1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

O my god the potential!

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

brewer and dekker for gay, midseason gay for curry. who says no?
    no not a rudy gay for stephen curry trade.
    i mean in the midseason when the rockets prove they suck should i join the warriors bandwagon and be gay for curry?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gay for a gay, jolly team

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

our very own poor man's super team. a super no defense team.

5. Sanity2disChaos

Without giving up Ariza and Bev...I'd rather ship them out for an upgrade at the 1.like to phx for bledsoe.

I'd love to see..

Bledsoe
    Harden
    Gay
    Anderson
    Capela.

I think they would compete and surprise some teams.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm down for some Gay courting as long as it's not too expensive.

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If Gordon, Anderson and especially Bledsoe can stay healthy, that team is deadly on the offensive end. In the playoffs, we'd get exposed. But I'd love to watch that team and be entertained knowing nobody really had a true chance at beating the warriors besides my dad, LeBron

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I thought about Bledsoe as a possibility for Codman's riddle about "getting one of the birds", or something of the sort (the Phoenix being a bird)....but it would cost us Ariza.

And that I could see. Take a chance on Bledsoe's health. He'd be great next to Harden. And he's on what is now a reasonable contract. IF he's healthy.

But not give up Ariza? Not likely.

9. Sanity2disChaos

Yeah. I'd love to get Bledsoe and Ariza would hate it but it would have to be done. Gay would be a give and take replacement for Ariza.

10. Asian Sensation

If I didn't know any better I'd think Ariza was untouchable around here from posts about him lately. He's still inconsistent with his shot, can't drive or create, defense has dropped off, has a racked up a lot of miles and he's not going to get any better. If we can get Gay for Ariza + filler we should absolutely do that deal.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ariza + Beverley + Our 1st

for

Gay + Collison

Cleans up our cap quite nicely for next year and makes for a very potent offensive team.

Collison / Prigioni
    Harden / Gordon
    Gay / Dekker / Brewer
    Anderson / Beasely / Harrell
    Capella / Onuaku

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Now that I can get behind, though both players still do not put us over the top. A player like Cousins or Millsap would.

13. koby1868

koby1868 Member

A player like Gay would be a huge upgrade on the offensive end as far as being consistent and able to create a shot. If Ariza goes in the deal we take another major step backwards on the defensive end.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Needed Sam Dekker to "Donte Greene" it up in Summer League, to have similar repeat of acquiring star wing player from the Kings for PERCEIVED young rising talent.

15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Gay is a pretty good defender.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Isn't Steve Kyler a garbage "insider"?

17. anchel

anchel Member

I see Divac interested in Motiejunas. And it's known they're interested in Beverley.

18. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Rudy Gay is an upgrade.
    Do it Morey

19. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

20. basketballholic

That lineup looks good to the minds eye. But it's fool's gold.

What you have there is 4 high turnover deficit players surrounding Capela, with only Bledsoe being somewhat of a positive defender.

Turnover deficit players, or possession wasters, are players that turn the ball over more than they get it back on defense through steals and drawing offensive charges. Harden and Anderson, for instance, are players that turn it over at a rate of around 3 offensive turnovers to every single defensive turnover they get back. Bledsoe and Gordon are at slightly less than 2 turnovers for every defensive turnover they get back. And although Gay had a decent season last year and was basically turnover neutral, he has been around 2:1 fur the bulk of his career.

Now some of those turnovers could be considered to be offset partially by Capela's offensive rebounding but not nearly enough to offset 5 guys (including Gordon) that turn it over far more than they get it back.

Ariza and Bev, for all their spots (and I'm definitely for trading both guys and upgrading those spots) are both possession generators. That is to say their defensive turnovers generated far outweigh their offensive turnovers committed. They help offset somewhat Harden's huge turnover deficit. (But even both of them together can't neutralize that steaming wretched pile of waste.)

When you consider the lineup being suggested here with your top 6 players being Harden, Bledsoe, Gay, Capela, Anderson, and Gordon, understanding that when healthy those 6 guys are going to chew up about 75-80% of the game minutes plus your 7th guy, Nene, being possession neutral at best and eating up about 90% of the remaining minutes, then you are looking at a team that could be the league's worst in terms of turnover deficit. It's simply too many turnovers to overcome even with the improved shooting.

And nobody even close to just a meager 2:1 assist ratio. That group might not even make the playoffs.

#40 basketballholic, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016