1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Khizr Khan speech at DNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Truth hurts, huh?

2. no.3 for no.1

no.3 for no.1 Member

Fall down some stairs.

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

[​IMG]

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Is a Muslim. Has Muslim son who died serving our country. Hears Trump attack all Muslims. Criticizes Trump.

1 person likes this.
  5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Amazing how this is still making headlines. Literally any of the other republican candidates would have initially given a diplomatic response and squashed this thing on day 1.

Where are his advisors? Does the party actually want him to make an ass of himself and lose?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was viciously attacked by Mr. Khan at the Democratic Convention. Am I not allowed to respond? Hillary voted for the Iraq war, not me!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/759743648573435905">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is revealing about Trump:

1. He doesn't get that the problem isn't whether he has the right to respond, it's that the way he responded-- by questioning whether Mrs. Khan was not allowed to speak because of Islam and not showing any empathy for grieving parents-- is both offensive and stupid.

2. The tweet is very much consistent with the kind of persecution complex that Trump's white nationalist base voters have about life in general. It feels like the "[insert minority group] does this, so why can't we do it?" mentality.

3. Leaving aside the human decency question, Trump's handling of this interaction as a matter of running a campaign is just completely off. You got 100 days left in the campaign and you are spending 4 days and counting fighting with a military family instead of talking about your own agenda or attacking Hillary Clinton?

The way to handle this is to show that you understand the parents' grief, recognize the family's sacrifice and maybe explain your policy position. This is what GWB did with Cindy Sheehan and what Clinton is doing with a couple of the Benghazi families. You don't attack the family, EVER, even f they are attacking you.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On Fox News Sunday, Clinton was asked to respond to the RNC speech of Pat Smith, a grieving parent much like Khan. <a href="https://t.co/SQQXTVVzIH">pic.twitter.com/SQQXTVVzIH</a></p>&mdash; Tamara Keith (@tamarakeithNPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/759775024828051456">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

1 person likes this.
  7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

In Russia I would guess.

8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Just curious, when did Republicans start touting out that the Iraq War was a mistake? Trump comments are fine when it comes the war because sure he was not into politics and off handed comment on the Stern show should not be viewed as the same level as Clinton who was involved in the decision. His lying about there are many stories for his outcry against the war seems like more scurried comments to get away from questions. But the vote to invade the country was largely agreed on by Republicans. I just am at awe by people just to rewrite history.

9. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

When they realized they could place blame on Hillary Clinton for voting for it. I mean, they can't blame Trump; he didn't vote for the war. He was busy making sacrifices and creating thousands of jobs.

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Hillary Clinton went up to a grieving mother lied to her face. I didn't see any liberals here b****ed about that. I'm exposing your double standard.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

She wrote a f***ing op-ed

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ghazala Khan: &quot;Donald Trump has children whom he loves. Does he really need to wonder why I did not speak?&quot; <a href="https://t.co/SB6ZMNJDNt">https://t.co/SB6ZMNJDNt</a></p>&mdash; Washington Post (@washingtonpost) <a href="https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/759760803507671040">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol the situations aren't even closely similar. It's not a lie if she thought she was telling the truth.

Trump didn't lie...instead he just insulted them. Classy.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We know for a fact that she didn't think she was telling the truth. She chose to push a knowingly false narrative instead of telling them the truth. It doesn't make what Trump did any better, but making up BS to defend Hillary just makes you lose credibility.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're going to have to prove that...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ng-patricia-smiths-claims-about-clinton-and-/

So no, we do not know for a fact.
    Don't do this false equivalence crap Bobby. You know what Hilary did was minor and what Trump did was unthinkable for a GOP candidate.

1 person likes this.
  15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

On the same night as the attack ,she emailed her daughter and told her it was an al-qaeda attack.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Given that she emailed her daughter and told her the truth before she talked to those families, we DO know for a fact that she was intentionally lying.

Also, I'm not defending Trump, so don't think that. Honestly I'm probably more anti-Trump than you are.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know what Clinton did not do? Insult the parents of the dead, question their religion, accuse them of being plants by the other campaign or get into a fight with them because they "attacked" her. They said she told them about a video. She (and other families in attendance) say other wise. She says she understands their grief and empathize with their loss but disagree with their version of the events.

I don't know what she said to the families or what the families remember hearing. But there is no equivalence between her response to grieving families who spoke out against her and Trump's-- and this is something that all but the devoted Trump supporters and dedicated Hillary haters can see.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some people would consider it insulting if you pushed a knowingly false political narrative when talking to the parents of the recently deceased instead of telling them the truth which you already knew at the time. Some would consider that more insulting than responding to a hit speech they gave on national TV where they exploited the loss of their child for political reasons.

Either way, IMO both candidates are scumbags so there's no winner here.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No we do not, because we not know the conversations she had with those families.

Read the link, it talks about this as well...

I'm not calling Patricia Smith a liar either, just that I don't claim to know. If you are going to say that she's telling the truth then what about the other families that contradict that? Maybe they were all right and truthful, that Clinton told them different things for whatever reason, I don't claim to know. I do know though that Clinton was far more respectful towards their family.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you kind of are. The family says that she told them the same lie that she was telling the rest of the American people on TV and the rest of the Obama administration was pushing and you are implying that they made it up.

Maybe the family is lying and Hillary actually told them the truth while lying to everyone else on TV, I guess there's no way to know for sure but we do KNOW for a fact that they NEVER actually believed that the terrorist attack had ANYTHING to do with a YouTube video.