1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Happy Lukewarm is heating up.

It's a possible outcome at this point. Kings want to clean up. Rudy couldn't delivery with a bad offense. MDA would make him great.

I'll hear more today.

Bonus: NeNe and Rudy are tight. Tight enough for Godfather closeness.

Kings aren't going to ask for much for a player who wants out.

Also, the sap from those trees isn't fond of our resident D-I stopped playing becuase of my touches-Howard.

We will be a good, offensive team.

We just need that one defender that doesn't take ish. Where's Oakley when you need him?

2. basketballholic

But.........MDA loves Capela......right?

3. jamesdelia

jamesdelia Member

would they still want Ariza for gay? keeping ariza and having gay, gordon, moteijunas and nene off the bench is probably our best bet.

4. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

What I've read about Rudy Gay over the past year is that he's not that much of an athletic wing anymore, he's more of a tweener now. It makes sense if we bring him in to play the small ball 4, like we wanted to do with Ariza. If we could run Bev/Gordon/Harden/Ariza/Gay then we keep 2 capable Def players on the floor with plenty of fire power.

As far as minutes is concerned, Gay is going to mostly play what's left after Ariza/Brewer and Anderson/Motiejunas. Is trading Brewer worth the upgrade? If you want to play the insurance game, sure. We stand to lose a lot if Ariza goes down because no one can replace his defense, but if Gay is here to step in then we keep the offense going.

Bev/
    Harden/Gordon/KJ
    Ariza/Brewer/Gay/Dekker
    Anderson/DMo/Beasley
    Capela/Nene/Onuaku

Again, playing the insurance game, Gay might seem like a logical signing to hedge the bet against Anderson or Motiejunas or Ariza goes down because he can do offensively everything they all can do. Beasley is the same, offensive insurance.

Only thing Brewer doesn't bring is the offensive punch, but with the new offense he might spark up again to fast break again.

If it doesn't cost much but Dekker and maybe it's worth it.

Has Gay ever been on an up-and-coming contender before?

5. jamesdelia

jamesdelia Member

what are you giving up for gay in this scenario? probably 2 of ariza, brewer and KJ would probably be needed to seal the deal.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think they'd take Brewer and KJ for Gay.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We all HOPE they take Brewer (and KJ) for Gay, even those who might not want Rudy.

Until a player gets traded, the coach thinks he's the best. EH-vah.

#47 ROXTXIA, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. basketballholic

Yes we do. Especially if we can get Gay to agree to opt out next summer now. That probably won't happen right now but it would be nice to know we're not tired to him for 17-18.

9. thething

thething Contributing Member

If we had hired JVG, Oakley would be here.

10. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Thanks Cod!

Gay would be nice. He's got this old-world contract that from all angles looks like a bargain today. Still got steam. Used to have shot selection problems but that's to some extent offensive-system dependent. Can imagine how good a fit in a pure MDA system. Perhaps DMO S&T / [Brewer + Bev] + fillers would do?

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

insert joke about breaking up Gay Cousins.

Seriously though, wouldn't mind adding him if he can create his own shot which literally nobody not named Harden could do last season. Apparently Anderson and maybe Gordon can do that, but that is yet to be seen on our team.

12. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

The ESPN math says Gay for Brewer,KJ, Beasley, and Harrell

If we can hit on Gay and Dekker, which I feel is Gay-light (just needs to bulk up) then I think we have our small ball game on lock for now and the future. PLus, with 13.3M locked up in Gay, and he's only got 2 years, why not.

The 2nd year is a Player Option, but with the cap going crazy maybe he'll consider getting out of the contract for a renewal. 13.3M for a player like Gay now doesn't sound so crazy since Anderson signed for 4yr/80M.

13. rockets13champs

If im morey i only offer brewer+ beasley. Or i wait till tension builds up to the point where kings release him. Gay is instant offense. I love his length and size him off the bench is simmilar to warriors having iggy come off bench

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

So r we getting Gay?

[​IMG]

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Apparently, there is a Godfather involved, too

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

One of Dekker or KJ would have to go out. If I'm Sac, I'm asking for Dekker.

Gay could be a great fit as a stretch 4 off the bench. Would really solidify the rotation.

Beverley
    Harden / Gordon
    Ariza / Gay
    Anderson
    Capela / Nene

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If KJ, Brew, Dekker, and Trez are the main pieces, I don't see how we don't get outbidded

18. craguin

craguin Member

A godfather in the literal sense?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There will be an immediate level of comfort between Lowry and Gay. The two are good friends — Gay is godfather to Lowry's son — and as Lowry pointed out "I've already passed the ball to Rudy before, so … when he's here, it's going to be an easy transition for him and for our team I believe."
    [CBS Sports Canada] Kyle Lowry excited for new Raptor, friend Rudy Gay
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...in a way, I agree. It's not the most enticing offer, but then again...Rudy Gay is not the most enticing trade target. Teams won't be lining up to give up quality assets.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yes, Memphis. And they started playing better once they traded him.

Btw i'd never trade Dekker in a package for Gay, maybe KJ.