1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Isn't the unwritten rule that Netflix shows that are released all at once are immune from spoilers about what happened the same way they are not required when talking about any episodes of any show on TV.

Did we ever vote on this wrt shows released all at once? Is there a grace period where we only do reviews?

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's what the spoiler tag is for rather than just putting *********SPOILERS********

None the less,
    the showrunner has stated that's something they'll explain in season 2 -- as to why there's only one.

Honestly, I got the impression there was more than one just from the way it was filmed (it also looked like there was an egg hatched somewhere also). That's not the way they've explained it, though.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. Any series people are currently watching or intend to watch should have all spoilers tagged appropriately.

I still can't believe she crawled into that tree. Who would even do that? So 80's.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Her going into the tree was crazy stupid...

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm talking about how with most all TV shows, we all talk freely about any episode that has aired.

Go look at The Night Of on this first page. Look at the Silicon Valley thread. We don't spoiler discussion of episodes that have aired just because someone out there might have not seen it yet or plans to watch. And some past shows that come to mind....Lost, TWD, everyone talks freely, except for spoilers of upcoming episodes. Fargo, True Detective. I could go on. GoT too, except for book talk and spoilers of upcoming eps.

My question is: with Netflix shows that release all at once, there does seem to be a time period were ppl only provide reviews and spoiler discussions. Then it opens up later.

Actually that's one downside of Netflix shows that release all at once, since we all binge at different times, we can't really have good discussions in between episodes. It ends up being talk like how we discuss movies. Reviews first, then after some unspecified time (or pages), general discussion of the movie happens without spoilers.

#145 heypartner, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

SPOILER POLICE!!!! HEE HAW....HEE HAW....HEE HAW!!!! (siren ends)

PONCH AND JON...SPITS (Spoiler Policy Internet Transit Officers)

PONCH: Spoiler that ***** up in this case. This show is still relatively new and it's a stretch to assume most people have binge watched it already.

JON: You said it, Ponch. Don't make us come back here.

#146 Surfguy, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't see the problem. They are released with the entire story at one time treated like a movie with regard to spoilers. A certain r****d spoiled the Star Trek movie before it was even released and he had defenders so don't complain this board is a spoiler police state.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This was a great series. Lots of good throwbacks. It's a combination of multiple 80s movies and it has a great feel from the characters to the sound track.

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Maybe my Favorite thing on TV this year.

The kids were outstanding (and it felt like Stand By Me a bit in a darker place). Wynona was great.

Clearly an homage to King, Spielburg, Carpenter & Dante

11. LonghornFan

I don't get the hate for Winona. I thought she was pretty great for a woman playing the part in her position.

Kids were fantastic. LOVED Dustin's character.

I'm gonna miss watching this and definitely want a second season.

One question-

Why did Hopper get into the black car towards the end? Was it only to take the food to the forest trying to attract and find #11?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Winona is great, just had a screechy voice.

This music sounds like the music from the Neon Demon or any Winding Refn films

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Didn't want to read this thread until I watched the whole thing, and sure enough there are people spoiling and people whining about spoiling. Like clockwork.

Anyway, awesome series. 10/10 would recommend!

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just finished this tonight. I really enjoyed it, thought it was great. Winona was really annoying until the last 3 episodes or so. I really enjoyed the Hopper and the curly headed kid was great. I look forward to season 2 and hope they will be able to keep up the quality of the show.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Curly headed kid

[​IMG]

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I think the car was Hawkins energy, don't know what kind of deal he swang. Obviously he learned from them she may be alive

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Me and the GF binged watch the whole thing in one night over the weekend. Both loved the show and all the movie references and what not. Fan of the soundtrack as well.

Can't wait for the 2nd season.

18. Nero

Nero Member

Finished the last episode last night. It was an oddly compelling series, but the whole time I was thinking to myself, 'Did we not have enough 'Super 8' from Super 8? I know the endgame wound up being different, obviously, and the inclusion of the 'Carrie' character took everything up to 'Eleven', so to speak.. but wow, it was a similar flavor overall. Like going to K-Mart and buying a pair of Chukas, and liking them so much, you go back the next week and buy another pair, only this time in gray instead of light brown.

Anyway, we both enjoyed it, it was compelling and kept us watching eagerly until the end.

Really enjoyed Harbour and Ryder together - I assumed they would end up together, but maybe next season. The teenagers were ok, the girl was adorable and surprisingly strong. The two teen guys were decent, but the stereotypes were ratcheted up so high, it was a little off-putting.

By far, the weakest link in the show was the young kids. Of course 'Eleven' was played VERY well, and the kid who liked her, he was all right. But the other two, 'Toothless' and 'Obligatory Black Kid' were dreadful. The black kid especially, you could see in every scene, he was just standing where they told him to stand, and motioning like they told him to, and saying the things he was supposed to say, in roughly the emotional state they told him to be in. You could see him going through the steps in his mind in almost every scene. I usually don't criticize actors, and especially young actors, but wow.. this was the best talent they could find in casting? The kid seems like a non-actor to me, almost like a grandson of a producer or something. Sophia Coppola/Jayden Smith bad, but worse.

So, that off my chest, it was still a great time binge-watching. Really enjoyed the whole thing overall, and I think a second season will probably be even better. The writers will have more to flesh out, they can expand a bit, the budget should be bigger, and all the performers will have had a lot more time to ingest their roles, and especially the younger kids, they should make tremendous strides from the first to the second season.

19. LonghornFan

"Toothless" was dreadful? Besides Eleven, many, including myself thought he was the best of the bunch.

20. Buck Turgidson

You may be the only person on earth who thinks this.