1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Airdough

Airdough Member

Exactly, just wanted them to open up more space by trading at least Neshek as well. They must feel certain at their current production that they'll turn down the QO whereas they must have felt Feldman would have accepted.

So hope that Fister and Neshek keep producing so the Astros can pick up extra picks next draft (and increase their pool money to spend). They'll need them without being able to jump back into the international fray for two years.

2. conquistador#11

I don't like it, bill.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Was this the time for the Astros to go all in by trading away top prospects? I think the Astros view their Cuban superstar, and #1 prospect Bregman as their major additions for the stretch run.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Soooooooooooooo many things on the list well ahead of "no trades made on deadline day" that would make for the worst day ever. Some of us have more perspective on such things, I guess.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Houston is gonna make the playoffs too." - Tim Kurkjian
    Bowden also has Houston in his top 5.

Cleveland
    Texas
    Toronto
    Baltimore
    Boston
    Detroit
    Houston

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How yall dont have that child on ignore yet, is beyond me...

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I can't comprehend this. "Play with the big boys" ? So, making a conscious decisions on risk/reward and on the value of your prospects indicates that you're not on par with whoever these big boys are?

8. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I feel like we conceded the Division with our lack of moves and the Rangers additions. I know their pitching depth isn't great, but I don't trust our guys against their new stacked lineup.

Here is to hoping that Bregman and Gurriel add what we need. Couple those two with the return of Valbuena and Marwin, and maybe a revamped Reed and I'll take our chances.

9. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

I'd like to know if you complained about the Astros giving up too much last year? Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

10. conquistador#11

the good news is without feldman, gogo gone and rasmus not being resigned for 15 mil, that will clear up like a trillion dollars to buy some margaritas and professional hitters at the winter meetings.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Well.... the Rangers needed to strengthen their bullpen.... they got a guy under long term team control, who is 27/28 in save opportunities this year, with an era around 2. He is also under long term team control.

The Rangers needed someone to replace Fielder's bat in the line up...... they got Beltran and his 900 OPS that can play 1st, the outfield and DH.

The Rangers wanted to upgrade at catcher.... they got one of the top handful of catchers in baseball for this year and next.

The Rangers lost 3-4 of their best 10-12 prospects. However they are SUBSTANTIALLY better now on paper.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, yeah of course, but when he said that, Im pretty sure it was baseball related. If you want to relate real life situations to it, of course the perspective is going to change. Lighten up...

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Good call

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Once <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rangers?src=hash">#Rangers</a> confirm Jonathan Lucroy trade, they will have traded first-round picks from 2012 (Brinson), 2014 (Ortiz), 2015 (Tate) today.</p>&mdash; Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffWilson_FWST/status/760202838219685888">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. kaleidosky

Agree--wish Neshek had been traded. RP's don't get qualifying offers as far as i know...salary makes no sense.

Not sure Feldman would've gotten a QO either, even if RP's did get them. You don't just offer QO's to whoever does well. Works differently than comp pick system from before.

16. kaleidosky

Yes-this is why you have a deep system. Cash in when it makes the most sense. The Rangers found it and did it.

I think the biggest difference is the Rangers didn't need the top-of-rotation arm. They already have 1-2 of them. Thus, going all in really does make them favorites. If the Astros pursued the same strategy, they'd be going all in without the arms up there...potentially screwing themselves short- and long-term.

If the Astros could've acquired Sale, I think you would've seen them go all in in a similar way, trying to fill the remaining holes and win now.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Geez.. Rangers just killed us on the trade deadline... I'm getting pessimistic about catching them

18. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know who else got better? The Indians. On top of already being the team to beat in the AL due to their rotation, they added the best closer in the game and some outfield help.

I'll say it again, but I am all for the Rangers giving up most of their top prospects for the privilege of losing to the Indians in playoffs.

19. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Can't just sit and hope the prospects pan out and totally depend on prospects to build a team. This team needed at the very least another vet bat and they allowed the more aggressive Rangers organization get two good vet bats and they're already ahead of us 6 games. The Astros just come off as cheap. Like I've said I'm not advocating for them depleting their farm but prospects don't always pan out. Disappointing trade deadline to me. We'll see if their gamble and staying pat will result in anything. Rangers and other organizations are seizing the moment though, that's what I mean by "big boys", not afraid to spend and put their teams in more competitive positions.

20. Nook

Nook Member

With the bullpen woes in the second half last season, and with guys like Feliz and Divinski being relatively inexperienced out of the pen; I don't mind keeping Neshek.

There may come a point where they have to turn to him consistently in the 7-8th inning.

My read on the whole trading deadline was that the Astros believed they needed an elite starting pitcher in order to be willing to "go all in" like the Rangers did. Had the Astros managed to make a deal for Sale or another #1 starter; I believe they probably would have been willing to pay the price for Lucroy or Beltran.

As it is, there is no doubt that LuCroy or Beltran would help the Astros quite a bit offensively, but would it matter without the horses at the top of the rotation?

1 person likes this.