1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Traffic Thread: Washington Westcott Roundabout

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

So this morning, I'm headed to work. I-10 is typically a b**** to get into downtown when you're coming in from the west side. I usually take Memorial into downtown.

So my story is I am coming down south on Westcott. I am in the left lane approaching the two lane drive of Westcott. The other driver is on the right hand lane of Westcott. We both approach the roundabout. This driver decides he wants to go down Washington. I am trying to continue down Westcott. We clip each other slightly. No metal damage, just paint damage. He and his chunk of a girl decides to come and out and say it was my fault, even though the lane is clearly marked. Left hand lane has the option of going down Washington or going down Westcott, while the right hand land continues down Westcott.

Let's get back to this girl. She decides she wants to come out of her passenger side and tell me to learn how to drive a roundabout. Then she turns around and tries to point out cars trying to do what they did. Not one car did that. All the cars on the right hand side were going down Westcott.

We didn't exchange information, but I know where he works. He makes ham and cheese sandwiches at a restaurant a few feet down on Washington. A quick google search says his initials are IV to give you guys a hint. I'm sure some of you guys post here know him.

Let me ask you guys this.

Who's fault is it? Mine or the other driver.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Looks like you were in the right....

If image doesn't show: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.770...4!1sGN61zkh85RsnNwuNm_ZJWA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1470424915534!6m8!1m7!1sGN61zkh85RsnNwuNm_ZJWA!2m2!1d29.7708726!2d-95.4236184!3f83.9614956239561!4f-16.554207995301183!5f0.4000000000000002" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

It appears that he was in the wrong. However, in the future, I would advise you to be in the right hand lane if you want to stay on Westcott at the roundabout. As you found out today, not everyone can understand traffic signs and whatnot. The roundabout is confusing to a lot Houstonians. So, you were right, he was wrong, be aware this is a confusing intersection to some and plan accordingly.

Just my opinion.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I drive this roundabout a few times a week as I live right there. Right hand lane is Westcott, left is for Washington and/or Westcott (I always stay in the right hand lane though if I'm heading down Westcott to Memorial because of stuff like this as so many get so confused at a roundabout). He was in the wrong and it's idiotic for him to even think he was right if he's in the right hand lane. I honestly cannot stand that roundabout. I can't count the number of times I've seen minor wrecks or close to being involved in many due to drivers who get completely confused. The ones who just sit at the stop signs...it makes my knuckles red.

For the life of me I can't think of a sandwich shop right there though besides a ham and cheese Kolache at Shipleys?

1 person likes this.
  5. marky :)

marky :) Member

Only thing I can think of that could possibly have ham and cheese sandwiches in his description is Benjys lol. And i dont even think they make those.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Lol. Sorry. I was just trolling his fine eating establishment.

But yeah, I'm more sour about his wife telling me to "Google roundabout," and then proceeding to turn around to show me how cars are doing it when clearly cars on the right hand side were coming down Westcott.

I did some google searching (because his wife told me to) and saw many different articles about that particular section. The roundabout looks wide because of vehicles like 18 wheelers and fire trucks.

And I'm sure many of you guys eat there or probably know this guy.

7. marky :)

I'm like 20% sure now you're talking about Les Grival lol.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That's not a few feet away Kam! I was thinking Benjy's or Bluefish and wasted all of that 10 minutes Googling.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It is not les grival

I don't want to say the name of the restaurant. But it's the first restaurant on your left on Washington. Not the Italian joint. The American cuisine that serves a good looking brunch. Also has one in west u

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im pretty sure they dont serve ham and cheese sandwiches

11. prohibido

prohibido Member

I had no idea Candelari's served brunch. Huh.

12. marky :)

I'll go with my first guess then since he said its not the Italian place and Benjy's does brunch lol.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So, what are you doing to do about it now? And yes, that roundabout has many idiots driving it. And before that, way to many wrong side of the road drivers.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I just wanted to see who was in the wrong and in the right. I need to go eat there for brunch now.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's a mom and pop Mexican place. What's your beef with them - they don't sell sandwiches?

16. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I hate that roundabout and it needs to go.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The pictures it looks like you are right but this article makes it sound like you were both wrong.

Confusion at roundabout has drivers going in circles

So he is saying you should have been in the right lane and the other guy should have been in the left lane. Not that the left lane has an option.

18. droxford

droxford Member

I drive this roundabout every day. I can confirm what everyone else has said: OP was in the right: the left lane is for Washington or Westcott; The right lane is for Westcott only.

The problem is in the design of the roundabout. They should've built the roundabout such that all of the entrances and exits are identical. As stated in the article that Bandwagoner just posted:

Taffic circles are much better than traffic-lights; Houston is just too inexperienced and inept to build a good traffic circle.

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Ive seen so many close calls in that roundabout. Im just happy they filled in some of those nasty holes where bricks had gone missing.