1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IRS Scammers Retribution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete the Cheat, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Pete the Cheat

Just started having co-workers spam them with calls.
    Figured Clutchfans could do even better

202-558-5489

Give my regards to "Frank Martin"

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Called the number, somehow ended up giving my bank info..

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Frank Martin

[​IMG]

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

These a-holes have really been hitting it hard lately. I was getting 3 and 4 calls a day on my mobile for a bit there. That stupid threatening voice mail that makes it sound like your arrest is imminent.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I got a call the other day from a guy saying my mom (he actually used her name) had gotten into a bad car accident, and that I needed to come to the scene. I'm pretty sure the string of obscenities and threats I had for him (in my best Batman voice) were so bad, George Carlin himself was smiling at me from heaven.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm right there with you. I've been hit with a wave of them over the last several weeks.

I continually find it hard to believe that enough people fall for those to make it worth their while, but then again, I suppose it probably only takes one or two in a batch of thousands of calls to keep them going.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh, I got that IRS call too, lol. I just hang up any call that has a pause before someone talks, for that's an auto-dial indication.

8. Pete the Cheat

So far the longest conversation we had him in for was 15 minutes alternating between offering him a credit card number and just deciding to meet him in person because he sounded like a trustworthy guy. Tomorrows a new day!

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IRS conmen are the worst.

10. red

red Contributing Member

They did this to my last roommate, found out he owed back taxes, threatened him with imminent arrest warrant. He went to 7-11, wired him $800. Whole time scammer wouldn't let him hang up. 7-11 attendant finally got through to my old roommate that it was a scam and cancelled the wire transfer before the time limit. My old roommate was/is an idiot.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, that's insane, it's stories like this that make it clear why these scams are still alive. I was hoping w/ the net it'd curb it, but no... It's worse now.

I had a string recently of silly calls like this, I don't even bother answering the phone if it's a non-recognized #. I figure if it's important I'll get a message, or some comedy time.

"hi this is the irs, send money to the magistrate" or "hi, you've been selected to... send us money", blah blah.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The IRS never calls they send mails...this is from my Tax man who is a former IRS auditor.

Oh and the DUMBASS 'Windows computer" callers are just as bad.

DD

#12 DaDakota, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I never pick up on area codes I don't recognize. If they actually needed to talk to me, they'd leave a voicemail.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They have been burning up my work phone number the last 3-4 months.

Fortunately, no calls at home.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was acting like I really wanted the Windows person to help me remove that dreaded virus. I kept them on the line for a while. She finally put her supervisor on as I was asking all kinds of questions. He recognized that I was just having some fun with them and ironically said "Why are you wasting our F'in time?".

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They're usually recorded messages, but if I'm lucky enough to get a live person, this is the shtick I usually do:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q4a6y1NZ-RM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It isn't entirely true. They almost never call (they never email). They will send several letters before you ever get a call. They are as likely to show up at your door as they are to call. You have to give them your phone number at some point for them to call.

Definitely never give personal information over the phone.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Doesn't prevent scam calls like these.

20. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I did this as well. They wanted to me to go to the prompt screen. When I do, they asked what does it say? I said "fs back slash something". He responded with "you need to tell me exactly what it says." I started saying very slowly, "it says 'this is a scam and its easy to figure it out'".

He came back with, "where does it say that?" I told the guy "literally all over the internet." He got frustrated and said "so you don't want to go through this process then? We're not the hackers, we're trying to help you. Stop playing games and wasting our time." I lol'ed when he hung up.