1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 29, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those in CO or visiting...Wild Mountain Smokehouse in Nederland is really bad, despite it's appearances, views and waiting lines. I'm pretty positive the "brisket" was grilled in a skillet. I suppose the burgers are ok with a craft beer for the view, but good luck getting even water served in under 20 minutes.

I actually don't think I tipped last time...since it took like 45mins-hour to get in the order and get served the brisket sandwich which wasn't smoked, then 30 minutes to get a check and pay.

2. Buck Turgidson

Minus the brisket that sounds exactly like the Oasis in Austin.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

That is a disgrace to mankind.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A small one IIRC but not because of the food, the service was also very slow considering how small the restaurant was. Forgot to mention that we got the fried calamari and it was super greasy and breading fell off instantly.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Chains like Chili's are still the worst

I'd take places like Crisp or Pondicherri over them anyday

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pretty sure "Wild Mountain Smokehouse" must mean something else.

Pretty sure they were smoking pot in the back, and ran out of brisket (or never had any that day -- more likely) so while stoned decided to try grilling it...maybe baking for a few hours first and finishing in the grill. It was definitely grilled by those mountain high smokers, though.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Pondicheri is catered to people who don't know Indian cuisine, and think they're getting authentic Indian food with a fusion twist. It's not. It's overpriced junk that the chef (I know her personally) fully admits is her side project, and just an experimentation. The more I've gotten to know their business practices, the less I respect places like Pondicheri and Kiran's. At least with Chili's, you KNOW you are getting microwaved food that came in on a truck.....Pondicheri tries to sell themselves as gourmet cuisine, and dupes customers into thinking they're getting an exclusive experience.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was in CO. Got Colorado Cherry Company pie. GRATZ. Add all the food in Estes to the list. It's all MEH.

9. jsingles

jsingles Member

Applebees, went there a handful of times when I lived in the Woodlands and Conroe, portions were embarrassing and the quality was just terrible.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough, I think there are a fair bit of overrated restaurants (and breweries) in Houston these days

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I work very close to this and it's like the only BBQ place in the area. Don't think it's the worst BBQ I've ever had, but it's definitely mediocre at best.

12. Buck Turgidson

We pregamed at 8th Wonder last time I went to a Stros game. Great place to hang out, bocce is always good, but I tried 3 different brews and wasn't really impressed with any of them.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Once on a road trip the only place I could find to eat was Applebees. I knew it wouldn't be good, but I figured it wouldn't be worse than Chili's.

It was far and away the worst restaurant meal I've ever had.

14. Mr. Clutch

Yep, as much as I like their branding and what they're trying to do, they are one of those that doesn't really make good beers consistently.

Rocketfuel is their one really good beer. I like Dome Faux'm too but gets mixed reviews.

IMO St Arnold and Brash are the really good Houston breweries for now.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Karbach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> St Arnold.

imo.

Although I really don't enjoy either. I'm stuck on Stone Go To IPA. I did enjoy a [shutter]Dallas[/shutter] brew while there for work. Hop Trapp by Lakewood Brewing. I'm usually not a Belgian Styler kinda guy, but I was impressed.

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Brash is awesome.

17. Mr. Clutch

I will have to check that out. I had the Temptress by Lakewood and really liked it. Dallas and Austin have really good breweries

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I was going to say this. I had never been, and the TV adds looked promising. So I took my girlfriend to the one off 610/18th and it was almost laughable about how bad everything was as soon as we stepped foot in. Terrible service, absolutely terrible food, came straight out of a microwave for sure, and extremely over priced. Also, the beer was flat. I almost wanted to ask the manager why even put forth the effort?

19. Buck Turgidson

Thanks for the heads-up on Brash beers, will definitely look for them.

Literally the only redeeming quality about the Chili's here is catching a game on the patio with bar and tv overlooking the lake when the weather's nice. If you're starving the southwestern eggrolls are not at all terrible.

20. mikus

mikus Member

Work trip to northeast Pennsylvania last year and over 2 days ate at Perkins, Applebee's, and Olive Garden. Olive Garden beat the other two by a mile, even though it was a very low bar. By the end, even though I could expense the food, I was preferring to just eat at a McDonalds. That's pretty sad. We are very lucky here in Houston.