1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This times infinity.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's not how it works.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

they don't need to update the location of the player as often. It is also the reason walking distance has been so far off.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Haven't been able to log on. Anyone else?

5. sew

sew Member

Dropping a lure @ a usually vacant park and watching all the pokemon trainers flock to it is pretty amazing.

6. hvic

hvic Member

It is kinda hilarious

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Do it again, and record it. Would like to see it for the chuckles.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yea. I long boarded about 4 miles today with the app up and was only given credit for .8 km. Lame.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Apparently if you go too fast it thinks you are in a car and doesn't give you credit. I know there was a petition to the developers to up the speed so you can ride bikes and stuff to get credit.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I did about 12 pushups and 5 pullups today. I would like to receive credit for it.

11. heypartner

That's not what causes server overload resulting in timeouts. It's a symptom of overloads, not a cause. I can explain this in several ways.

Besides, when you are hunting for Pokemon, does the server show you where other players are? Theoretically, the server does not need to know where the player is very often at all, when you are hunting for Pokemon. The Phone's GPS knows where the player is, and it puts your location on the map in relation to where the server said the Pokemon are standing. The server only needs to supply the pokemon who are in each mapping grid -- at least to the extent of the Three Steps Away Bug.

Notice the bug report says the Pokemon are still there and will appear if you get close enough...it is just that you are essentially walking blind, and would have to stumble upon them with sheer luck.

#471 heypartner, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  12. Bandwagoner

It doesn't hand out the location of the Pokemon to prevent cheating it just gives out distances. The guys who are getting locations are spoofing several trainers and triangulating the locations.

13. heypartner

Not to you. I'm talking about how the app does GPS tracking. The location of the Pokemon is known to the app, in a client/server relationship. It just reveals it as distance only. Not sure what cheating has to do with that

But you're getting off topic about cause of timeouts. The app is not always sending your location back, and even if it did, that is highly unlikely to be the cause vs the bug being a symptom or completely unrelated

It happens all the time. Once a user experiences a timeout repeatedly, they start associating all bugs with the server overload issue.

14. Bandwagoner

You are the only one anywhere I see saying the app gets pokemon locations. Every other source says the locations are kept on the server and the player location is used at the server to calculate distance and those are sent to the app. In order to prevent cheating, a high load is placed on the servers. If the locations were sent out, the online maps of pokemon would be much easier to generate.

Similar to why the distances for walking are updated very infrequently even though if the app could update them constantly. Mine are usually seen in jumps of 500 meters when I am causally walking through Hermann park at probably 3.5 mph. Whatever the case, I'm sure it will be sorted out in a few weeks. Until then I have given up on hunting and am just grinding to level up. The infrequent location updates means you get about half credit for distance walked. It doesn't update location when you hit pokestops or gyms.

15. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I just bought $5k worth of $NTDOY stock due to this Pokemon Go craziness. Let me know if I am crazy, I figure with the news today that the Japan release has been delayed gave me a good entry point to buy the stock on a dip and when the inevitable release hits Japan it will skyrocket.

16. heypartner

Quick question: Once "spawned" by the app (if I'm using the correct term), do Pokemon stay at their position until caught...or do they expire to respawn somewhere else?

Also, can you provide a link about cheat prevention? I'd prefer one that isn't speculation, but rather what Niantic says. I question that they'd choose to fight cheating that way, because there are other ways, so why do something that isn't necessary.

Anyhoot, maybe I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, especially since they have been at it for so long. Maybe I'm defending them from the "it must be really bad code" lazy explanations.

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Some would say you might be late to the party, but there's never telling with stock. I wish you the best on this investment.

18. hvic

hvic Member

I was thinking of buying stock too. I know those japs will for sure go crazy once the game is released over there.

19. i3artow i3aller