1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purchasing firearm online

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jul 20, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Has anyone here ever purchased a firearm online from a website such as cheaperthandirt.com? I have a dealer close to me that only charges $20 for the transfer. Even with that and shipping cost I'd still be coming out cheaper than Academy, Cabela's, etc.

Is the process really as straight forward as providing the FFL dealer info at time of purchase? Anyone have any experiences with Cheaperthandirt (good or bad)?

#1 HR Dept, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

#buyinggunsonlinematters

#don'ttazembro

3. macho87

macho87 Member

Cheaperthandirt.com?

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Tomball Pawn (actually a gun shop) if you want to buy locally and beat Academy, etc. on price.

5. HR Dept

Yes that is correct.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Doing an FFL transfer is easy enough. $20.00 is about the going rate. Shipping shouldn't be more than $30.00.

Any major box store will have a pretty big markup. Then throw in your 7% sales tax.

I use gunbroker.com to do my purchases. Tons of small gun dealers use gunbroker.com and offer some of the best prices I've seen. I also buy out of state to prevent sales tax.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If CTD already has the dealers FFL on file it won't be a problem. If they don't they will need to send it out, but they probably do. You might want to call the dealer ahead of time and talk to them before ordering it.

1 person likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

1. Check to see if CTD has your FFL dealer on file
    2. Call FFL dealer to let them know you are ordering a weapon through CTD and give them an order# if you have already ordered.
    3. If FFL dealer is not on file with CTD. They will have to send in their license # and info to CTD. Just provide the FFL with a fax or email they can send it to.
    4. Order if have not ordered yet.
    5. Wait for the dealer to receive firearm.
    6. Call dealer to check for arrival. Most times theyll receive and wont bother calling the customer.
    7. pay 20 bucks and enjoy being on the terror watch list and also practice responsible gun handling.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to do transfers for a living.

Most brick and mortar dealers hate transfers. If you've found someone to do it for $20 you're golden.

Cheaperthandirt is one of the biggest dealers of that European military stuff.

People seem to love that stuff, but the finish can sometimes be a little rough, and you'll become acquainted with the "joys" of cosmoline.

10. donkeypunch

Cosmoline can be recycled as war paint though. :grin:

What are you thoughts on 7.62x39 on ar platforms? reliable? feed issues? are the mags the biggest issue?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Never bought a gun from them but some mags. Shop around. Try BudsGunShop and KyGunCo. Buds actually is very smooth. Free shipping for guns at Bud's usually.

1 person likes this.
  12. HR Dept

Thanks for all the feedback, I went with Bud's. No sales tax unlike CTD.

13. donkeypunch

Yeah, I hate the fact that some of the bigger websites have physical locations in Texas and we have to pay taxes on stuff.

What did you get, if you don't me asking?

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've bought a bunch of guns from Buds. It's literally a 10 minute process to pick up the gun at my ffl.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I was going to post these two websites they are great. You will be suprised how easy the process is - go for it.

What gun are you looking to buy?

16. HR Dept

XD Mod 2 Subcompact 9MM.

Been eyeing it for over a year and just pulled the trigger. Pun intended.

17. CometsWin

I was looking at some of those Mod 2's last week. They had a bunch of cerakoted ones available, looked nice. I'm torn between the Mod 2 sc .45 and that new Shield .45.

18. HR Dept

I bet they looked DAMN nice. And I know the feeling of being torn. For me it was between the Mod 2 and the Glock 19. It came down to the XD being the one that I just really wanted the most.

19. donkeypunch

Been looking at something in a 45 and recently got a kahr cw45. It's been awesome so far. One of the smoothest triggers Ive ever shot and one of the easiest 45s I've ever handled. I got a super deal on it too. Couldn't be happier with it. Also accepts 1911 mags, which was a plus in my book.

Can't say much for the Springfields except for they're good guns but just don't feel right in my hand. The shields on the other hand are awesome pistols.

20. CometsWin

Do you know the pull weight on that trigger? It looks double action only. One thing I like about the Shields is all the aftermarket stuff.