1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MTV Classic Debuts 8/01/16

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Replacing VH1 Classic. Looks very meh. I'd love to have some old reruns of 120 Minutes, YO! MTV Raps, etc. Will watch Puck again though. The channel is not in HD with Uverse. Kinda ruins whatever they decide to put on that is even worth viewing.

MTV Launches 'Classic' Channel Dedicated to 1990s]MTV Classic Launch: Details About VH1 Classic’s Rebranding & New Lineup

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'll probably tune in on occasion. I'm sure the early to mid 2000s stuff from my teenage years will really hit the nostalgia button.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I had been recording 120 Minutes on VH1Classic for the last several years and as of July1 I no longer had VH1Classic - I'm hoping I'll get it - I'd love to be able to record older 120 Minutes episodes

4. LonghornFan

It disappeared from my channel lineup as well, but I found out it was no longer in HD. I found it on non HD but that's just impossible for me to view and enjoy any longer.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So basically the Gen-Xers that loved the 80's vids are $hit out of luck.

Once again MTV kicks the Gen-Xers in the crotch.

Maybe there will be a "VH-1 Ancient" channel down the road for us Gen-Xers.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

No Liquid Television?

7. LonghornFan

Those of us who grew up watching MTV in the 80's really don't get anything out of this at all. I mean, I seriously can't wait to watch Laguna Beach.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The lack of HD should be quaint in this case, no? :grin:

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Maxx? The Head?

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Beavis and Butthead, Daria, and Aeon Flux? I'm there.

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The channel has never been HD they didn't just take away your high def with the name change.

12. LonghornFan

Yeah I didn't even know I had the channel as I only watch hd

13. Buck Turgidson

Wasn't The State on MTV?

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh yes! I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT!!

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Odd how there's a blind eye to the 80's period when they show awareness of specific eras to present. They do HINT at 80's in the trailer, so maybe they'll OCCASIONALLY feature it full. Not sure why a "special" focus needs to be put in other eras though

It still seems its more about the SHOWS than about the MUSIC. If so, maybe they think there wasnt enough 80's programs that are rewatchable. The SHOWS did take off in the 90's and after to be fair. (Though that WAS the beauty, just focusing on the music and videos). Or maybe they want to keep some subject matter to VH-1, have them keep that older music niche. But then Gen-X'ers now have BUYING power to target advertising to. Would figure thats the bottom line.

For me, Laguna Beach was THE official END of my MTV interest. I didnt have so much hate against non-music video programming, but just have GOOD programs not flimsy see-through reality junk. And I actually LIVED CLOSE to Laguna Beach at the time and STILL didnt care for it.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i wonder if daria would still be funny if i watched it now.

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I stopped watching MTV when a bunch of weepy, self-absorbed Gen-Xers "banded together" to throw that idiot Puck out of the Real World house. I was like 14 and thinking, "this crap is beneath me."

I love a fair chunk of the programming they'll show, but at some point you're going to run out of stuff to play from 1992 to 2000-whenever Laguna Beach was on.

Meanwhile, VH1 Classic played a TON of 1990s stuff, had a show dedicated to it, played a version of 120 Minutes, had That Metal Show (until last year, at least), and actually played MUSIC VIDEOS.

When I got the full DirectTV package this channel was on all the time, much to the consternation of my girlfriend-now-wife (who actually gave me a "we'll watch 'Metal Mania' together" coupon for Valentine's Day once). And I was born in 1980, it's not as if this was nostalgia working for me, I missed most of these videos the first time around even though my parents had MTV from its premiere.

Most of all I'll miss the documentaries. Those and the live shows never got old. Obviously I'm pretty pissed about this.