1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] "Cool" Cities for Young Professionals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hello guys, I've basically been in Texas my whole life and may end up anywhere in the US next year. I'd like to know the pros and cons for some cities and whether they'd be a good fit for young professionals (early 30s). I'm just overwhelmed by the vast number of options and don't really know where to start. I'm in DC currently and really like the vibe, but I'm looking for other cities as well.

Some of the factors I'm considering: weather (don't like the snow), ease of commute, walkable neighborhoods, nightlife, "lots of things to do" (attractions, festivals, etc), younger population, etc. I understand it will probably snow anywhere in the NE, but I'm okay with it if everything else is great.

Here are the list of cities that I may be applying to if anyone has any comments or advice. The bolded ones are the cities I'd like advice/comments on the most.

Atlanta
    Baltimore
    Boston

Chapel Hill/Durham
    Charleston, SC
    Charlotte
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    Columbus, Ohio
    DC
    Detroit
    Indianapolis
    Kansas City
    Lexington/Louisville
    Miami
    Minneapolis
    Nashville
    NYC/Brooklyn/Flushing
    Orlando
    Philly
    Pittsburgh

Phoenix
    Portland, OR
    Raleigh
    Richmond, VA
    Rochester, MN
    Seattle
    St. Louis
    Tampa

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Everybody's opinion is likely to vary here.

I've spent time in the Northeast, and just don't want to ever live there. visit is fine, just as a child of Texas, I prefer west to east.

So Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc... not my favorite.

I think Boston is a step above those, as I just prefer its locale relative to being in quintessential New England, more young people .... but all of those are cold places.

Charlotte is kind of just a city. which isn't negative. it's like Houston in that way. It' s big city, so lots of big city things to do, and relatively affordable. I prefer Raleigh to Charlotte, especially since Raleigh includes the whole Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle.

1 person likes this.
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'd imagine most big cities, i.e. all of the ones you listed, have plenty of stuff to do for young professionals. Pretty much every city has a hip bar area for the young people to hang out in.

I'd focus on weather and cost of living if I were you. Those are the two reasons I hear cited most for why young professionals move.

If I could pick anywhere in the country, personally I'd live in Seattle. Easily my favorite city, and I think it checks a bunch of your boxes. Although it is pretty rainy.

1 person likes this.
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

It's tough to top DC (no bias). Especially compared to Baltimore/Philly. I actually think Pittsburgh is a little underrated, so I'd say it's a good "dark horse" for you to consider. Boston is almost certainly the most impressive city of the one's you listed, but probably depends on where you can afford to live (similar to DC).

I don't know enough about NC cities, but I've always liked the state. Just seems like a good central location for traveling, affordable, and has beaches and mountains nearby if you're into the outdoors.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Seattle has the best weather honestly out of the cities you listed. Plus it checks all of your boxes.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Why not Los Angeles? I just moved here from Houston in January and it's better than I expected. LA is spread out but if you're in the basin part of the city, it's pretty walkable and there is plenty of transit (and transit expansions too). The commute would be about the only thing that could be an issue but that depends on where you work and live.

You said you don't want the cold but out of the cities you bolded, I'd go with NYC. It's like a less expensive NYC, especially in the Center City area.

7. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Austin
    San Diego
    Seattle
    Boston
    Denver

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Have you even been to Seattle for more than a week in during the summer? Seattle is certainly not known for its weather.

OP, your list pretty much reads "Anywhere in the continental US".

Philly and Pittsburg has never sounded attractive to me for a visit, much less living there.

If you dislike snow, Baltimore and Boston are not good choices at all. Most other cities will offer the same w/out that misery.

Charlotte is a great city to raise a family. I used to fly out of there a lot. Low crime, low cost of living, temperate weather, all the basic amenities. Easy to get around (if you have a car). For a single person looking for a night life, you'd find this city pretty boring.

I've always like Raleigh. Its not big, but much more suitable for a young person.

If you like hot and being on the water, Orlando and Tampa would be great.

Seattle offers everything you mentioned... except ample sunshine. Summers are awesome there.

9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Think it may be a typo...which city are you referring to here?

LA isn't on the list b/c I've been there a few times and have seen the area. It's also difficult to get a residency there as most people want to be in southern california and Texas applicants don't get much love there usually. It would definitely be a nice spot tough!

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

You're right bud. My specialty is pretty competitive, so I'm applying to many places in the US. I'm just looking for get the list down a bit. There are 170 different places to apply to and I'm looking at applying to 40-60. Just started listing random cities to see if anyone has lived there and whether they are cool places.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Early 30s is old man. Time to move to the burbs.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

charlotte is cool.....lots of nature closeby, mild weather, bball friendly, BBQ

otherwise if you can stand the winters, boston is great

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I live an hour and a half from Cleveland and two hours from Pittsburgh.

Both are up and coming cities. Kind of on the rebound. Cleveland, I think has a bit more snow that Pittsburgh, and is probably a bit colder and windier. I like Cleveland, and am not as experienced with Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has more hills, but may be more walkable. Both are decent, though.

Medically, you're going to make less than elsewhere in the country, but cost of living is fairly low (near Houston, maybe slightly higher).

Things to do in both cities, but more in Pittsburgh. Young professionals are flocking there.

Honestly, though if it weren't for my wife having family in the ararea, I'd relocate to a better climate. I turn 29 Thursday, so we're in the same age range, and we are both in the medical field, but not doctors (nurse and radiation therapist). If it were me, I'd probably choose between climates more similar to Texas, such as Austin, Phoenix, Tampa/Orlando, or something more moderate like Tennessee or Oregon/Washington.

Let me know if you have more questions about either.

#13 Two Sandwiches, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I've spent quite a bit of time in Baltimore City recently. I take it you're applying to Hopkins, which is top notch.

Baltimore isn't the easiest city to live in, although it is quite charming (no pun intended, "Charm City"). It's odd that it's so close, geographically, to DC because the two cities are worlds apart, culturally. The Baltimore accent is probably the most endearing accent in the country.

Some really great restaurants, but the nightlife is pretty basic - although there are a few gems.

Since you're already in DC, why not visit for a weekend? In terms of housing, I love the architecture in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seattle. If I were single and had no ties, I think I'd move there in a heartbeat. Summer is awesome. Winter is Texas like...but if you want snow, it's 30 minutes away. It's a university town but with a major city feel. Plenty to do in the city and out. Close to Portland, Vancouver, etc. A little pricey but there appears to be plenty of work. Only thing I think it's missing is food. Restaurant scene is still in the beginning stages. No where near on the level of Houston or Austin...but weed is legal so it might not matter.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On the drive from LA to Houston I believe I saw a K Mart that shared a parking lot with a Walmart. I think it was in New Mexico.

That's where you need to go.

1 person likes this.
  17. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

18. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

That's great to hear about Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I do like cities that are warmer, but there are just so many places in the midwest and east coast that I'm basically forced to pick a few of those cities.

Isn't phoenix on a whole new level from the Texas heat though? I mean Texas is pretty bad, but Phoenix is sometimes in the 110s right? That's just way too hot.

19. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

No time during audition rotations. I'll be in Baltimore actually in a couple months, but need to apply a couple weeks before that. I've spoken to a few people that lived there, but they all said to be careful around Hopkin's cause it's a dangerous area.

DC is pretty awesome. Just hoping Baltimore is pretty cool as well.

#19 Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not as much humidity.

For instance, 110 in Vegas, to me, is comparable to like 85 in the Great Lakes area.