1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas voter ID law struck down: Impact on U.S. election?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well an employee ID and a university ID is much less official, which is why you'd NEVER be able to use them to do anything not related to the job you got it from or the university you got it from. You can use a military ID to purchase alcohol, you can use it to pick up your kids from school. A CHL is really no different from a driver's license counting as a valid form of state ID. Both are state issued licences.

Honestly I'm fine banning military ID's when it comes to voting purposes, but all state issued licenses should count and they should be the only things that count. State ID cards, state issued licenses, and nothing else.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Maybe everyone should get a small bar code tattoo on their inner forearms at birth...for free.
    For freedom.
    For freedom to vote.

[​IMG]

I hear Texas AG is considering it.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Why are you against using military IDs?

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You need to study the intent of the authors. Several have specifically stated that the goal was to reduce the number of votes for Democrats.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Who though? Again, not saying it isn't true. I'd just like to read up on who they are and what they said.

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

These are also activities which are not rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are too easy to fake and the military doesn't do a good job of keeping track of them. I wouldn't want a VA card used either and I have both. The goal is to ensure the integrity of the vote as best as possible so I'd stick to state issued licences and ID cards. if you are a legal voter who interacts with society at all, you have one of them.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Buying a firearm is.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No, but the most important one is buying a gun, which does require a license when buying from a licensed dealer (33 states don't require it from an unlicensed dealer). I'm trying to find a number of how many guns are sold by unlicensed sellers (though I guess it would only be an estimation).

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ah I see, I wasn't aware they were easy to fake. I've never seen one before. Aren't licenses fairly easy to fake? Seems like everyone in high school/college had one.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For me, it's a quality issue. I remember back when I was in, there was a kid that was too young to drink, but he managed to scrape off a bit of his date of birth on the back and alter it to say he was older. He then could use that ID to get into bars. I dunno, it just seems to flimsy.

Now if they had a chip reader and could use that at polling stations to verify those military ID's, I'd think differently.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Try this...

or this...

Google is your friend if you really want to know.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Aren't you contradicting yourself? First you say university/state employee ID implies having legitimate ID, then you say they are not very official.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The ID itself is what is not very official, which is why you can't use it for anything else. Sure, if you have one of those ID's then you have legitimate ID, but again, try to use a university ID to start a bank account. They'll tell you it's not valid and they'll ask for your real ID.

There's simply no reason to accept those as proof of identification unless you want to make it easier for people to cheat the system.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So your proof is a barista at a college campus and a random column by someone not affiliated with the law at all? Solid.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I did google, but I was using specifically terms to to find news related to Texas' law specifically -- not voter ID in general. So the two you linked didn't come up because neither discuss Texas' law or Texas Republicans. Also, one of those is a staffer. The comment made it seem like elected officials came out and admitted discrimination.

Do you, or anyone else, know of any TEXAS Republicans saying such? Since this is a discussion about Texas' law.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You've still contradicted yourself. Your earlier post said almost directly that everyone who has a state employee ID or university ID does have valid pre-existing ID.

I agree with you that state employee ID's and university ID's are not really relevant to voting. For one thing, having a university or state employee ID does not prove you are of age to vote! (That's what you should have said :grin:)

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Why add laws about non-issues?

-party of small government-

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think his point was that if you were able to get one of those IDs you have a government issued ID because it was necessary to obtain that ID.

I see what you're saying, but I think Bobby's point is that those other IDs are easier to fake, so they ask for the government issued ID which is harder the fake and ANYONE presenting a form of ID that requires a govt ID to obtain HAS to have that "legitimate" ID.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't official ID's, make that argument to your bank or to the liquor store or to your gun store when they don't accept them....they still won't care.

I didn't even want to go down the route of saying that those ID's don't prove you are of age to vote because IMO they aren't valid forms of ID so they don't prove anything. I have a VA picture ID that I wouldn't accept for proof of anything.

To me this is all pretty ridiculous, something that is just a common sense rule is being made into a partisan issue for no reason whatsoever.