1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"I have no idea whether we'll find out who the leaker is," Bush told reporters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Oct 8, 2003.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think it better said that Bush is concerned about leaks from Congress.

I find it curious that Bush will not be surprised that the leaker remains anonymous. I strongly suspect that one of the two leakers did so on a phone. Novak's phone records along with those of the other handful of journalists should reveal all. Or will they? The leaker has nothing to gain from hiding, waiting to be exposed. Not unless, he knows that he will never be caught.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Where's deep throat when you need him/her?

:D

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

A coy little chat with Dana Priest, the Post reporter who's worked on the story. She ends it with a cryptic remark...

Dana Priest: I'm so sorry that I couldn't answer more questions, there are so many---most about the leak investigation. One thing is certain, the story will have changed by next week--so "see" you then. Best, Dana

Full chat here...

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/03/r_nation_loebpriest100803.htm

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i just got back to my desk from taking a leak...does that count?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

.. . or at least acting like her has some . . . . eh?

Rocket River

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

OOH. Nice catch rimrocker.

BTW, do you just read all day? Could it be...'Condor'? :)

7. rimrocker

More than I should on some. I'm also a decent task manager and my work goes in fits and starts. In that vein, I should miss most of next week as I'm going out to work some fires in California.

8. rimrocker

9. treeman

treeman Member

Perhaps he said it because historically speaking, leakers are almost never caught? Hmm, maybe...

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Perhaps he said it because historically speaking, leakers are almost never caught? Hmm, maybe...

Come on , Tree, stop playing dumb.

This guy or guy called at least six newpaper reporters who have already admitted it. It isn't some abstract case.

11. treeman

treeman Member

Playing dumb? It is a fact that leakers are almost never caught. Maybe once in a couple of decades will they actually catch one.

It is also a fact that there may be multiple leaks, and it is also a fact that apparently quite a few people in Washington knew Wilson and his wife, and what she did for a living, so it may also be a fact that they will not be able to pin down exactly where it came from.

It is also a fact that unlike past Presidents, this one will not obstruct the investigation. This one actually realizes the value of not having leakers and liars in the White House.

It is also a fact that leakers tend to be lower-level officials who seldom tell their bosses that they are breaking the law.

That said, they may well find out who the leaker was, and I have no problem with that. I hope they do.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up as far as somehow implicating the President in this. It is obvious that you guys want to see this "scandal" bring the Prez down, but I just don't see that happening. I doubt you'll even get a Rove out of it.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Methinks you need to look up the word "fact" in the dictionary.

#32 No Worries, Oct 9, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like how we keep calling the person a leaker. The person who did it is a felon with access to high level secret information, and a willingness to break the law and talk about that information.

A leaker makes him sound like someone who gave away details of political fundraiser that was supposed to be a secret. The person we are talking about is a criminal. I think it's important that we find this person, because I don't like the idea that there might be someone in the Whitehouse with access to national secrets willing to spill the beans on them. It's a dangerous problem.

14. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

He's making another of his speeches to military personel. This is beginning to creep me out; honestly, when was the last time he made a speech where the applause wasn't guaranteed every time he paused? Does he think that people watching don't notice that he only speaks to audiences that always cheer every President? Maybe I'm the naive one, and people do fall for this...but it creeps me out. Sorry if I slightly got off topic...

#34 MacBeth, Oct 9, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  15. rimrocker

Agreed. This is not some report that has been routed up through the bureaucracy with many contributors and many eyes... this is an extremely secret bit of info for which the CIA and presumably the Whitehouse have records that detail any individual's access. Check the folks who have the info, trace their actions around the time of the Wilson report and Novak column, and you should be able to figure out how the info got out of the CIA. If it went to folks who are not cleared to see that type of info before going to Novak, then we have yet another issue about how the Administration handles national security info.

16. Cohen

Be safe.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah, too bad it took him 3 months and a bunch of negative press, and an apparent mutiny inside the CIA to make him come to that realization. Otherwise, he was apparently cool with it.

18. rimrocker

Thanks Cohen... it's a bunch of little ones on the western flank of the Sierras... we need to button em' up before the foehn winds (Santa Anas) start screaming down out of the Great Basin.

So much material, so little time. And I'm on the ignore list. Well, someone needs to save these statements so that 6 months from now we can all marvel at these prescient proclamations.

NOC...

19. Cohen

Ah...Santa Ana time...I remember those devil winds.

Hated'm.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Another good luck from here, rimrocker.

I believe Bush when he says, "I have no idea... ".
    A more accurate statement from him would be, "I don't have a clue."