1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Khizr Khan speech at DNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I didn't feel anything except the pain,&quot; said Ghazala Khan about Trump's insinuations. <br><br>Let that sink in. <a href="https://t.co/OME79YMeuH">pic.twitter.com/OME79YMeuH</a></p>&mdash; Daniel Burke (@BurkeCNN) <a href="https://twitter.com/BurkeCNN/status/759587862417252353">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In email statement, Trump keeps insisting he was wronged by Khizr Khan. No walkback of comments on Ghazala Khan &gt; <a href="https://t.co/hgcJWG1LOx">pic.twitter.com/hgcJWG1LOx</a></p>&mdash; Alex Burns (@alexburnsNYT) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/759580229065175041">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

"Further, Hillary Clinton should be held accountable for her central role in destabilizing the Middle East. She voted to send the United States to war against Iraq, helped lead the disastrous withdrawal of American troops years later that created the vacuum allowing the rise of ISIS, and has never met a regime change she didn’t like (which have all been disasters) – not to mention her invasion of Libya and her abandonment of American personnel in Benghazi. The loss of these lives in Libya is directly traceable to Clinton, but their families' testimonials were rejected by the media.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sure they expected him to say something stupid and be caught on a bait even he'd be going too far with his standards...but how stupid can this dumbass be?

You don't attack fallen veterans or their families. Not thanking them for their service is bad enough. Cuban was right, maybe trump just got infinitely stupider.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

But he did thank them and called his kid a hero.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You missed CML who hasn't been around in a few days to call everyone "typical liberals" while rambling on about "naivety" and "lack of education."

Also, Cohete Rojo who is apparently an expert in everything.

6. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Donald Trump has given his first response to Khizr Khan, the father of a Muslim American soldier who died to protect his unit. Khan addressed the Democratic national convention this week, rebuking Trump as unpatriotic and selfish as he did so.

Fallen Muslim American soldier's father scolds Trump: 'have you even read the constitution?'

In an interview with the New York Times opinion writer Maureen Dowd, Trump’s only comment was: “I’d like to hear his wife say something.”

The Republican nominee also gave an interview with ABC, in which he suggested that Hillary Clinton’s speechwriters scripted Khan’s speech, which Khan has said he wrote with his wife, Ghazala Khan.

“If you look at his wife, she was standing there,” Trump said. “She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me.”

In a statement later on Saturday, Clinton said: “This is a time for all Americans to stand with the Khans, and with all the families whose children have died in service to our country.”

Making no mention of Trump, the former secretary of state said she was moved by the way Ghazala Khan spoke about her son, who Clinton said represents “the best of America”.

Clinton is on a three-day bus tour through Pennsylvania and Ohio with her running mate Tim Kaine. During a stop at a wire product manufacturer Johnstown, Pennsylvania, she told a roomful of union workers that Clinton said she was sorry for the current state of political discourse in America.

“We’re living in a time of really hot politics. People say all kinds of things – hateful things, insulting things,” she said. “I’m sorry about that.”

Later in her remarks, Clinton defended retired four-star Gen John Allen, who Trump said “failed” in the fight against Isis.

“Gen Allen is a distinguished marine, a hero and a patriot,” she told the crowd. “Donald Trump called him a failed general. Why? Because he does not believe Donald Trump should be commander-in-chief. Well, I’d say that proves it. Our commander-in-chief shouldn’t insult and deride our generals, retired or otherwise.”

On Thursday, Khan stunned a national audience with a speech directly confronting Trump, who has called for a ban on Muslims entering the US. At the climax of the speech, Khan, a Harvard-educated lawyer, pulled a small constitution from his jacket pocket and held it above his head.

“Have you even read the United States constitution?” he asked of Trump.

“Have you ever been to Arlington cemetery? Go look at the graves of the brave patriots who died defending America – you will see all faiths, genders and ethnicities. You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Khan also noted that Trump’s proposals, which include a return to torture and the killing of families whose relatives are suspected of terrorism, would violate basic principles of the constitution. The immigration ban would have prevented his family from settling in the US, he said, and his son from joining the army.

That was “only half” of the speech, Khan said on Friday night on MSNBC’s The Last Word. “The other half is addressed to Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell –what a patriot, decent human being, what a leader he is – and then Paul Ryan, the speaker of the House.

“But isn’t this the time to repudiate Trump? What he has said, what he has threatened to do – this is moral imperative for both leaders to say to him: ‘Enough.’ You are about to sink the ship of the patriot Republicans.”

On Saturday, a spokeswoman for Ryan’s office said: “The speaker has made clear many times that he rejects this idea, and himself has talked about how Muslim Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.”

But neither McConnell and Ryan, despite criticism of Trump’s comments, have rescinded their endorsements of him, resulting in an awkward and often tense alliance. Ryan has called some of his remarks “textbook racism” and McConnell has said he disagrees with some of the candidate’s statements.

Khan praised the Republican party even as he warned of the consequences of shortsighted politics. “Republicans are as patriotic as Democrats are,” he said. “They are half of the goodness of this beautiful country. Half of this political process the rest of the world watches enviously, learns from it.”

Trump represented a threat to that democracy, Khan said. “If your candidate wins, and he governs the way he has campaigned, my country, this country, will have constitutional crises that [have] never before [happened] in the history of the country.”

“There comes a time in the history of a nation when an ethical, moral stand has to be taken, regardless of the political response,” he concluded. “The only reason they’re not repudiating his behavior, his threat to our democracy, our decency, our foundation is just because of political consequences.”

Ghazala Khan stood at her husband’s side at the convention, and during the interview on Friday explained that she could hardly bear the emotions of grief that she felt during the tribute for her late son, Humayun, who was posthumously awarded a bronze star and purple heart for his heroism in Iraq, where he died in 2004.

She said she felt “very nervous, because I cannot see my son’s picture – I cannot even come in the room where his pictures are”.

“So when I saw the picture on my back,” she said, referring to the large photograph of her son projected over the stage, “I couldn’t take it, and I controlled myself at that time. So it is very hard.”

Her husband said he could not have carried out the speech without his wife’s help, as “coach” and partner.

“I am much weaker than she is in such matters,” he said. “Forty years of marriage [have] brought us in a position where we are a strength for one another, so her being there was the strength so that I could hold my composure.”

Nonetheless, Khan apologized for his emotions during the interview. “We are private, ordinary American citizens,” he said. “My conscience compels me under these very difficult circumstances. I am a very composed person. I don’t become that emotional in public discourse. But there is so much at stake.”

Capt Humayun Khan was killed by a car bomber in Iraq on 8 June 2004, four months after arriving there and after four years of service in the US army. His mother told MSNBC that, before her son left for war, she said: “’Don’t become [a] hero for me. Just be my son. Come back as a son.’ He came back as a hero.”

Trump insisted to ABC: “I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices.” He cited his “millions of dollars” in donations for veterans, although the businessman was found to have donated only after the Washington Post found he gave far less than he boasted he had over several months.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/30/donald-trump-muslim-father-khizr-khan-democratic-convention-speech

So just like his alter ego rocketsleggo, drumpf's first instinct is to deflect and question the wife instead of the man who challenged him. drumpf is a moron who has zero empathy and zero clue about others when directly challenged by them. He deflects, changes the subject and tries to paint himself as the victim when challenged. I would love to see this guy being grilled in front of a senate committee for 8 hours just to see him implode. He got crushed by a man worth more in human decency than drumpf will ever be in $$$.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Only because he died though. Trump likes his heroes alive and not captured.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If Trump loses Kasich is going to come out of this so fresh and so clean.

He's one of the Republicans that has remained classy through this whole thing and stuck to his guns, didn't sell out immediately like Christie or wasn't dumb enough like Cruz to appear at the convention.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mr. Khan gave his 7-minute speech at the DNC on Thursday. Tomorrow, Sunday, Mr. Khan (and Mrs. Khan?) will be on Meet the Press and Trump's interview taped today (in which he speculated that Mrs. Khan didn't speak at the convention because Islam forbade her) will also air tomorrow.

So, we are heading into Day 4 in which Donald Trump is running an election against a dead U.S. soldier's parents instead of, you know, Hillary Rodham Clinton. Meanwhile, he also attacked General John Allen and Michael Bloomberg-- two other people who are not candidates for the President. I'm guessing tomorrow Mark Cuban is gonna get added to the list as soon as somebody sticks a microphone in his face or his staff gives him his smartphone back.

The ghostwriter of The Art of the Deal, Tony Schwartz, is correct about the fact that Trump has no attention span. The guy simply chases every shiny object out there instead of actually formulate a strategy for handle multiple tasks.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Trump is going to find the right people to make the best A.D.D. meds

1 person likes this.
  11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I suddenly have new found respect for John McCain, Romney, the Bushes and even Cruz. Don't agree with them on most issues, but at least they have the balls to call out Trump and not just go along with the insanity.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Trump, the great unifier

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The main character of The Night Of is a Khan.

coincidence

14. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

rekttttt

15. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

You know what's funny is that there are so many different opinions on this board and a lot of people even hate each other but the truth of the matter is that we're all here for one reason. We're all fans of the Houston Rockets. Awww...

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not that I suspect Commodore needs or wants any defense, in fairness he did call Trump "sociopath" for Trump's comments about the slain Captain's mother (at least I hope they were directed at Trump).

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10640108&postcount=262

While you can't be expected to agree everything a candidate says or supports, Trump's comments and even follow up statements reflects a sociopath (as Commodore and others have pointed out). Hard to look at Trump and support anything else he does...

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Trump loves taking dumps on veterans and their families. I almost forgot what he said about McCain:

And a couple quotes from this jaw-dropping video:

"I know more about ISIS than the generals, believe me."

"I'm really good at war. I love war, in a certain way."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kgWJRjA-nIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Khizr Khan's interview today on Meet the Press which immediately followed an interview with Paul Manafort. Khan was very poised and dignified while Manafort seemed very defensive and even nervous. I don't know if that has to do with that Manafort might be more stressed and sleep deprived with running a campaign but the impression I got was that this is a huge headache for the Trump campaign.

One very important character trait of Presidents is knowing what fights to pick and what fights to ignore. This isn't a fight that Trump can win and if he was more disciplined would be best to ignore it.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

rocketsleggo has responded. Muslim, Muslim, Hillary, (picture of) Muslim, Hillary, Muslim, more Muslim and then end rant with donald drumpf.