashed his subordinates to dig up whatever dirt they could to impugn Bill Clinton’s loyalty to his country.

Some of Bush’s political appointees rifled through Clinton’s passport file looking for an apocryphal letter from his student days in which Clinton supposedly sought to renounce his citizenship. They also looked for derogatory information about his student trips to the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia.

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/08/09/hillary-clintons-turn-to-mccarthyism/

1 person likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you think what Bush I did to Clinton or what Clinton is doing to Trump is McCarthyism then you have no idea what McCarthy did.

The worst thing done to Clinton was that fake tape they made of him.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I will start getting worried when HRC commences Congressional hearings to root out pro-Russian traitors.

Oh wait, Congress is too busy chasing Benghazi, email and other Clinton crap.

4. Nook

Nook Member

What a ****ty article without any real substance.

5. adoo

adoo Member

u can't take the facts

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Are you still feeling hurt that you would want a president Trump? :confused:

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thanks glynch - I rarely peruse Putin-aligned astroturf sites. who write on interesting topics like how Russian backed paramilitaries didn't actually shoot down MH17 over the Ukraine and it was all a big fix job.

What age were you when you tripped on the birkenstock and lost your damned mind, boy?

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What are the facts?

And is it so damn hard to type 2 more letters to make a complete word?

9. underoverup

underoverup Member

Don't forget the broken hip which started the decline.

10. glynch

Sam, I guess I mistakenly thought you had escaped the typical neo-confederate upbringing of many a white boy in Houston. Maybe it was just a rebellious college phase you went through for a couple of years?

As an aside you were non responsive wrt to whether Bush I should have used the State Dept to try to find dirt on Bill Clinton or whether Hillary and the neo-cons are going beyond the facts in trying to smear Trump as some sort of commie sympathizer or Russian agent.

I really think there is enough character flaws and real dirt to use against Trump without resorting to hysterical anti-Russkie/commie? crap.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oh Clinton plays as hardball as hardball gets.

Americans are so weird: they want to be #1 ass kickers of the entire world, stomping ISIS and outmaneuvering Putin, but they turn to a bunch of schoolmarms about character issues. "Bill jizzed on a dress!" "Hillary told a LIE!" Yeah, and we machine gunned a wedding party!

glynch this is not aimed at you. I'm saying, Americans, you want a Clint Eastwood-Unforgiven president: quit being such damn polyannas. All these top leaders tell lies every damn day, and the amount of dirt under the American rug can only be matched by Russia or China. Hillary Clinton is a better match for Putin than Trump is. Did anyone notice how she is kicking the **** out of Donald Trump? He is out of his depth. Hillary IS the big boys.

12. glynch

Obviously this is a very minor lie compared to the type of lies the Clintons and our presidents frequently do, including to those leading to hundreds of thousands of brutal deaths.

I know, Sadam Hussein, Qadafi, etc. are no better, but should that be our standard.

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

at first glance i thought this was a rocketslegend thread. then it dawned on me that he probably wouldn't use the word "McCarthyism".

14. Buck Turgidson

This needs to be re-quoted after approx. 76.4% of all glynch posts.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah, well, you can't just come out and say "We need an excuse to take another trillion tax dollars from the general public and transfer it to the MIC." There are too many people and not enough resources anyway, right? We are already in the end game.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I could not continue reading the post after this low blow.

17. glynch

We really should find some way to take the profit motive out of war. Maybe require these companies to provide the arms at cost plus 1% for ongoing wars. Then they could unleash their lobbyists to speak out against needless wars.

For the recipient countries of our "aid" doesn't do much as refugees living in tents don't contribute much to the GDP. Hey we do create some local millionaires and drive up the price of nicer real estate in places like Kabul till we pull out.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I remember it, glynch, but I just don't see the comparison. I could see a valid McCarthy/Trump comparison easily enough, though. Yeah, "they" were trying to make something out of Bill's trips behind the Iron Curtain. The attempt collapsed due to it's stupidity. No one was dumb enough to believe it. I'm still at a loss to understand how Trump could have gotten several million "Republicans" to vote for him. It's bizarre. That there are people trying to defend the man and using tortured explanations for the crap that pours out of Trump's mouth is somewhere beyond bizarre. It's like a really bad science fiction novel. You read the plot and go, "Oh, give me a ****ing break!"

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Only 76.4%??????

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just want to call this one in advance too:

Everyone who supported Bernie, even secretly, will be rooted out. Leftists have brought the fight home. The jihadi narrative is thin these days, only people over 50 are really falling for it with any significance.

The new "other" is the left starting to show some signs of life again after being annihilated by the gov't some decades ago. That's the new frontier for HRC and the right, who will make very good friends incidentally.