1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any cyclists on Clutchfans? I'm riding my bike across America.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Jan 24, 2015.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Bump.

Okay so I might do it within a month. I had work get in the way of doing it in the past but I'm strongly considering doing it in August.

I'm buying a Cannondale Synapse and I'm going to try to get from NY to Cali in just 21 days, so about 145 miles per day.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I believe you.

1 person likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hope you are going to have a support team because that is a lot of miles per day. That is a like tour de france distances, but you are going slow without the benefit of riding in a pack(reduces wind resistance). If you are really fit, you will still be averaging over 10 hours a day on the saddle. Your butt is going to give out on you. 145 miles a day is equivalent to running/walking 1.5 marathons a day.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

good luck lance armstrong!

:rolleyes::confused::p:eek::rolleyes::confused::p:eek::rolleyes::confused::p:eek::rolleyes::confused::p:eek:

seriously though, i love seeing the mentally challenged getting some exercise in!

5. SeabrookMiglla

why not try something shorter distance in order to get a feel of what you're up against before attempting to go coast to coast?

you'll probably pick up some tricks and experience and learn a bit more about yourself as well as your biking abilities...

if you wanna do it go for it, but you need to respect the road, it can be a brutal place and is not for the faint of heart.

i dont think this is the kind of thing you just want to jump into without a few preliminary runs to test yourself before making a large commitment.

i think its an awesome idea and i wish to do the road sometime in my life as well, but it takes a lot of planning etc. just be prepared for your own well being.

6. likestohypeguy

Just out of curiosity, what's the most you've ridden in a day so far? Not that training is all that important- the main thing is that you bought the right new bicycle.. The rest will work itself out.

But just for fun, maybe try a quick century one day before you embark. Will be nothing compared to the 145m/day you'll be doing, but just to give your bike a good test.

Good luck!

7. jae713

jae713 Member

How will you charge your phone and stuff?

8. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Can I have any Rocket related stuff you might have laying away, I mean since you prob won't be coming back from this. Sounds like suicide

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They have solar backpacks that charge phones

If you're gonna try to do 125 miles per day you will not succeed. Not saying you won't make the trip but just be aware that all roads are not flat and your body will fight you every minute after say, 75 miles. Give yourself a month or more or else you won't even enjoy your task and you will quit.

i do 60-100 miles a week and have done it for over a year.

#69 REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  10. SeabrookMiglla

not only are you up against topography, but also wind and weather fluctuations... a lot of variables come up in a trip like that... its no cake walk for sure... hell i get tired of just being in a car for more than 6 hours on a road trip, much less biking for x number of days straight...

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

RIP to your pelvic bone. Make sure to wear cycling shorts with lots of chamois butter.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Didn't you just get married ("for the lols")?

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So... didn't get that Tesla I guess?

Rockies, Sierra and Mojave gon get ya.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In the Race Across America, dudes don't even stop for piss breaks.

[​IMG]

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I hear that if you take a route through the center of all 50 states then it's downhill the entire way. You may want to consider giving that a shot.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

no way you can do 145 a day. I would guess if you tried this without training first you would MAYBE make it 2 days tops. Better check out the car rental shops about 300 miles from home so you can make it back

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FIFY

I love the enthusiasm and the pull to do something like this. But it's way way way tougher than you think. People that ride the MS-150 train for months to do that over 2 days...and they're completely spent when it's over. This isn't something you can just go do. This isn't the movies and you aren't Forest Gump.

I think this is something you should do...but you should prepare for it.

18. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Why would your ride your bike across America when you can take your beautiful new fiance/friend on a nice road trip in your brand new Tesla?

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Ride jacoby, ride...
    [​IMG]

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would use my electric bike with peddle assist, or just pure, mind numbing electric throttle power. 20 miles per hour, b****! Oh, and plug it in every night.