1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWS]John Hinckley Jr. - Reagan's Would Be Assassin Released After 35 Years of Jail Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Manny Ramirez, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Can't believe that no one has posted this!

(CNN)A federal judge on Wednesday granted John Hinckley Jr., the man who shot President Ronald Reagan in 1981, "full-time convalescent leave" from St. Elizabeth's Hospital.
    The order allows Hinckley, Jr. to live full-time in Williamsburg, Virginia, but still under certain restrictions.

Hinckley and his lawyers appeared in federal court in April 2015 and argued that he had been successfully rehabilitated from his illness and that he deserved a release. But prosecutors worried that his family, struggling to pay the bills to treat his illness, could afford to take care of him.

Hinckley was 25 when he shot Reagan and three others outside the Washington Hilton 35 years ago. James Brady, the White House press secretary who was hit in the shooting, died in 2014 due to injuries from the assassination attempt, though authorities announced earlier this year that they would not pursue additional charges.

Hinckley has slowly gained some freedoms since he was incarcerated. In 2003, he was allowed day visits with his family, and since then has been granted longer visits.

He is not allowed to go near any member of the Reagan or Brady families, along with relatives of the Secret Service officer and the D.C. police officer wounded in the 1981 attempt, according to the court order.

Michael Reagan, the former president's son, asked for forgiveness Wednesday in response to the news.
    "My father did more than say the Lords Prayer He lived it in forgiving John Hinckley Jr...Maybe we should do the same," he tweeted.

But the Reagan Foundation itself was harsher.
    "Contrary to the judge's decision, we believe John Hinckley is still a threat to others and we strongly oppose his release," the Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute said in a statement.

link: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/politics/john-hinckley-jr-set-to-be-released/

I really can't believe this. No way in hell does this guy deserve to get out of prison. I don't care if he was mentally ill or not, he tried to kill the POTUS. If we let Hinckley out, why not Squeaky Fromme from the Manson Family who tried to kill Gerald Ford? She didn't even hit him with her gun as they stopped in her time. From what I have read she has been a model prisoner. And what the article fails to mention is that Hinckley is going to be living with his 90 year old mom. Yeah, that should turn out well... I hope I am wrong about this but I really don't think this guy should be released - setting a bad precedent as well as a slippery slope here.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting but not much relevant anymore. I doubt Hinckley will just be allowed free reign. He's going to still be under scrutiny. Will probably never be able to work or live anything approaching a normal life.

FYI I wouldn't care much either if Squeaky Fromme was released.

3. Buck Turgidson

Uh, about that...

Since 2014, Judge Friedman has allowed Mr. Hinckley to have 17-day stays in Williamsburg, where he has voluntary jobs doing landscaping at a Unitarian church and working in the library and cafeteria of a psychiatric hospital. He has also taken up bowling, attends lectures and outdoor concerts, and exercises regularly at a community center.

Mr. Hinckley will have restrictions. He will have to work or volunteer at least three days a week, and if he fails to show up, his absence must be reported to the authorities. He must live with his mother for at least the first year and carry a cellphone that tracks his movements.

The judge forbade Mr. Hinckley from speaking to or contacting the news media, and he can drive unaccompanied only within a 30-mile radius of Williamsburg, although he can also drive by himself to monthly hospital appointments in the Washington area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/us/hinckley-who-tried-to-kill-reagan-to-be-released.html

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dude is 61 years old. If Reagan's own son is good with it, I'm good with it.

5. TheresTheDagger

I agree with you in principle. You can make every argument in the world for how rehabilitated this guy is...and the experts who have been around him know his state of mind better than I do. All true.

Doesn't matter. When you let this guy out, NOBODY but God and John Hinckley know what he's capable of. Essentially, they are putting the value of the freedom of this man (who is guilty of multiple counts of attempted murder) over the value of life of every law abiding citizen. I forgive the guy, but will never forget or trust. He lost that in 1981.

FYI~

Lynette (Squeaky) Fromme was released on parole from Federal Medical Center, Carswell on August 14, 2009. She then moved to Marcy, New York. She has been free ever since.

1 person likes this.
  6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nah . . . I don't think you should be able to take a shot at the Pres and still get out of jail.

That should be a true life sentence
    Plus I think he was in a mental facility.

Others have done longer time . . . .

Rocket River

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Charles Giteau was nuttier than a maple log but we strung his ass up. The Rosenbergs were killed, although it was for espionage and allegedly gave the most dangerous information to the worst person possible.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Good news, Ronald Reagan was a piece of ****..

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Wow! I know he was no Hillary, but can we take it easy on the rhetoric?

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

in other news....Jodie Foster is still beautiful!

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

just in time to take on Trump ..

but seriously ,why 35 years in jail ?10-15 fair enough to me

1 person likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree with two points made earlier... anyone shooting at a President, any President (or any government official) should be looking at a minimum of life imprisonment.

And Jodie Foster is beautiful.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I understand some folks reticence at releasing the guy but he was a sick man who is no longer sick.

We have no problem isolating someone who is contagious and harmful to others but we release them when they are well and no longer a threat.

He did a horrible thing due to mental illness. He was sick. He is no longer sick.

Seems this is a real example and teaching moment for the utmost importance of mental health care as a precautionary tale and a "success" story.

And...Jodie is still gorgeous.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I read it described as simply "taking a shot at Reagan" two or three times in this thread..lets not dwn play this ..He shot Reagan in the chest as well as 3 others..Senator Brady was shot in the head and became paralyzed.This man suffered from his injuries for years and his death was attributed to the wound and was classified a homicide.Hinckley also shot a secret service agent and a cop,one in the neck and one in the chest.So yea,a huge distinction from just "taking a shot"

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was not meaning to be flip
    But yea . . . He did real damage and should not be released IMO

Rocket River

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I never even knew about the 2nd attempt on Ford by Sara Jane Moore, just 17 days after the Fromme incident. She managed to get a shot off and was released in 2007

19. TheresTheDagger

I remember that.

Yes, I'm that old. :cool: